Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Disney Plus Live Action She Hulk

« first < prev Page 12 of 13 next > last »
Oct 17, 2022 - permalink

So so so disappointed they felt the need to use a male bodybuilder and make the Savage She-Hulk UGLY.

WHY?

They finally give us 2 minutes of an angry, hulking out, really muscular She-Hulk and they had to fucking make it a MAN? Why? The original Savage She-Hulk wasn't mannish AT ALL. She was just savage. What a shame. There was no reason to do it this way. Not in canon. Not anywhere. It just reinforces negative stereoytypes about muscular women when She-Hulk should have been the perfect opportunity to do the exact OPPOSITE. I guess between Luisa and She-Hulk someone at Disney had to make sure the old stereotypes that say muscular woman = man were reinforced. Very disappointing.

Oct 18, 2022 - permalink

So so so disappointed they felt the need to use a male bodybuilder and make the Savage She-Hulk UGLY.

WHY?

They finally give us 2 minutes of an angry, hulking out, really muscular She-Hulk and they had to fucking make it a MAN? Why? The original Savage She-Hulk wasn't mannish AT ALL. She was just savage. What a shame. There was no reason to do it this way. Not in canon. Not anywhere. It just reinforces negative stereoytypes about muscular women when She-Hulk should have been the perfect opportunity to do the exact OPPOSITE. I guess between Luisa and She-Hulk someone at Disney had to make sure the old stereotypes that say muscular woman = man were reinforced. Very disappointing.

I feel the same. That Bill Bixby spoof was a highlight for the series, and then they went and just used a dude for the Lou ferrigno part. Just use a goddamn female bodybuilder ffs!! How hard would that be?

Oct 18, 2022 - permalink

Perhaps, since they were spoofing the 70s show (image quality, edition, clothing), they were also parodying the availability of female bodybuilders at that time? Looks like the most logical explanation to me.

About the usual argument about painting an fbb / Figure / Fitness athlete green (one who can actually act)...sure, that would make a more believable She Hulk. But now you have the same problem in reverse for puny Jennifer Walters: not only she must look short, she must look much leaner. Unless they deepfake Maslany's or the cgi model's face into an actual buff woman for certain "muscle" shots, I think what it's been done is ok so far.

fp909
Oct 18, 2022 - permalink

i'm sure there is something here to do with SAG-AFTRA elligibility, unions being unions, the studio being the studio, availability of female bodybuilders--maybe they were looking for someone taller since most female bodybuilders are short. i haven't seen the clip yet in full so idk what their needs were

Oct 18, 2022 - permalink

> Yes that's a good point, and that makes me realize that indeed CGI seems to be the only sane way. She-Hulk acts a lot, it is not just physical action like the classic Hulk.

Nah, there are still ways to do it without using excessive CGI. They made normal sized adult men into hobbits in LOTR, lol (mainly with camera magic). And so I'm sure they can figure out how to do the reverse of that.

They did it in the original trilogy and with really tailored shots and diferent techniques (forced perspective, a tall Gandalf double or midget/kids doubles). And aside of the beautiful forced perspective ones (that sometimes required a construction of a diferent unique set for that task), it was kind of noticible.

And then in the Hobbit they made the hobbits small just by CGIing everything else in the shot (and everything look cheap and generic). The Hobbits and dwarves just battled CGI monster in cgi fantastic sets.

Oct 18, 2022 - permalink

i'm sure there is something here to do with SAG-AFTRA elligibility, unions being unions, the studio being the studio, availability of female bodybuilders--maybe they were looking for someone taller since most female bodybuilders are short. i haven't seen the clip yet in full so idk what their needs were

This is a fair point. Still tho.... It's like wigging for women's stunt doubles.

But not like its going to change anything (and understandable that productions operate with a different logic)

Oct 24, 2022 - permalink

This is a fair point. Still tho.... It's like wigging for women's stunt doubles.

But not like its going to change anything (and understandable that productions operate with a different logic)

It's like the Black Widow movie, the producers always talked about "giving female characters their space", but guess what?... In the movie they used a guy to portray Taskmaster stunts, and SPOILERS... Taskmasters in the story is a woman, why didn't they use a woman stunt double to be Taskmaster, but no, i imagined the plot twist wouldn't work then, Marvel has become real lazy and brainwashed...

Oct 27, 2022 - permalink

No need to get defensive. The projection is wholly on the part of the writers.

And why even bring up schmoes? The show is bait for comic book fans and supposedly meant to cater to the general MCU audience, while failing to appeal to either. It's an incoherent, terribly written, tone-deaf uncanny valley CGI fest that can't even save itself with She-Hulk's traditional fourth wall breaking antics.

Call me a sexist, but I have never watched a female-directed action film or series that I liked. I hated Captain Marvel and Black Widow; both were directed by women.

Oct 27, 2022 - edited Oct 27, 2022 - permalink

Call me a sexist, but I have never watched a female-directed action film or series that I liked. I hated Captain Marvel and Black Widow; both were directed by women.

Have you watched Jessica Jones? I thought the first season of that was excellent.

Oct 27, 2022 - permalink

Have you seen wonder woman by patty jenkins?

I am critical of the late superheroe movies, but this one I enjoyed for the smooth picture and atmosphere and the unexpected turns in the storyline. Reminds on the old 70s WW comic books.

Oct 27, 2022 - permalink

I am not sure about super hero movies but some good old action movies where directed by women like point break and hurt locker.

fp909
Oct 27, 2022 - permalink

Have you seen wonder woman by patty jenkins?

I am critical of the late superheroe movies, but this one I enjoyed for the smooth picture and atmosphere and the unexpected turns in the storyline. Reminds on the old 70s WW comic books.

WW1 was good. WW84 was terrible.

WW1 was directed by a woman, but came from a screenplay written by two dudes based on a story by a different dude.

WW84 was directed (again) by Patti, but the screenplay Patti, Geoff Johns, and another dude, based on a story by Johns and Jenkins.

Clearly the story was a huge issue in the second movie, and generally it didn't look as good (though it did suffer from pandemic production issues and a bunch of reshoots).

Geoff Johns is still polarizing as a writer (depending on what characters and titles you prefer). Jenkins doesn't have exttensive writing credits. In fact she only has one other of note, Monster, which of course won Charlize Theron an Oscar, but Jenkins didn't write that story. Real life did--she wrote the screenplay.

SO there's nothing to suggest that women can't be good action directors, or comic book directors. It's just that a lot of things suffer from time crunch, and major factors like writers and directors having little to no production experience (they're easier to control), little to no knowledge of the source material, or even care for source material.

Oct 27, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by bonaciti
Oct 27, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Oct 27, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Oct 27, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Oct 27, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Oct 28, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by Praxis2
Oct 28, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Oct 28, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Oct 28, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Oct 28, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
cgsweat
Oct 28, 2022 - permalink

This thread is beginning to get way off topic...

Please keep the discussion related to the Disney-produced She Hulk series.

Oct 28, 2022 - permalink

A question... How Would You "adapt" She Hulk comics In this show... From 80's, 90's?. Let me read your answers

fp909
Oct 28, 2022 - permalink

the best way to do dated adaptations is to avoid adding anything that dates the material.

if the messages are timless, that's fine. but including (explicitly) megan thee stallion and twerking seems like a late cultural moment. remember when Black Panther dropped "what are those" 3 years too late? Sure, in the context of the movie you could say "well they're closed off and got the message a little late. But we all know that the production took so long to filter through layers of marketing and execs that the moment was over and the meme was dead.

avoid meme graveyards

don't include famous people as themselves. brief cameos are of course ok (i think elon had a passing mention in Iron Man) if they don't linger.

don't look at what's trending at the time of production and do it for the kids. by the time you've written it the trend has passed.

origin stories shouldn't be changed, unless the original scope is far exceeding what's currently in circulation (aka don't do a cosmic origin before the scope has become cosmic). in the show i believe she gets a couple of drops of blood and changes--how is that better than getting a full transfusion from Banner? why change that at all?

i just read a blurb that it's better for both characters because it gives her agency and involves consent but here's a list of heroes that got powers without their consent (in movies): Fantastic 4, Spider-man, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch. Pretty sure Captain AMerica and Black Panther are the only ones that didn't have powers and then accepted them willingly.

« first < prev Page 12 of 13 next > last »