Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Kristen Stewart in female bodybuilding movie

Apr 16, 2022 - permalink

More interested in who's going to play the FBB, and how many FBB will be supporting characters.

Apr 16, 2022 - permalink

It will be great to get more and more female bodybuilders in the movies and television. They have earned it and deserve it.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

What I don't get: if you have enough lead time, and do everything properly, you can get some degree of ripped for a role without drugs. Obviously, not bodybuilder ripped, but at least noticeably muscular, like Linda Hamilton, maybe a little more. Pre-production takes a while, usually you have a number of months notice, yet they seem to only give themselves six weeks to prep, leading to either very little change, or heavy drug use.

Then of course, there's Gal Gadot, who apparently filmed parts of Wonder Woman 1984 while five months pregnant, lol.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

It will be great to get more and more female bodybuilders in the movies and television. They have earned it and deserve it.

I agree it would be, but more in a documentary rather than dramatic acting roles.

Acting is hard. And when people who can't act try to act, you enter cringetown.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

...you can get some degree of ripped for a role without drugs. Obviously, not bodybuilder ripped, but at least noticeably muscular, like Linda Hamilton, maybe a little more.

Keep in mind that Hamilton used gear, or better said, the director and then-husband James Cameron actually encouraged her taking it.

Then of course, there's Gal Gadot, who apparently filmed parts of Wonder Woman 1984 while five months pregnant, lol.

Gal Gadot can go full Christian Bale for about 2 years straight and it still won't make a difference XD. She's naturally rail-thin (she's a model after all).

Still...the only example I can remember now of an actual thin model who became truly muscular is Kristina Vassilieva, so there's always hope:

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Helle Trevino had appeared in some movies, like Sandy Wexler on Netflix, but just in the background, she doesn´t have acting experience. Maybe Gina Carano, she is still muscular. Of course, we won´t have news for a while. Just wait.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

swoon

I can't stress enough how much I've always wanted this movie, or something like it. There's absolutely a danger of A24 refusing to cast an actual bodybuilder, of course... But I do trust them to make this a GOOD movie. No doubt, some people will seethe simply because they see the very EXISTENCE of lesbians as 'woke,' but that can't be helped. Neither can the moronic coverage this movie will get from the likes of Autostraddle and their ilk (who ACTUALLY ARE WOKE IDEOLOGUES), but luckily they aren't the ones making the movie!

> Since you seem to know so much about Hollywood, enlighten us on the excellent movies distributed by the aptly mentioned A24.

Not that guy, but...

• The Green Knight

• The Lighthouse

• Midsommar

• Mid90s

• Under the Silver Lake

• Hereditary

• Green Room

• The Vvitch (lol)

A24's track record is ridiculously good. Their involvement is an incredible endorsement of this film.

I never even heard of A24 until this thread. And the only movie I've heard of in your list is "The Lighthouse" and that was because the DVD was advertised in a Target catalog.

Were these movies in theaters? For the past 2 and a half years, I drove by a theater on my way to work and I never saw any of those movie names on the marquee...

So, since you seem to know more about movies than I do, what makes these movies "good?" Did they win awards, earn large amounts of revenue, have good reviews on some internet review site, or because they are good in your opinion? I like the movie "Little Miss Sunshine" but I wouldn't have seen it if it didn't have Steve Carrell or a VW Bus. And I'll watch that movie over and over. So please tell me/us how a studio affiliation will make a movie good.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Minari starring Steven Yuen (Glenn on The Walking Dead) was a fantastic movie that A24 released a few years back and was nominated for several Oscars including Best Actor (Steven Yuen), Best Director, Best Picture, and more. I ended up buying the movie on BluRay when it came out and it's an excellent movie that is part of my prestige film collection. And yes A24 makes prestigious films.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Yes, A24 doesn’t make movies with broad appeal. Usually they get limited release.

M76
Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

A lot of fbbs are gay or bi... much more so than among women in general.

Do you have a single fact to back that up, or just stating your opinions as fact?

[deleted]
Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

I never even heard of A24 until this thread. And the only movie I've heard of in your list is "The Lighthouse" and that was because the DVD was advertised in a Target catalog.

Were these movies in theaters? For the past 2 and a half years, I drove by a theater on my way to work and I never saw any of those movie names on the marquee...

So, since you seem to know more about movies than I do, what makes these movies "good?" Did they win awards, earn large amounts of revenue, have good reviews on some internet review site, or because they are good in your opinion? I like the movie "Little Miss Sunshine" but I wouldn't have seen it if it didn't have Steve Carrell or a VW Bus. And I'll watch that movie over and over. So please tell me/us how a studio affiliation will make a movie good.

Broadcasting your ignorance of modern cinema does not establish your critical bona fides in the way that you seem to think it does.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Of course the story line will be about sexual identity blah blah ..and in Hollywood a woman with muscle can only be lesbian not straight because how could any straight woman want to be muscular and strong ...its such a boring trope and story line ...a while ago there was a wiman who's husband was a severely injured war vet and she took up bodybuilding so she could pick him up and care for him etc ...now theres a story waiting to be made into a movie. Personally I think the whole thing that is perpetuated that a woman tjat is strong and muscular has to be lesbian is ridiculous and has probably put a lot of straight women off being strong and muscular or at least embracing it if they have that build.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Oh FFS 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yes, all those movies were in theaters, and were praised by critics and audiences.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Of course the story line will be about sexual identity blah blah ..and in Hollywood a woman with muscle can only be lesbian not straight because how could any straight woman want to be muscular and strong ...its such a boring trope and story line ...a while ago there was a wiman who's husband was a severely injured war vet and she took up bodybuilding so she could pick him up and care for him etc ...now theres a story waiting to be made into a movie. Personally I think the whole thing that is perpetuated that a woman tjat is strong and muscular has to be lesbian is ridiculous and has probably put a lot of straight women off being strong and muscular or at least embracing it if they have that build.

bro, chill it with the ellipses

Man, a lot of people here are taking umbrage for some reason that the plot centers around an LGBT relationship? Why? Is it jealousy and envy?

Also, this movie clearly isn't going to be one that's catered to schmoes (despite what some are hoping it will be.) As has been mentioned (despite some posters trying to deny it,) A24 distributes quality movies. It's going to be nice that they won't treat female bodybuilders as freakshows like other films in the past has. If. however, you are going into this movie expecting fap fodder, you're probably going to be quite disappointed..

fp909
Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Speaking as an "industry insider" A24 has been doing a great job, though I wonder how much of it is identifying talent/good scripts.

They remind me a bit of Relativity Media about a decade ago which had its fingers in EVERYTHING: Pursuit of Happyness, 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, Stepbrothers, Pineapple Express, The Social Network etc before they fell off a clip.

What's really impressive is that basically until The Witch they were only a distro studio, then launched as a production company. They have some undeniable hits and also a bunch of stuff that I haven't heard of. They just happen to be one of the "it" studios at the moment that seems to have a very good eye for quality.

This has the feel of an indie film--and aside from Stewart being cast we wouldn't know that it was actually happening with the rest of Hollywood (I mean...we might know because of the bodybuilder angle).

Depending on how it turns out you might find it running for a few weekends on one screen in a megaplex or like a Landmark or something.

ANyways, the point is that if they're really going for an FBB look they will not be casting anyone that is willing to transform their body. They will surely pick someone who is maybe typecast, or an actual bodybuilder (who, ironically, will not be asked to pull much weight, though I could be wrong). I'm 200% sure there is a well of women in Hollywood who want to act who are on the low end of "fit" and willing to put on a littl emuscle.

or maybe they get Brooke Ence.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

All we know is that Kristen I casted to play a girlfriend to a female bodybuilder. They are probably casting the bodybuilder role as we speak and we know at least that they are looking for a bodybuilder. So they probably want a larger physique for the effect in the story. So now they are hoping (and we are hoping) to find someone that can act and is huge, but they need to find the X in this equation. You guys are going crazy over this!! 😚 Wait and see. So many truths (read guesses) in here now.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

More interested in who's going to play the FBB, and how many FBB will be supporting characters.

This is all that matters. Also — how much cool flexing action.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

I don't think there's a lot of female bodybuilders who can act and there's not a lot of actresses who are willing to put in the work to achieve the physique of a competitive bodybuilder regardless of the division (unless they wanna go the Jared Leto route of method acting, which is seemingly becoming more and more unpopular nowadays). I'm hoping whoever directs this film is really good at directing non-actors like the Safdie Brothers who casted Kevin Garnet (pro basketball player), Mike Francesca (sports radio host), Julia Fox (model), Wayne Diamond (fashion mogul), Keith William Richards (retired firefighter) and a bunch of other random people to play the other characters in this film. Otherwise it'll come off as phony.

[deleted]
Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

On the subject of female bodybuilders who can act, perhaps Julia Fory would be a candidate, if she's still interested in film work; her work in Pearl was generally well received, I believe.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Far more likely it will be a figure sized girl, not an FBB.

Nothing wrong with that; we've all seen how huge the figure girls have gotten.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

Far more likely it will be a figure sized girl, not an FBB.

Nothing wrong with that; we've all seen how huge the figure girls have gotten.

That's around what I'm thinking. It depends what type of fbb A24 is looking for. There's bikini, figure, fitness, wellness, physique, bb. They all are classed as bodybuilders. As for acting experience, Hollywood cast Arnie w/o any acting experience and look where that took him.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

That's around what I'm thinking. It depends what type of fbb A24 is looking for. There's bikini, figure, fitness, wellness, physique, bb. They all are classed as bodybuilders. As for acting experience, Hollywood cast Arnie w/o any acting experience and look where that took him.

It took Arnold At least 10 years to get a starring role in a majorly released film. Hercules in New York wasn't exactly a box office attraction and neither was his bit part in the Long Good Bye.

fp909
Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

the male power fantasy and the whole thing was guys being jacked on screen is not really a big deal anymore. plenty of guys get on some kind of gear to look "super" for a role.

then they talk about Gal Gadot "getting toned" for Wonder Woman or Melissa Benoist lifting for Super Girl and there's literally nothing different between them and the next actress. It's just that the photo they pick for the headline happens to have a "bulging bicep" because they're holding something moderately heavy--you know, the pics guys sometimes post on here of normal girls with their arm popping a little bit because a very specific frame was chosen where it looked different from normal lol

Apr 18, 2022 - permalink

On the subject of female bodybuilders who can act….

Who actually gives a fuck if they can act?

« first < prev Page 2 of 4 next > last »