Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Kristen Stewart in female bodybuilding movie

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

Who actually gives a fuck if they can act?

All of us, I hope.

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

Far more likely it will be a figure sized girl, not an FBB.

Nothing wrong with that; we've all seen how huge the figure girls have gotten.

This. The director, Rose Glass is following a handful of figure competitors and the account 80smuscle. So she's most likely looking within that ballpark.

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

or maybe they get Brooke Ence.

She has become kinda cringe lately, all those lifestyle posts are too much

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

No matter what, don’t let it be that absolute train wreck of an FBB Lauren Powers!! Ughh she made a laughing stock of the sport in past media coverage.

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

> Far more likely it will be a figure sized girl, not an FBB. > > Nothing wrong with that; we've all seen how huge the figure girls have gotten.

That's around what I'm thinking. It depends what type of fbb A24 is looking for. There's bikini, figure, fitness, wellness, physique, bb. They all are classed as bodybuilders. As for acting experience, Hollywood cast Arnie w/o any acting experience and look where that took him.

The movie industry in general has largely moved away from that form of character actor since the late 1990s/early 2000s. That's why Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris, Jean Claude, etc kinda faded away around that time.

fp909
Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

people forget how big bikini girls are now. most actresses are not willing to spend months trying to look like Georgia Daniels

Apr 18, 2022 - edited Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

> On the subject of female bodybuilders who can act….

Who actually gives a fuck if they can act?

AGAIN, this isn’t a movie that is being marketed or catered to schmoes. If you want to watch videos that are full of huge and ripped female bodybuilders where there is more emphasis on appearance than acting ability, there’s Awefilms, HDPhysiques, Crushwrestling and a whole multitude of fetish sites.

Some of you need to turn off the schmoe part of your brain and recognize that there are going to be many people who want to watch this who aren’t schmoes. Not everything that involves a female bodybuilder needs to be catered to you 🤦‍♂️

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

If I'm gonna see a movie, regardless of the genre or subject matter, yea, the folks involved have to some acting ability. I'm only gonna spend money on a movie if there's at least SOME quality to it. If I wanted to see a B-movie, I'd just go to the bargain bin or YouTube.

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

AGAIN, this isn’t a movie that is being marketed or catered to schmoes. If you want to watch videos that are full of huge and ripped female bodybuilders where there is more emphasis on appearance than acting ability, there’s Awefilms, HDPhysiques, Crushwrestling and a whole multitude of fetish sites.

Some of you need to turn off the schmoe part of your brain and recognize that there are going to be many people who want to watch this who aren’t schmoes. Not everything that involves a female bodybuilder needs to be catered to you 🤦‍♂️

Exactly! These are people we’re talking about, not objects designed to give erections to a niche amount of men.

I swear, this community sometimes…

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

For real bro, thank you. Most of us understand how the world works and movie production companies most ABSOLUTELY give a fuck if the people in it can act. Otherwise you don't have a moooovie. The worldview of people in this community is so limited and one dimensional.

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

Problem solved. Next.

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

Very good chance that whoever casted may not quite be an fbb, but most likely someone who is more muscular than average. From another article: "Stewart’s on-screen love interest has yet to be cast, with filmmakers “hoping to cast the lead as authentically as possible, with the search currently underway,” the Reporter notes."

A24 has a great track record; other films from the studio not mentioned yet in this thread include "Everything Everywhere All At Once," "Moonlight" (which won best picture), "Uncut Gems," "First Reformed," "The Tragedy of Macbeth" among others. As someone who loves more "serious" films, I can vouch they take films seriously.

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

Some of you need to turn off the schmoe part of your brain and recognize that there are going to be many people who want to watch this who aren’t schmoes. Not everything that involves a female bodybuilder needs to be catered to you….

Bullshit.

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

Wrong approach, its about credibility and not about feeding mainstream. A movie about female bodybuilding is not the same like an action heroe movie. Nobody buys a toned down gal gadot as a female bodybuilder, at best it could kick off a discussion about what its really like to be a bodybuilder.

And it would not even be something new .... raye hollit had a few roles when she was bulked, and yes ... she could act.

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

And it would not even be something new .... raye hollit had a few roles when she was bulked, and yes ... she could act.

And no ........ no........ she could not act..........

Did I use enough ellipses? .............................

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

Oh yes ... yes ... she could. Her performance in "Skin Deep" was right up there with that of Chelsea Field and Denise Crosby.

No need to get nervous because a female bodybuilder can stand her ground outside the uptight schmoeniverse .

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

Denise Crosby is a pretty low bar. But I will concede, If that is your standard, Raye is fine. I should curb my film snobishness.

And sorry about the ellipses thing, I was kinda drunk last night.

Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

They could hire a female pro wrestler to play the bodybuilding lover -- someone like Jade Cargill. Pro wrestlers have both muscle and acting experience, plus many of the girls in the major promotions, like Cargill, are sizzling hot.

Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

They could hire a female pro wrestler to play the bodybuilding lover -- someone like Jade Cargill. Pro wrestlers have both muscle and acting experience, plus many of the girls in the major promotions, like Cargill, are sizzling hot.

See, I think that would be a cop out. Seeing an already muscular woman act isn’t that interesting. Seeing an actress put on enough muscle, THAT would be the ultimate acting challenge

[deleted]
Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

Some of you need to turn off the schmoe part of your brain and recognize that there are going to be many people who want to watch this who aren’t schmoes. Not everything that involves a female bodybuilder needs to be catered to you….

Bullshit.

FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT. THANK YOU.

Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT. THANK YOU.

You quoted two different people, one of whom contradicted the other. Which one are you backing?

I'm not sure which was the weirder read - the article? Or this whole thread?

Gatsby - How dare a movie studio have the unmitigated gall not to cater to the gentlemen - and women - of GWM?! Unmitigated gall, I say!

Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

You quoted two different people, one of whom contradicted the other. Which one are you backing?

I'm not sure which was the weirder read - the article? Or this whole thread?

Gatsby - How dare a movie studio have the unmitigated gall not to cater to the gentlemen - and women - of GWM?! Unmitigated gall, I say!

On the other hand, why wouldn't they cater to the bodybuilding fans both male and female.

Shaming people isn't an argument.

Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

On the other hand, why wouldn't they cater to the bodybuilding fans both male and female.

Its a self fulfilling prohpecy. The fan commnuity keeps its heads down, and thats why they get ignored, which then feeds the theory that the movie industry does not have an interest anyway.

The LGBT community in its extreme form as it is celebrated at the moment (genderfluid, switcher whatever) is probably much smaller, but they scream so loud that the movie industry gives them what they want. They wouldnt even dare otherwise. And because its on the screen, the uncritical majority accepts it which feeds into the basic approach of the community: we are important.

Self fulfilling prophecy. However you like to have it.

Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

Why WOULD they? The story (the main part of a movie) is written for lesbian audiences, not schmoes. Kind of rude to take that from them.

Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

I think both bodybuilding fans and lesbians are a small demographic so if this movie wants to have mainstream appeal they should not cater to them but they can still put it in some movies.

« first < prev Page 3 of 4 next > last »