Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

FBBs on UK TV

Apr 27, 2024 - permalink

I have finally found the episode of QED from 1992 featuring Bernie Price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf9SRy2Nhfk

A great find. Thank you. Bernie Price was one of my favourites. I have been trying to find an episode of a Noel Edmonds programme called Whatever Next? There was an episode where three members of the audience were wearing robes, 2 men and 1 woman, and the contestants had to guess whether they were bodybuilders or not by their face. The woman was pretty, long dark hair, not unlike Bernie. I think they guessed that she wasn't a bodybuilder but when she disrobed, she flexed a huge bicep. The men, one was a bodybuilder and the other not, and I always recall my Mum saying that the girl was bigger than the bodybuilder man (late 80s I would have been around 14/15).

Apr 27, 2024 - permalink

A great find. Thank you. Bernie Price was one of my favourites. I have been trying to find an episode of a Noel Edmonds programme called Whatever Next? There was an episode where three members of the audience were wearing robes, 2 men and 1 woman, and the contestants had to guess whether they were bodybuilders or not by their face. The woman was pretty, long dark hair, not unlike Bernie. I think they guessed that she wasn't a bodybuilder but when she disrobed, she flexed a huge bicep. The men, one was a bodybuilder and the other not, and I always recall my Mum saying that the girl was bigger than the bodybuilder man (late 80s I would have been around 14/15).

What a cool memory! I remember a glimpse of an FBB on bbc2 titles for a student/open uni type program.

Apr 27, 2024 - permalink

I found the QED documentary purely by luck. I was actually watching another BBC documentary about Quantel on the same YouTube channel, and suddenly realised that the QED episode was all about the Quantel Paintbox. I looked through the other videos on the channel and there it was. It was something I had wanted to see again for 30 years. And it was just as I remembered it.

As for 'Whatever Next', I remember watching that as well. An episode of it was uploaded to YouTube a year or so ago, but sadly it's not the one with the bodybuilders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMLlteldOys

May 02, 2024 - permalink

Tonya Knight's appearance on Jonathan Ross is here:

https://pumpitup2006.blogspot.com/2018/07/ton...

I just watched this back. Tonya was an outstanding spokesperson for the sport. Smart, funny, self-effacing and kick-ass good looking. What a sad loss she was.

May 02, 2024 - permalink

I just watched this back. Tonya was an outstanding spokesperson for the sport. Smart, funny, self-effacing and kick-ass good looking. What a sad loss she was.

After watching this back in the day, I totally fell for the amazing Tonya.

I remember buying this as soon as it came out-frim John Menzies. With loads of judgment!!!

May 02, 2024 - permalink

After watching this back in the day, I totally fell for the amazing Tonya.

I remember buying this as soon as it came out-frim John Menzies. With loads of judgment!!!

Yeah i got my copy from Woolworths and the women behind the counter said "you like that" i paid up and legged it.

May 02, 2024 - permalink

All these stories of the pre-internet era are so familiar to me. WHSmiths and John Menzies being the only places that stocked bodybuilding mags and sometimes vids. I remember going the HMV and asking them to look up videos from GMV. They looked them up on ELVIS their database system and it returned the motherload of all the BODYBUILDING results. The woman said "Oh I think I've got the wrong details this is just fitness stuff." Looking at teenager me in a very judgemental way!

May 03, 2024 - permalink

Yeah i got my copy from Woolworths and the women behind the counter said "you like that" i paid up and legged it.

I had the Tonya Knight poster on my bedroom wall, the one where she is holding a machine gun wearing army gear, which I bought from a chain store, I forget the name which sold posters. For some reason Athena comes to mind. Not sure if that was the name of the chain. I felt it was the only poster of a muscle woman that I could get away with. Probably about 15 at the time. My mates, and Dad, would always comment, positively, on her muscled backside, ha ha. I recall another poster of the Dutch bodybuilder Erica Mes, full body poster where she is standing on tip toes, back.to camera with arms raised in the air. That was in the shop window of Hornchurch, Essex, always liked that poster but never bought it.

May 03, 2024 - edited May 03, 2024 - permalink

Yeah it was Athena that sold posters back then. The big record stores also sold them, I got a Penny Price poster (may still have it wrinkled somewhere). at least when you bought the rolled up sealed posters to the counter to pay, there was not much indication of what you were into! Also the music Megastores were sometimes a source for fitness/bodybuilding videos.

May 03, 2024 - permalink

All these stories of the pre-internet era are so familiar to me. WHSmiths and John Menzies being the only places that stocked bodybuilding mags and sometimes vids. I remember going the HMV and asking them to look up videos from GMV. They looked them up on ELVIS their database system and it returned the motherload of all the BODYBUILDING results. The woman said "Oh I think I've got the wrong details this is just fitness stuff." Looking at teenager me in a very judgemental way!

The same here. WH Smiths for me, flicking through MuscleMag, when I thought I could get away with it (i.e. a WH Smiths not near home or work so no fear of someone recognising me looking at pictures of female bodybuilders).

Bought some of the Women's Muscle Power videos from HMV. That was the first time I saw a female bodybuilder on TV, for an extended length of time, not just a glimpse from a TV show that you just see the once, and I was in awe. First time seeing a woman with big muscles moving....

opo
May 04, 2024 - permalink
May 04, 2024 - permalink

Lynda Mason: https://stvfootagesales.tv/content/female-bod...

Thanks for this, a real gem. IIRC, she was Mrs Universe NABBA 1992.

« first < prev Page 7 of 7 next > last »