Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Another Dead Bodybuilder

Apr 13, 2022 - edited Apr 13, 2022 - permalink

Cedric Mcmillan passed. Does anybody else think it's time to revise the standards for Bodybuilding? We've lost a lot of women to this game too which is why I bring it up. Sure, they know what they are doing when they put that first needle in but it's getting ridiculous that we read about a BB passing every couple of weeks. He had a heart attack in 2020 and quit but at what price?

Apr 13, 2022 - permalink

Absolutely. Consider this: At his peak, Arnold Schwarzenegger was 6’2 and 235 lbs. Ronnie Coleman, on the other hand, is 5’11” and at his peak was 297 lbs. Also, back then, stage-ready body fat percentages for men was around 8%. Today, it’s around 3%.

The expectation to have competitors be that massive and that lean is what’s causing this surge in bodybuilders dying relatively young. But there is another factor, and that is body dysmorphia. Personally, as a natty lifter, I struggle with body image, but among bodybuilders it’s pretty much universal. Bodybuilders and other “fitness” athletes want to look more and more muscular due to that dysmorphia, and social media doesn’t help. If you’re someone who wants to get lots of followers, and while you train hard naturally and look pretty good as a natural athlete, you see other “enhanced” athletes blow you away in terms of followers, what will you end up doing?

Apr 13, 2022 - permalink

It's gunna happen more an more. Its just that now a lot of the heavy users n big heavyweights from 2000s/2010s are getting older. ...older being like 45 ish 😐😑

Apr 13, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
Apr 13, 2022 - permalink

The fact that both men and women can only compete by using some sort of steroid is crazy. When I look back at the women I liked in the 80s and 90s, many of them would be too small for this decade. My favorites from the early days of Herbiceps were natural: now ALMOST EVERY woman on that site is taking something. That's why I cancelled my membership.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

The fact that both men and women can only compete by using some sort of steroid is crazy. When I look back at the women I liked in the 80s and 90s, many of them would be too small for this decade. My favorites from the early days of Herbiceps were natural: now ALMOST EVERY woman on that site is taking something. That's why I cancelled my membership.

Competitors in the 80s and 90s also used steroids, along with models from the early days of Herbiceps. The difference is they used far less than what we are seeing competitors today use.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Yeah i mean you only have to look at what the average gym/roid user guy thinks is required for themselves or what rhey recommend. Its not uncommon to see 2grams of gear thrown around...and thats not even people who are IFBB Pros 😬🤦‍♂️

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Yeah i mean you only have to look at what the average gym/roid user guy thinks is required for themselves or what rhey recommend. Its not uncommon to see 2grams of gear thrown around...and thats not even people who are IFBB Pros 😬🤦‍♂️

Very true. And a lot of that comes down to genetics. I believe everybody can build a pretty fit body if they want to, but in bodybuilding, especially at the professional level, genetics are so vital to how well you place and how far you advance. Way too many guys enter a show, don’t get the placing they want, see the winner physique and think “I need more gear,” when in reality it’s probably their genetics that’s the limiting factor, and all more gear will do is fuck their health up.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

It's gunna happen more an more. Its just that now a lot of the heavy users n big heavyweights from 2000s/2010s are getting older. ...older being like 45 ish 😐😑

Cedric was 44. But Rich Piana was 46, I believe. Dallas McCarver and Zyzz, however, were in their 20s. I don't know Boston Loyd's age, I never followed him, thought he was a dumbass

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Competitors in the 80s and 90s also used steroids, along with models from the early days of Herbiceps. The difference is they used far less than what we are seeing competitors today use.

Absolutely true. However, some of the women were all natural like Kelly Lynn. Fast forward to today and she's out of control with the steroids. Jody Miller has been on and off steroids as well. It's pretty sad to see the bikini competitors from back then compared to now.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Absolutely. Consider this: At his peak, Arnold Schwarzenegger was 6’2 and 235 lbs. Ronnie Coleman, on the other hand, is 5’11” and at his peak was 297 lbs. Also, back then, stage-ready body fat percentages for men was around 8%. Today, it’s around 3%.

The expectation to have competitors be that massive and that lean is what’s causing this surge in bodybuilders dying relatively young. But there is another factor, and that is body dysmorphia. Personally, as a natty lifter, I struggle with body image, but among bodybuilders it’s pretty much universal. Bodybuilders and other “fitness” athletes want to look more and more muscular due to that dysmorphia, and social media doesn’t help. If you’re someone who wants to get lots of followers, and while you train hard naturally and look pretty good as a natural athlete, you see other “enhanced” athletes blow you away in terms of followers, what will you end up doing?

Also consider that Arnold is 74 and is still in great shape, is able to walk around just fine and has great mobility for his age and is able to work out, while Ronnie is 57 and can hardly even stand up without braces and crutches.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

I will say it again, because nobody is listening

He appeared to be sick because of pneumonia related to COVID. Not sure of his actual cause of death..

Nobody's listening because you're not saying anything of value. Steroid abuse suppresses immune system function. Regardless of any comorbidities, it'd strain credulity to suggest that his use of gear didn't contribute to his death.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
Apr 14, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by lost36
Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

And where did you get your MD?

You don't need to be a doctor to know that carrying that much weight is very hard on the heart. Carrying that much muscle is probably equivalent to being obese when it comes to your organs. Many obese people died due to Covid. His doctors told him to stop but he wouldn't/couldn't.

C87
Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Lets face it, the BB's using steroids are just junkies. What is the difference between a steroid and heroin addict? Sure, steroid users can make money from their image if they go big enough. Both are just abusing their bodies, craving that buzz.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Just think of what a bodybuilder goes through: first they bulk up and lift enormous weight, then diet down a few weeks out from a contest, and then days before they dehydrate to showcase their vascularity and muscle separation. Take that regimen, then factor in steroids, and you have a hurricane happening to your liver, kidneys and heart. For those who brought up Arnold, he has had a lot of medical problems post-bodybuilding; at least two operations on his heart, if I'm not mistaken.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Why are so many bodybuilder deaths occurring due to heart problems. Is there a connection between heart problems caused by bodybuilding? Could someone please explain.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

The prolonged use of PEDS enlarges everything. Muscle, bone, organs. Enlarged heart is a symptom and often a principal COD. Not a doctor, just common sense.

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

I remember the old days in the gym in the 80s: everybody who considered himself a bodybuilder had a whole pharmacy at home. One of the guys was boasting about it when we visited him and opened his cabinet: it was stacked with pills, cannula, needles, vaccines. The guy was a junior competetitor at the local Austrian shows, and not even a good one. His skin was laced with acne.

There was also a survey held a couple of years later, where bodybuilders were asked if they would take medication, that would guarantee them win at the Mr. O., and would kill them short time after. The majority would have taken it.

Two possibilities why we hear so much about it these days: 1. The pressure for the "ripped" look. The topic about diuretics is viral since months. Especially the conditioning for some women is insane.

1. social media. News spread much much faster. We also hear about people being killed every day. 20 years ago nobody cared about drive by shooting on the other end of the world, now its spreading like fire.
Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Today was the first time I've ever seen the death of someone I knew posted on an Apple news alert. I was on the plane, having just had the most awesome time in Amsterdam and that news hit me like a hammer. NGL, it was sobering as ****. RIP

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Today was the first time I've ever seen the death of someone I knew posted on an Apple news alert. I was on the plane, having just had the most awesome time in Amsterdam and that news hit me like a hammer. NGL, it was sobering as ****. RIP

Seeing this on the BBC World news website frontpage was something too...

Apr 14, 2022 - permalink

Lets face it, the BB's using steroids are just junkies. What is the difference between a steroid and heroin addict? Sure, steroid users can make money from their image if they go big enough. Both are just abusing their bodies, craving that buzz.

I don't think that's a completely fair comparison. Bodybuilding is an addiction sure, but not a substance addiction.

I'm entirely natty now, still addicted to the gains.

« first < prev Page 1 of 3 next > last »