Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Why was this image merged?

tamarok
Oct 05, 2022 - edited Oct 21, 2022 by chipperpip - permalink

In a similar vain as the "Why was this pic deleted?" thread, this topic is here to answer why an image was merged.

Before asking, consider the following:

• By default, older images and better quality images win the merge
    • Note: older is not by the published date (displayed), but by the upload date. The image number is the best indicator for age.
  • If two images look similar, even if it is a slight hand movement, then they are candidate for merge
  • Images that are considered upscaled will lose the merge
  • An image that is a collage will typically lose the merge
  • If any image of a model is a before/after, then typically they won't be merged
  • If a moderator considers one image to be a higher quality, then it will win the merge
  • All the uploaders in the merge get to share the points, but please don't make it about the points
  • It is okay to not get the merge priority. Even moderators lose when they upload a duplicate.

If after reading all this you still think a merge went the wrong way, then please mention it here. You may not agree with certain decisions, but please stay civil.

Oct 21, 2022 - edited Oct 21, 2022 - permalink

I changed "larger images" to "better quality images", since there are situations where for instance Instagram has both a 1440p and a 1080p version of an image available on their servers that are visually identical (I believe in those cases the larger version is an internal resizing by them), and so the older image would take priority. Plenty of times the larger one on their servers is actually better though, it probably depends on the original resolution of the photo uploaded to Instagram.

A similar thing goes for videos, a somewhat smaller resolution video with a higher bitrate might be smoother and better quality overall.

Oct 21, 2022 - permalink

I'm pretty sure my upload was both older and better quality, so I don't understand why my upload was merged into the other one.

cgsweat
Oct 21, 2022 - permalink

I'm pretty sure my upload was both older and better quality, so I don't understand why my upload was merged into the other one.

Your upload in fact was not older.

• Your upload ID: 1839206
  • ID of the other image: 1839163

Aside from that, the difference in quality is what I would consider negligible or insignificant.

Oct 21, 2022 - edited Oct 21, 2022 - permalink

I think I’ve probably annoyed plenty people with my complaints about my posts being merged. While I do apologize for complaining to much, I will admit a sense of frustration when a pic I post gets merged, even though I did post it first, hours, days and even a few times weeks and months after I posted the image.

I do understand why in the beginning considering I would post images that were screenshotted, and maybe sometimes I didn’t crop the image the right way and the other post was of better quality. And I do admit to posting some pics after someone else did and I totally get being merged because of that. But now I’m using an app that downloads the image, so there really shouldn’t be too many quality issues with the pictures I post.

So I do get that sense that the reason my posts get merged was because the more established members get priority and I do want to be somewhat on that level.

But I am glad I read the OP’s post because it probably really isn’t a big deal. I’m kind of venting my own personal frustrations and I don’t like losing pictures I post to someone else. But I won’t complain anymore.

cgsweat
Oct 21, 2022 - permalink

I've messaged you before about the images you upload and offered help as to how to properly download higher quality images as opposed to the method you continue to use to this day.

Oct 21, 2022 - permalink

I've messaged you before about the images you upload and offered help as to how to properly download higher quality images as opposed to the method you continue to use to this day.

I know and I appreciated that. And I do use an app to download higher quality images.

Oct 22, 2022 - permalink

I should note this is exactly one of the cases I was talking about where the 1440p version from Instagram is nearly identical to the 1080p version.

Oct 22, 2022 - permalink

Your upload in fact was not older.

• Your upload ID: 1839206
  • ID of the other image: 1839163

Aside from that, the difference in quality is what I would consider negligible or insignificant.

Ah, okay, I wasn't aware. At the moment I upload, I always check the pics of the woman by searching for her name. If the pic is already there, I don't upload. As far as I remember, the other pic appeared long after mine (maybe a week?) so I thought the other upload was more recent - I didn't check the numbers.

And about 'nearly identical': I suppose this is a bit of a grey zone, because I've seen my pics being merged into pics which were - in my eyes - hardly any better.

Feb 17, 2023 - permalink

Why I am not able to find this post of sunny andrews under my profile.. I believe I have uploaded it earlier than the other guy before it got merged.. Pls explain

tamarok
Feb 17, 2023 - permalink

Why I am not able to find this post of sunny andrews under my profile.. I believe I have uploaded it earlier than the other guy before it got merged.. Pls explain

Looking at the two videos, it was a choice over which rotation looked right. Yours was portrait and the winning video was landscape. This looked more appropriate for the content.

Feb 18, 2023 - permalink

Ah ok , thanks for replying

Feb 21, 2023 - permalink

Can anyone tell me why I can't find this pic under my profile.. I'm pretty sure I have uploaded it way earlier and I believe difference in quality of picture is almost negligible.. Pls explain

tamarok
Feb 21, 2023 - permalink

Can anyone tell me why I can't find this pic under my profile.. I'm pretty sure I have uploaded it way earlier and I believe difference in quality of picture is almost negligible.. Pls explain

Yours was older by minutes and also smaller. The winning image didn’t appear to be an upscale either.

Feb 26, 2023 - permalink

My upload was merged into this one: https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/1949825/ I don't have a copy of mine, so I'm not 100% sure, but my upload was surely older; and I think it was larger. The new one is longer, but I guess that's because of the TikTok ending.

cgsweat
Feb 26, 2023 - permalink

I have reversed it.

Feb 26, 2023 - permalink

Looking at that, my original decision was based on time. Ignoring the tiktok ending, there seems to be about 20 seconds of actual footage in the newer one, vs. 18 seconds in the older one. Looking closely, it appears that the 2 seconds of difference are at the beginning of the clip.

But the differences are really trivial because she isn't really doing anything special in those two seconds, so either way is fine with me. ;)

Apr 09, 2023 - permalink

https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/images/full/1...

I don't want to comment here often but I have a question. I'm not sure whether my upload was older or not but I'm hundred percent sure mine was bigger in size. Then why it got merged. Thanks.

cgsweat
Apr 09, 2023 - permalink

Bigger is not always better. If that was the case, then everyone would be enlarging pics at the expense of quality as a way to cheat at winning merges.

Apr 09, 2023 - permalink

Then on what basis it won the merge priority ?? Coz there is negligible difference in picture quality and if time was a factor then everytime the first upload would have won the merge..

Chainer
Apr 09, 2023 - permalink

The one that won the merge has a slightly higher amount of detail. You can tell by looking at finely detailed parts of the picture, like her hair.

The image that was merged:

The one that was kept:

The merged one is noticeably more blurry than the kept one.

Apr 11, 2023 - permalink

My earlier upload was merged into this one:

. It is clear that the newer upload has a higher resolution. However, as I pointed out in the comments, the picture I uploaded was posted by HerBiceps on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpdlNOOvkKs/. I downloaded the highest resolution from that post. I can't find the picture in higher resolution, so I'm wondering about the source.

tamarok
May 15, 2023 - edited May 15, 2023 - permalink

My earlier upload was merged into this one:

. It is clear that the newer upload has a higher resolution. However, as I pointed out in the comments, the picture I uploaded was posted by HerBiceps on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpdlNOOvkKs/. I downloaded the highest resolution from that post. I can't find the picture in higher resolution, so I'm wondering about the source.

I just had a look. Your image was both a cropped version of the winning images and slightly fuzzier too. As for the source you’d need to ask the other uploader.

May 23, 2023 - edited May 23, 2023 - permalink

https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/1488898/ was merged into

although they are different videos (albeit similar)

1488898:

May 23, 2023 - permalink

https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/1488898/ was merged into

although they are different videos (albeit similar)

1488898:

They're redundant enough that I don't have a problem with that. That said, my guess is that if you have her Instagram history captured there might be several Story videos that form a single longer one that those were both a part of (with one being a cropped repost on her main feed). If that's the case, a combined version would win out over both.

« first < prev Page 1 of 4 next > last »