Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

FBBs on UK TV

Jul 20, 2022 - permalink

Anybody remember one of the cruellest and most badly conceived tv shows ever to be broadcast . Premise of the show was that there was a blacked out room with two "attractive" women inside together with an off season Joanna Thomas . Men were given a limited amount of time inside the room and had to pick their favourite . Joanna was openly mocked for being an "unattractive monster" but even in off season shape she looked incredible - and had far more character and sensuality than anybody else . God knows what the pure nastiness of this show did to her self esteem and confidence . At least six episodes were made - sorry can not remember the name of the show - anybody have any ideas . Watched on UK freeview - can not find on IMDB

Jul 20, 2022 - permalink

One of best bits of all this was trying to find ways of recording the shows on the clunky old family VCR without getting caught by siblings or parents. Christ, it was nerve shredding! I remember when that Muscle Madness mentioned above was on I pretended I wanted to record something before it but "accidently" set the record time to 2hrs and spent the time between 9pm and 10pm when it aired shitting myself in case someone noticed the VCR was inexplicably still recording. Then it was a case of waiting for everyone to turn into bed so I could watch it. I'd write "Match of The Day KEEP" on the tape.

Honestly, today's young adolescent schmoes have no idea how bleeding lucky they are! Wall-to-wall FBBs on YouTube for them 24/7.

This was so me!!

Jul 20, 2022 - permalink

This sounds like it could be a programme called 'Dating In The Dark that was shown on Sky Living from 2009 to 2011. There were three series apparently. Some of it may be on YouTube. I'll have a look to see if I can find it.

Jul 20, 2022 - edited Jul 20, 2022 - permalink

> One of best bits of all this was trying to find ways of recording the shows on the clunky old family VCR without getting caught by siblings or parents. Christ, it was nerve shredding! > I remember when that Muscle Madness mentioned above was on I pretended I wanted to record something before it but "accidently" set the record time to 2hrs and spent the time between 9pm and 10pm when it aired shitting myself in case someone noticed the VCR was inexplicably still recording. Then it was a case of waiting for everyone to turn into bed so I could watch it. I'd write "Match of The Day KEEP" on the tape. > > Honestly, today's young adolescent schmoes have no idea how bleeding lucky they are! Wall-to-wall FBBs on YouTube for them 24/7.

You taped "Muscle madness", do you still have it? Have wanted to see that again ever since it was first shown. I don't think it has ever been repeated. I didn't know there were VCR's in 1981!

Ah no, it's long gone. I doubt I managed to keep it more than a month or two. We weren't particularly well-off (we rented the TV and VCR from DER) and I recall that blank E180 VHS tapes were about a tenner so at some point my mum or dad would have demanded the tape be used to record something they wanted. You then ended up in that tense position where they'd be watching something they recorded, that'd end and then the residue of the stuff I'd recorded would come on screen....

https://gmvbodybuilding.com/bodybuilding-vide...

Jul 21, 2022 - permalink

Elaine Bell was on the “Feel the Sportsman” round of They Think It’s All Over in the 1990s

https://youtu.be/S3gj6t9eFjk

Jul 21, 2022 - permalink

When I went to the UK in the 90s I saw a VHS in London and later in a Virgin store in Torquay called “Ms Nude International” and it had a FBB competitor on what seemed to be a nude beauty pageant. I was to shy to glare at it and even more afraid to buy it. I was 14 at the time. Anyone remember this one!?

Jul 23, 2022 - permalink

This is a longshot but someone might remember it....

A beer advert on Thames TV in late 70s. I can't remember the beer brand but the gist of the ad was a barmaid pulling pints of a popular ale with an old fashioned beer pump. The payoff was her flexing her big bicep peak that she'd built up through pulling the pump all night.

The barmaid was an attractive blonde who looked like Sandra Dickinson (maybe it was her?) and I can't recall if it was just a crude bit of trick photography substituting a blokes bicep into the frame or a genuine flex by the barmaid. All I can remember was that it was very effective and I always had my eyes on stalks when I saw the ad.

Jul 23, 2022 - permalink

I remember that. I thought it was trick photography!

Jul 24, 2022 - permalink

Ch4 banzai mad challenges. One time I saw a preview of a trolley joust and I’m sure a female bodybuilder was involved. Forgot to record it-never found the episode.

Jul 25, 2022 - edited Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

So I'm from the UK and there are a couple I remember:

• Andrulla Blanchette was on Guilty Sky Two presented by Carole Malone

• Lisa Cross was on A League of their own

• There was the FBB Klingon that you can see at the end of Star Trek Final Frontier

• Who used to watch EuroTrash for all the tits and occasional bodybuilder bit?

Sorry I can't find any YouTube links to them.

Jul 25, 2022 - permalink

I remember a documentary supersize she johanna Thomas it was amazing

Jul 25, 2022 - permalink

Sorry, I seem to be getting over-excited by this thread! Anyway, another source of femuscle was athletics of course. I fondly remember perving over an English 100m hurdler called Wendy Jeal - she was very muscular, particularly her legs and and glutes.

Attached are two grainy clips. The first is a race. The build up is quite good as the commentator mentions that her nickname is "muscles" due to her conditioning and he makes some direct references to her physique too (I think he was as excited as I was!). The second clip is 45 minutes of footage of a Schmoe film-maker filming her muscular legs.....

https://youtu.be/CerYtxD79-E

https://youtu.be/nly53dAZ1uY

Jul 25, 2022 - permalink

I remember Guilty, my dad made the comment “My god they’re all at it” in response to there being 3 bodybuilding women on the screen and I thought “I wish!”

So I'm from the UK and there are a couple I remember:

• Andrulla Blanchette was on Guilty Sky One presented by Carole Malone

• Lisa Cross was on A League of their own

• There was the FBB Klingon that you can see at the end of Star Trek Final Frontier

• Who used to watch EuroTrash for all the tits and occasional bodybuilder bit?

Sorry I can't find any YouTube links to them.

Jul 25, 2022 - edited Jul 25, 2022 - permalink

I remember a documentary supersize she Joanna Thomas it was amazing

Jul 25, 2022 - permalink

Has anyone watched the episode of Takeshi Castle in which Karla Nelsen appeared ? Was this episode ever shown in the UK ? Are there any clips available ?

There was a sports programme on BBC 1 in the early 80's, in the early evening, hosted by David Icke, which only lasted for two weeks. One of them was all about female sportswomen and featured a power boat racer (Fiona Brothers, I think), a modern pentathlete (Kathy Tayler), and a female bodybuilder. Kathy Tayler went on to present the holiday programme later. The bodybuilders name I don't remember, but I think she was a figure competitor with NABBA.

Jul 25, 2022 - permalink

You could check BBC Genome. It has searchable listings for all BBC channels going back to the early days of radio. Searching for 'bodybuilding' doesn't bring up many results though.

Found it: Monday 6th June 1983 - BBC 1 SOUTH South Sport @ 18.50 David Icke, with sport specially for the ladies. Marie Thomas joins an aerobics class, tries an exercise session with the Women's League of Health and Beauty; and visits a gym where girls are preparing for body-building competitions. Neil Conpendale has been with Fiona Brothers, finding out what makes her champion at her sport of power-boat racing DAVID ICKE'S studio guests talk about the image of women in sport, plus medical advice for sportswomen...

Jul 26, 2022 - edited Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

Just found this Tango ad in my collection. I'll upload others that I find. "You know when you've been Tangoed!"

There was also an episode on BBC3 called Baby Faced Bodybuilders!

Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

When I went to the UK in the 90s I saw a VHS in London and later in a Virgin store in Torquay called “Ms Nude International” and it had a FBB competitor on what seemed to be a nude beauty pageant. I was to shy to glare at it and even more afraid to buy it. I was 14 at the time. Anyone remember this one!?

I think it was Joy Dobson who was an Australian bodybuilder. No idea how it ended up on UK VHS shelves.

Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

James Whale show, Donna Hartley @5.05, other fbb's @12.00

https://youtu.be/Qj1JiLR_DWk

I met Donna Hartley when I was in primary school and she was a runner then. Must of been just before she started her bodybuilding career

Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

Who is female bodybuilder in this Tango ad !

Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

Who is female bodybuilder in this Tango ad !

It's Rene Campbell

Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

Thanks harry_ potter 5 she doesn't look like that now!

Jul 26, 2022 - permalink

...she doesn't look like that now!

That was definitely before she got all the tattoos. Two more recent videos with Rene Campbell that people might not be aware of. Both on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/qjlpBiQjzPg

https://youtu.be/ly0a-2EweHA

« first < prev Page 3 of 6 next > last »