Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Disney Plus Live Action She Hulk

« first < prev Page 11 of 13 next > last »
Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

I'm a lifelong comic fan (including several She Hulk runs) and an MCU fan. It appealed to me.

There's no accounting for taste. But there certainly is a lot of accounting to do for a series having lower audience metrics than Inhumans, trying to spin the achievement of it having twice as many viewers as the abject Ms. Marvel failure (making it Marvel's second-lowest premiere), and being the first Marvel show on Disney+ not to make any of Nielsen’s Top 10 lists.

Oct 14, 2022 - edited Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

There's no accounting for taste. But there certainly is a lot of accounting to do for a series having lower audience metrics than Inhumans, trying to spin the achievement of it having twice as many viewers as the abject Ms. Marvel failure (making it Marvel's second-lowest premiere), and being the first Marvel show on Disney+ not to make any of Nielsen’s Top 10 lists.

There's no accounting for taste, but I genuinely can't comprehend how anyone can praise such a poorly written show with CGI that fails to even meet the subterranean standard of MCU televsion. I understand why the girl bosses drunk on wine at 3 pm overlooked its flaws, but I'm convinced that anybody outside of that demographic who says they liked it is lying.

She-Hulk is not a bad character, but this is a very poor adaptation of it.

Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

I guess most folks here aren't old enough to remember, but that whole opening credits sequence for the season finale episode, with changing the tire, green contact lenses (or CGI now, maybe), turning over the car, and saying "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" is a throwback to the old Bill Bixby & Lou Ferrigno show from the 70s.

cgsweat
Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

I guess most folks here aren't old enough to remember, but that whole opening credits sequence for the season finale episode, with changing the tire, green contact lenses (or CGI now, maybe), turning over the car, and saying "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" is a throwback to the old Bill Bixby & Lou Ferrigno show from the 70s.

A show that ironically, when you compare the effects used in both, is more believable than its Disney counterpart. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a bodybuilder in green skin paint looks better than a 100% CGI cartoon.

Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

A show that ironically, when you compare the effects used in both, is more believable than its Disney counterpart. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a bodybuilder in green skin paint looks better than a 100% CGI cartoon.

Agreed. It's not hyperbole to say that there are more believable deepfake videos on deviantart. It's some of the worst CGI I've ever seen.

Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

There's no accounting for taste, but I genuinely can't comprehend how anyone can praise such a poorly written show with CGI that fails to even meet the subterranean standard of MCU televsion. I understand why the girl bosses drunk on wine at 3 pm overlooked its flaws, but I'm convinced that anybody outside of that demographic who says they liked it is lying.

She-Hulk is not a bad character, but this is a very poor adaptation of it.

I'm not lying.

fp909
Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

The issue is there is that hulk doesn’t really resemble Banner, at least until the 00s movies and they started using the actors faces. In the comic she still looks herself, just green.

The only clear cut way to accomplish this is convince someone to put on a ton of muscle and get painted. It’ll never happen. Next best option is to suit up a dude and make him green and work the face only

Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

Ms Marvel was a good show too.

Oct 14, 2022 - permalink

Overall the show was OK. It didn't really succeed in making it feel like must-see TV. There's not a single thing I can point to in its 9 episode run that made me feel excited for what is to come next. Everything in the MCU should be must-see. The moment Marvel starts releasing stuff that feels skippable is the moment the wheels might start to fall off the money wagon.

Oct 15, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by macdis
Oct 15, 2022 - permalink

I thought it was so clever and funny. The whole series was one big meta send up. Marvel needs more straight out comedy series.

Oct 15, 2022 - permalink

I loved the show. It was never going to be catered to schmoes, but it was a fun, breezy and lighthearted MCU series. I really hope it gets another season.

I thought it was terrific. So totally meta and pure comedy. It was very similar to the comic in the constant breaking of the 4th wall and the humor. Any MCU fan knew that it would never appeal to members of this site because there would have been no way for Tatiana Maslany to look like She-Hulk. I hope it gets renewed really fast because the MCU needs some more comic relief.

Oct 15, 2022 - permalink

She Hulk was supposed to be good?

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

I finished the season, I think it was a good show. The season arc was kind of messy and it was kind of the joke in the final episode, that wasnt all that brilliant but at least entertaining. No big paid off, but it felt fresh.

Yes I loved the reference to the eighties Hulk TV show, which I watched as a kid (and I think it may help with the muscle and strengh fantasies). Tatiana with the Bill Bixby clothes and using a painted fbb was really funny.

About the CGI, it wasn't perfect but it didn't bother me, in fact I find She-hulk to be very hot, with good defined muscles, and with great taste. It worked and I see some really bad shows from Marvel (I couldnt stand Winter Soldier and the Hawk for example, bad production, acting and writing). I liked the tone of the series, not the best writing but entertaining.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

The only clear cut way to accomplish this is convince someone to put on a ton of muscle and get painted. It’ll never happen. Next best option is to suit up a dude and make him green and work the face only

I follow lots of freakishly tall women in addition to musclewomen. There are many gals out there who are 6'7" or taller irl.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

I follow lots of freakishly tall women in addition to musclewomen. There are many gals out there who are 6'7" or taller irl.

Define “many.” Social media is not indicative of the real world.

Oct 17, 2022 - edited Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

Yeah, but how many of them are actresses? And how many of them would be willing to essentially become a bodybuilder for the length of the shoot? I don't even think it would be possible to build defined muscle mass on a frame that tall without pretty significant steroid usage.

Using CGI to depict She-Hulk isn't bad in and of itself. But the CGI completely fails to capture any of the stuff that makes musculature feel alive. There's no veins or vascularity, no moments when the muscle moves under the skin or seems "flexed". It looks like they used Stretch Armstrong as the model for her muscles, they look like they're made out of rubber or plastic or something. Too smooth and basic.

The Hulk CGI from 2008 had better musculature detail than this. Chest striations, branching veins across the shoulders, etc. I think it's clear that despite the massive budgets Marvel throw around they didn't quite have the funds available to do a full She-Hulk TV series justice.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

The Hulk CGI from 2008 had better musculature detail than this. Chest striations, branching veins across the shoulders, etc. I think it's clear that despite the massive budgets Marvel throw around they didn't quite have the funds available to do a full She-Hulk TV series justice.

I think this was a matter of taste, I actually liked the sugested hard muscles, with some cuts and overall athletic size and shape.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

Define “many.” Social media is not indicative of the real world.

I follow over 100 gals who are 6'5" or taller.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

I follow over 100 gals who are 6'5" or taller.

Awesome! There are as a rough estimate a little under 4 billion women in the world. Your 100 women of that height that you mention represent 0.0025% of all women. And of that percentage, how many of them have the acting ability and physique to pull off that look?

Like I said. Social media is not reflective of the real world.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

No idea lol, I just stroke to their pix lol...

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

And of that percentage, how many of them have the acting ability and physique to pull off that look?

Yes that's a good point, and that makes me realize that indeed CGI seems to be the only sane way. She-Hulk acts a lot, it is not just physical action like the classic Hulk.

Also they would have to CGI enhance in some ways, etc. And it wouldn't match with the stablished CGI hulks.

They kind of mocked the idea in the dream scene, she hulk would look like a clumsy fbb painted in green. Yes it would work more with a tall fitness girl, cgi enhanced, but you have the stablished trope of hulk face, the acting, voice etc.

cgsweat
Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

Yes that's a good point, and that makes me realize that indeed CGI seems to be the only sane way. She-Hulk acts a lot, it is not just physical action like the classic Hulk.

Nah, there are still ways to do it without using excessive CGI. They made normal sized adult men into hobbits in LOTR, lol (mainly with camera magic). And so I'm sure they can figure out how to do the reverse of that.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

I've dated women more muscular and defined than Tatiana and they definitely were natural. So I think it's extremely unlikely that Tatiana isn't natural. Just good genetics and very fit.

> But is Tatiana Maslany natty? > > A Girlswithmuscle told me you can't have visible chest striations and be natty.

I'm assuming the OP was being facetious, since some people around here think any girl who looks any more muscular than a 1980s aerobics bunny is automatically on steroids.

Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

I've dated women more muscular and defined than Tatiana and they definitely were natural. So I think it's extremely unlikely that Tatiana isn't natural. Just good genetics and very fit.

> But is Tatiana Maslany natty? > > A Girlswithmuscle told me you can't have visible chest striations and be natty.

« first < prev Page 11 of 13 next > last »