Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

FBBs on UK TV

Jul 14, 2022 - permalink

I also remember Channel 4 covering The World Games in late 80s. Back then bodybuilding was one of the included sports so I scoured the schedules and ended up sat watching Christa Bauch competing one midweek morning. What an awesome FBB she was! There must've been other competitors but Christa's biceps seem to have obliterated all other memories I have of that morning!

Jul 14, 2022 - permalink

I remember Channel 4 World games coverage. Sadly didn't come back. And they've dropped bodybuilding from the games now.

Jul 14, 2022 - permalink

Great thread and some great memories.

My turn, on BBC2 they aired a program called The Ritz which was a Comedy about bouncers. This was shown late on BBC2-poss a re-run as originally aired in 1987 The program which came on afterwards was educational learning and had a female bodybuilder in the title sequence. Anyone else see this?

Jul 15, 2022 - permalink

Regarding the Noel Edmonds clip Whatever Next, putting two and two together (and likely getting five) it may well have been Lohani Noor in the audience.

Also remember Donna Hartley appearing on Tomorrow’s World testing a BMI measuring instrument and on a daytime show called All Well And Good which I was lucky enough to catch being home from school but had her interviewed in a large pink jacket which covered her physique, tragically.

Also recall a figure girl and a male BB posing off against a skinny audience member on an Andrew O’Connor show (One to Win?) which I missed as my dad entered the room and started reading the paper for the exact duration of that segment so I kept flicking channels.

Paula Bircumshaw on Jasper Carrott.

Didn’t Bernie Price have a cameo on an episode of The Bill featuring a steroids bust?

I also recall a feature length stage show thing called It’s A Girl celebrating women, and being convinced Joanne Lee was in the front row in a bikini so presumably had contributed some sort of routine. Was furious at missing that.

Jul 15, 2022 - permalink

Another formative experience was when Barry Norman reviewed Pumping Iron 2 on the film programme. They showed a few clips including the posedown sequence. I think the first time I'd ever seen contest footage. Mind-blowing.

Jul 16, 2022 - edited Jul 16, 2022 - permalink

London’s Burning

I guess this must bring back some memories for some of you older britts. I don’t know anything about the show except that it’s from the UK.

Jul 16, 2022 - permalink

London’s Burning

I guess this must bring back some memories for some of you older britts. I don’t know anything about the show except that it’s from the UK.

Wow remember the show not that scene , great find

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

London’s Burning

Great find!

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

A few years ago The One Show had a lengthy segment on female bodybuilders. It used to be on YouTube but seems to have disappeared now unfortunately!

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

For those who were familiar with the 90s music scene, there's this clip of British electronica legend Aphex Twin, interviewed by MTV Europe in 1996 during a live performance during the Big Love Festival at Otmoor Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndV_5q8Tkc&t=94s

The two FBBS are Bev Hahn (Blonde woman in red bikini) and Pat Noel (Black woman in purple bikini).

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

For those who were familiar with the 90s music scene, there's this clip of British electronica legend Aphex Twin, interviewed by MTV Europe in 1996 during a live performance during the Big Love Festival at Otmoor Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndV_5q8Tkc&t=94s

The two FBBS are Bev Hahn (Blonde woman in red bikini) and Pat Noel (Black woman in purple bikini).

Love it great clip ty

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Ok not strictly a FBB, but she is a strongwoman with some powerful muscle. 2016 time…Stephen Mulherne had a show on ITV called Go For It…bending frying pans! 💪🏼 Safe link btw 👍🏻

https://m.facebook.com/Commando-Temple-Strong...

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Works for me

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

My first memory was a trailer on ITV for a contest ‘Meet Miss Sweden, meet Miss USA, Miss Canada etc’ accompanied by said ladies posing, but I never got to see the programme itself, think it was about 1980 or 1981. Can remember an FBB on a medical/educational programme in the 1980s to demonstrate the various muscles of the body, and another on a programme where people with unusual diets were invited to a banquet in a country house to try each other’s diets, fairly sure that was Bernie Price, in an evening dress and looking stunning, probably 1990s.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Muscle nostalgia I love it, eurosport was my epiphany

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Eurosport was awesome

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Saturday night as I remember it , ...

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

...and another on a programme where people with unusual diets were invited to a banquet in a country house to try each other’s diets, fairly sure that was Bernie Price, in an evening dress and looking stunning, probably 1990s.

I didn't see this programme, but I do remember reading about it in a copy of Musclemag. I can confirm that it was definitely Bernie Price.

Jul 18, 2022 - permalink

I remember Rosemary Conley interviewing US female bodybuilders on “This Morning”. The angle was most women want to lose weight, but some want the opposite…. It featured Alexandra Paul from Baywatch but then went to a gym scene with pro FBBs, I distinctly remember a blond lady with massive calves working out.

Jul 18, 2022 - permalink

Not a tv show but I remember an article in the Sun newspaper, mid 90s, where they had 4 women standing in a row in bikini's and they all had distinct different body shapes and they had 3 guys commenting on each. One was a large lady, one was skinny, one was blonde and curvy and the final one was muscular. I recall she had massive legs. 2 of the guys, young, said that the blonde busty girl was the best, no surprise, and the muscle girl was too muscly and I remember one of them saying that he plays football and has never seen any player with legs as big as hers. The other guy who chose the busty blonde said he thought the muscle girl was good looking but he couldn't have a girlfriend with bigger muscles. The final guy was middle aged and his choice was the muscle girl, good on him. He said that his wife was a PE teacher and he has always liked athletic women and it's probably the younger guys who would.find it too much.

Anyone remember that article? I remember her name, it was Janine Payne....

Jul 18, 2022 - edited Jul 18, 2022 - permalink

I remember Janine Payne, a very good figure competitor! I also remember TSW (Television South West) doing a feature on figure competitor Marcie Aylott from Torquay, showing her training. I couldn't believe how muscular she was. I think it was late 80's or early 90's.

Jul 19, 2022 - permalink

One of best bits of all this was trying to find ways of recording the shows on the clunky old family VCR without getting caught by siblings or parents. Christ, it was nerve shredding! I remember when that Muscle Madness mentioned above was on I pretended I wanted to record something before it but "accidently" set the record time to 2hrs and spent the time between 9pm and 10pm when it aired shitting myself in case someone noticed the VCR was inexplicably still recording. Then it was a case of waiting for everyone to turn into bed so I could watch it. I'd write "Match of The Day KEEP" on the tape.

Honestly, today's young adolescent schmoes have no idea how bleeding lucky they are! Wall-to-wall FBBs on YouTube for them 24/7.

Jul 20, 2022 - permalink

I could never set the timer , so they would be hrs of crap until muscle,, then the wait to be alone, prolonged anticipation, often programmes delayed so might only get a hit of fbb, but still managed to be used lol

Jul 20, 2022 - permalink

One of best bits of all this was trying to find ways of recording the shows on the clunky old family VCR without getting caught by siblings or parents. Christ, it was nerve shredding! I remember when that Muscle Madness mentioned above was on I pretended I wanted to record something before it but "accidently" set the record time to 2hrs and spent the time between 9pm and 10pm when it aired shitting myself in case someone noticed the VCR was inexplicably still recording. Then it was a case of waiting for everyone to turn into bed so I could watch it. I'd write "Match of The Day KEEP" on the tape.

Honestly, today's young adolescent schmoes have no idea how bleeding lucky they are! Wall-to-wall FBBs on YouTube for them 24/7.

100% this!

Jul 20, 2022 - permalink

You taped "Muscle madness", do you still have it? Have wanted to see that again ever since it was first shown. I don't think it has ever been repeated. I didn't know there were VCR's in 1981!

« first < prev Page 2 of 7 next > last »