Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Kristen Stewart in female bodybuilding movie

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

More female muscle in 'mainstream' movies.

Apparently 'Stewart will be playing the "protective lover" of a female bodybuilder in Love Lies Bleeding'.

https://www.avclub.com/kristen-stewart-bodybu...

What do we think? Any suggestions for the who could play the bodybuilder?

M76
Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Of course, typical hollywood, perpetuating the stereotype that FBBs are manly and have to be lesbians.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Of course, typical hollywood, perpetuating the stereotype that FBBs are manly and have to be lesbians.

A lot of fbbs are gay or bi... much more so than among women in general. And K-Stew is reinventing herself as a queer icon so it's a fitting role for her.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Ten bucks says her bodybuilding girlfriend will be physically strong but emotionally vulnerable while her character is the inverse.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

I hope it will be a good movie but it's hard to get hyped up for movies these days let's hope it will be good

"Of course, typical hollywood, perpetuating the stereotype that FBBs are manly and have to be lesbians."

Because it's 2022 lol.

Apr 14, 2022 - edited Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

I'm actually glad there's a female bodybuilding movie coming out from Hollywood. I know it will be about lesbians but it is a positive step (to me anyways) that female bodybuilders are finally recognized by mainstream Hollywood instead of just a joke in a movie or a tv show. They have documentaries about bodybuilding but they aren't recognized by the masses in Hollywood. And just so you guys know this movie that's coming out is by the private independent studio A24 that was nominated for their films like Minari, and I believe the Green Knight. So yes this bodybuilder movie will be in good hands.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Much, much better to expose more women to female bodybuilding. Maybe it'll inspire Kristen to take it up herself.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

I'm actually glad there's a female bodybuilding movie coming out from Hollywood. I know it will be about lesbians but it is a positive step (to me anyways) that female bodybuilders are finally recognized by mainstream Hollywood instead of just a joke in a movie or a tv show. They have documentaries about bodybuilding but they aren't recognized by the masses in Hollywood. And just so you guys know this movie that's coming out is by the private independent studio A24 that was nominated for their films Minari, and I believe the Green Knight. So yes this bodybuilder movie will be in good hands.

Yes, much better than the tired trope of a female bodybuilder being a punchline of “she has a penis” or is just generally disgusting.

I don’t expect them to have a pro level physique in this movie though, it’ll be easier on whomever they cast if it’s more of a local level bodybuilder who is bigger than the average woman but won’t require the actress to diet and train strictly for any longer than 6-8 months. Anyone expecting a Hollywood actress to get absolutely huge for a single role is living in dream land.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

I'm sure they'll do what they did with Pearl and cast an actual bodybuilder, in this case Julia Fort.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

I feel like A24 would have a tough time finding one that could act to their standards.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Yes, much better than the tired trope of a female bodybuilder being a punchline of “she has a penis” or is just generally disgusting.

I don’t expect them to have a pro level physique in this movie though, it’ll be easier on whomever they cast if it’s more of a local level bodybuilder who is bigger than the average woman but won’t require the actress to diet and train strictly for any longer than 6-8 months. Anyone expecting a Hollywood actress to get absolutely huge for a single role is living in dream land.

They could CG a physique onto the actress. But yeah, in general, actresses are expected to stay thin and pretty in order to find work. Even Jessica Biel, who liked being big, slimmed down again. That's also how we lost Reika Saiki as a bodybuilder. Male actors routinely undergo a regimen of diet, gear, and six hours a day in the gym to land action or superhero roles.

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

It’s being distributed by A24, which has a very solid track record of good movies.

I think this has a great shot of being a good movie.

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

A24, can't be worse than any other FBB movie I've seen. Nowhere to go but up.

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

To create a movie with an accurate portrayal of a cult sport OR to work overtime to crowbar LGBQT+++ into a storyline where it is neither wanted or needed.

This movie is absolutely going to flop; just like every other movie coming out of that warped left-coast culture, INCLUDING the so-called "best picture of the year" - - which was an utter POS.

I mean, there's only so many plot devices that exist, struggling with sexual identity happens to be one of them.

Who's in consideration for the FBB role, is there a list?

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

Keep in mind:

"Bodybuilder" might not necessary mean neither "competitive bodybuilder" nor "built like a competitor from the Bodybuilding division". Keep in mind that in Hollywood "muscular" sometimes means "I can see a hint of abs". and judging from the http address PlumPudding has provided, they only care about (promoting) the "gay" part, so the focus will not be in the "bodybuilding" area.

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

There is an endless number of plot devices that can be explored. But, that assumes some level creativity, courage and open-mindedness - - NONE of which exists anymore in the leftist monolithic of the virtue-signaling Hollywood elite.

LMAO you're assuming that a film distributed by A24, who have a lengthy track record of distributing excellent movies, will be bad before you've seen it, yet you go on to decry others for being closed minded. Hilarious. Just admit it, you're a pathetic manchild and you're afraid of anything you don't understand.

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

LMAO you're assuming that a film distributed by A24, who have a lengthy track record of distributing excellent movies, will be bad before you've seen it, yet you go on to decry others for being closed minded. Hilarious. Just admit it, you're a pathetic manchild and you're afraid of anything you don't understand.

I hope she (or he) sees this, bro.

Since you seem to know so much about Hollywood, enlighten us on the excellent movies distributed by the aptly mentioned A24.

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

I believe Hollywood would definitely avoid casting an actual female bodybuilder for the lead probably due to health concerns but they will most likely go down the route of casting a CrossFit competitior who may have done acting here and there instead. This is just my guess but I could be wrong. CrossFit competitors and female bodybuilders do have the same physique at times.

Apr 15, 2022 - permalink

swoon

I can't stress enough how much I've always wanted this movie, or something like it. There's absolutely a danger of A24 refusing to cast an actual bodybuilder, of course... But I do trust them to make this a GOOD movie. No doubt, some people will seethe simply because they see the very EXISTENCE of lesbians as 'woke,' but that can't be helped. Neither can the moronic coverage this movie will get from the likes of Autostraddle and their ilk (who ACTUALLY ARE WOKE IDEOLOGUES), but luckily they aren't the ones making the movie!

Since you seem to know so much about Hollywood, enlighten us on the excellent movies distributed by the aptly mentioned A24.

Not that guy, but...

• The Green Knight

• The Lighthouse

• Midsommar

• Mid90s

• Under the Silver Lake

• Hereditary

• Green Room

• The Vvitch (lol)

A24's track record is ridiculously good. Their involvement is an incredible endorsement of this film.

Apr 16, 2022 - permalink

Keep in mind:

"Bodybuilder" might not necessary mean neither "competitive bodybuilder" nor "built like a competitor from the Bodybuilding division". Keep in mind that in Hollywood "muscular" sometimes means "I can see a hint of abs". and judging from the http address PlumPudding has provided, they only care about (promoting) the "gay" part, so the focus will not be in the "bodybuilding" area.

Yeah, exactly this. It's not going to be some powerhouse Aleesha Young sized FBB. It'll be someone who would be in the mid-range fitness category.

But, you never know...

Apr 16, 2022 - permalink

Actors go to extremes for roles (eg, not showering for months, gaining tons of weight, etc.). Maybe an actress will dedicate 18 months of her life to getting ripped

Apr 16, 2022 - permalink

Actors go to extremes for roles (eg, not showering for months, gaining tons of weight, etc.). Maybe an actress will dedicate 18 months of her life to getting ripped

An actress who went on enough gear to look like an fbb would have great difficulty finding work afterwards. That's why male actors can get put on regimens of diet, gear, and 6 hours a day in the gym to prepare for a superhero role: the virilization doesn't "ruin" them for future work. Actresses go to the gym and get strong for action roles, but the results don't look like an fbb physique. Real fbbs have appeared in Hollywood pictures, like Carmen Brady in Napoleon Dynamite, Kim Chizevsky in The Cell, and various background Amazons in Wonder Woman. But these are usually cameos only, because fbbs who are also great actresses are pretty rare. So again, the options are to find that diamond-in-the-rough fbb who can carry that lead role, or CG a physique onto a more conventional actress. A regular actress turning into an fbb for a role will find herself out of work afterwards. Jessica Biel liked being big, and she got skinny again after Blade 3 and Stealth. I bet we'll see that Natalie Portman isn't terribly huge in Thor: Love and Thunder as well.

« first < prev Page 1 of 4 next > last »