Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Anastasia Leonova calling out Alina Popa

[deleted]
Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. Because they control everything. They control the results as well. Have you ever asked yourself how comes that Alina won Phoenix 2018 even though being clearly inferior to Margie??? For a starter, you can just ask Margie, Jay Fuchs and Nataliya Amazonka about her.....

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

I can’t stand it…in ANY sport. I immediately lose respect for the parties involved. STFU and be an athlete. It’s like when entertainers get political and virtue signal. Just get over yourself and do your job.

He can fight and he had a good record, but Colby Covington's social media did not blow up until he added virtue signaling to his brand. Why did he do it? Because it works. He saw Conor get an estimated $100 million to "fight" Floyd. How much virtue signaling went into promoting that PPV exhibition? And now whether they think he's a hero or a villain, fans are going to pay to watch Colby fight.

Bodybuilding is not a team sport. To get paid, competitors either have to get lucky and be chosen by the people who control the money or they have to find an angle. I have never heard Anastasia speak. At all. I have no idea what her opinion is on anything. But I am here posting about her right now, because fans are responding to what someone close to her said about competition. And now I'm going to go find out what was said, because other fans suggested it might be interesting. If her partner had just "stuck to ____", I would not wonder at all what happened. I did not even know she competed recently.

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. Because they control everything. They control the results as well. Have you ever asked yourself how comes that Alina won Phoenix 2018 even though being clearly inferior to Margie??? For a starter, you can just ask Margie, Jay Fuchs and Nataliya Amazonka about her.....

No, I never asked myself that. In bodybuilding, it is very common for competitors to be compared to the best they have ever been and for that comparison to factor into how the judges are comparing them other competitors on the stage at some future time. I don't have the video in front of me, but it is possible that influenced the result you disagree with. At Margie's best, she's one of the best to ever compete. Even at 70% of her best, she is still better than most who ever competed as pros. But 90% Margie might be a disappointment to those who know and have judged Peak Margie. Unfair? Of course! But also human.

Outside of 2018 Phoenix, what other Wings of Strength pro shows do you think had controlled results that did not match the reality of the stage competition? I will try to find the videos and see if what you are saying has some merit. I am not saying you are not telling the truth, I just think there would probably be more grumbling among the fans and former competitors if this was the case. Iris Kyle was upset that WOS wanted her to qualify for the Phoenix show and she said that was an insult to her, because she had already won Ms. Olympia many times. I heard there was a rumor from someone else who thinks WOS is out to get her, but it is hard to produce real evidence in a case like that.

fp909
Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

There’s way too much back room politics in bodybuilding, all over. It’s part of the game.

I think it’s hard to complain about Alinas control via WOS when without it FBB as a class would have never returned.

A lot of these current competitors are “older”—Margie is 42 and Andrea is 37. There’s a growing bumper crop of newer athletes coming up that will make a big push in the next few years. hunter Henderson, Kristina mendoza, and a couple others are really Good prospects to replace some that will filter out. But until they catch up it will be more of the same

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

anastasia korableva too. also anastasia rider and corinne ingman

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

Gabi95 added:

That is pure armchair psychology here, you can't judge someone and their relationship based on a 10 minute interview.

Gabi95 also added:

Anastasia is the future of bodybuilding wether you like it or not

What I like about this post is that it isn't some type of armchair fortune telling based on judging Anastasia subjectively

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

anastasia is very femenine and pretty but imo would do better as a female physique competitor

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

anastasia is very femenine and pretty but imo would do better as a female physique competitor

She just won the Portugal show as a bodybuilder. It's not like she isn't finding success right now.

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

as an amateur yes, but as a pro? no way. look at the competition she has. monique jones, kovalyova, korableva, maria bradley, margie martin, virginia sanchez,andrea shaw. all of them are taller than her and bigger, and there are more, also better simmetry

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

She just won the Portugal show as a bodybuilder. It's not like she isn't finding success right now.

Wait. Are you saying that her husband is complaining about a contest she won??

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

Alina at her best was fucking incredible and became a legend. Anastasia looks good but she is just another tiny muscle girl.

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

as an amateur yes, but as a pro? no way. look at the competition she has. monique jones, kovalyova, korableva, maria bradley, margie martin, virginia sanchez,andrea shaw. all of them are taller than her and bigger, and there are more, also better simmetry

Maybe Anastasia will be this generations Debi Laszewski. Debi was also pretty short but once she made pro she almost always placed in the top 3.

Jul 25, 2021 - permalink

maybe...we will see. btw i wonder how tall she is, i read 5'2'' but since i read from some guys here i am starting to believe she is more like 5'

cgsweat
Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

btw i wonder how tall she is, i read 5'2'' but since i read from some guys here i am starting to believe she is more like 5'

"152cm" which is just a hair under 5'0"

Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

makes sense now why at 157 lbs she looks huge then

[deleted]
Jul 26, 2021 - edited Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan So you better start to ask yourself. It's obvious that sport events decided by judges (see ice skating, gymnastics etc.) will always be controversial. But in this case, it goes two steps further. Someone who works as a VP at the organizing company of the FBB World champs, who is personally responsible for choosing the ambassadors for that company, competes against exactly these athletes at the World championchips organized by her employer!!!! Come on, this is not about conspiracies, this is about daylight robbery. WOS is a cartellistic monopoly who controls the entire pipeline. The big mouthed coach/husband of Anastasia wasn't calling Alina for nothing, he wants to challange their monopoly....or better receive some funding from them for his athletes and for himself. I think that this is his aim at the end. To have his dwarf wife recognized as legit FBB competitor and WOS ambassador for a good chunk of money. That's the real reason for him calling out on Alina

fp909
Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

Alina hasn’t competed since 2018. Is she competing now? I haven’t seen her in any line ups.

[deleted]
Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

@fp909. I am speaking about 2018, she has not competed since but that does not mean that she will never compete again. She is 43, same age as Margie, Helle, Monique, a bit older than Andrea

[deleted]
Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

Geez lads, geez

Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan So you better start to ask yourself. It's obvious that sport events decided by judges (see ice skating, gymnastics etc.) will always be controversial. But in this case, it goes two steps further. Someone who works as a VP at the organizing company of the FBB World champs, who is personally responsible for choosing the ambassadors for that company, competes against exactly these athletes at the World championchips organized by her employer!!!! Come on, this is not about conspiracies, this is about daylight robbery. WOS is a cartellistic monopoly who controls the entire pipeline. The big mouthed coach/husband of Anastasia wasn't calling Alina for nothing, he wants to challange their monopoly....or better receive some funding from them for his athletes and for himself. I think that this is his aim at the end. To have his dwarf wife recognized as legit FBB competitor and WOS ambassador for a good chunk of money. That's the real reason for him calling out on Alina

I understand that fans - which is short for fanatics - often thrive on drama, but what you are describing is a pretty big reach to generate a personal conflict, don't you think? "Robbery", "cartels", "dwarf", man, are you listening to yourself?

What is your or their fight actually over? How much does one earn as a WOS ambassador? Is this full income a person can live on? Or are you talking about supplemental income that helps cover a few expenses? Is there a range depending on how much work they do for the company? Would you not agree the company gets to choose who will represent their brand and that it is no one else's business who they choose?

Maybe there is stuff I do not get, but I don't understand the complaint about a former competitor being the VP of the organization that runs shows. I have been around for so long, I remember fans complaining that men made all the decisions when there should have been more FBBs in charge. Now an FBB is in charge, women's bodybuilding/physique are bigger than ever, they're making more money than ever, and men (I assume you are male, forgive me if I am wrong) are still complaining.

Jul 26, 2021 - permalink

> I realize the guy is just bringing a little excitement and friendly competition to wbb no need to act like he is sending alina death threats.

That's possible, but it's far more likely that he's a controlling and abusive piece of garbage.

This is just a hunch, but when you read the stories of FBB's, it's sadly very common for them to get with controlling men.

We look at their bodies and think STRENGTH, but a lot of women who get into the "aesthetics" business (modeling, beauty pageants, fitness & bodybuilding, sex work) sadly suffer from very low self esteem. And it's easy for a predatory man to take control of them, regardless of how large their biceps are.

I hope that this isn't the case, but I'm fairly sure that it is. Otherwise he wouldn't be screaming commands at her and starting beef in her name with other FBBs. Someone mentioned Muhammad Ali here. Big difference between him talking trash to another boxer, or his controlling wife doing it while he stays silent.

Wow..........WOW!

A LOT of conjecture here buddy some big steps in this post backed up by .....nothing. I think your read on this situation is completely off and laden with drama.

He's just a snake oil salesman who's stirring the pot. It's your choice if he stirs stuff up in you. Anastasia is quiet while he's doing his act and I just don't see how you're getting to battered and bruised woman with no self esteem from this. Reaaaaly think you're jumping the gun on this Tex.

It's one thing to stir the pot like Monday night RAW it's another to fall for it and call him out as a wife beater.

[deleted]
Jul 27, 2021 - edited Jul 27, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. The ambassador contract is worth 10-20K annually, I have first hand information on this.

Don't get me wrong, WOS have done a lot of good things, Jake has resurrected FBB from the ashes. WOS has the right to choose and select whoeever they want as their ambassador. But this was not my point. The fact that they control everything, the athletes, the competitions, the media, makes it problematic as they monopolize FBB. I cannot understand that you not grasp this. Furthermore, Alina is clearly in a multiple conflict of interest. She acts as VP Athletes, TV host on media, coach and mentor of one of the sponsored athletes and as competitor... .

Regarding Anastasia's husband, he just wants to make noise and gain some recognition from WOS and hopefully some funds. That's the whole story. And if you don't get it by now, I am at a complete loss for any further explanations

Jul 27, 2021 - permalink

Anastasia likely doesn't speak much English.

Jul 27, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. The ambassador contract is worth 10-20K annually, I have first hand information on this.

Don't get me wrong, WOS have done a lot of good things, Jake has resurrected FBB from the ashes. WOS has the right to choose and select whoeever they want as their ambassador. But this was not my point. The fact that they control everything, the athletes, the competitions, the media, makes it problematic as they monopolize FBB. I cannot understand that you not grasp this. Furthermore, Alina is clearly in a multiple conflict of interest. She acts as VP Athletes, TV host on media, coach and mentor of one of the sponsored athletes and as competitor... .

Regarding Anastasia's husband, he just wants to make noise and gain some recognition from WOS and hopefully some funds. That's the whole story. And if you don't get it by now, I am at a complete loss for any further explanations

That's a good amount of money in Russia and helps offset training and travel expenses, but that's not enough to replace a full-time job. The main point, though, is that it's more than anyone EVER paid FBBs.

I don't know who long you have been a female bodybuilding fan, but if you had been around in the 90s or 00s, then you would know what we are seeing is a miracle. EVERY other industry company had kicked FBB to the curb. And now someone steps up to the plate, puts their own money and time at risk to build something, and you have a problem because they are the ONLY ones doing it?

I recognize your commitment to being wrong, but I don't understand the Alina/WOS hate.

1) They are paying several FBBs a nice, supplemental income. 2) They are promoting shows where FBBs can display the results of their hard work. 3) They are promoting the athletes with photo shoots and video interviews. 4) They award incredible prizes at their shows. 5) They rescued the Ms. Olympia, which most high-level FBBs say is their ultimate dream to compete in.

Maybe you can answer this question:

-WOS is taking all the risk and currently doing all the work of promoting shows and paying competitors. In your opinion, who should be running the business?

[deleted]
Jul 28, 2021 - edited Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. I have been following FBB since my early teens, which is back in the 80s with Rachel McLeish, Cory Everson. As much as I reckon the importance of Jake/WOS for the resurrection of FBB in 2015, the current cartellistic system hugely disadvantages athletes who are not WOS ambassadors, and not because the "missing" income of 10-20K (which can also be an issue, see Jay Fuchs), but because of the way that competitions could be manipulated. It is clear that WOS will prefer its ambassadors to be lined up at Ms Olympia than outside athletes. Furthermore, the treatment of Iris Kyle leaves question marks about WOS's integrity. I am by far not a fan of hers, I have voiced my opinion several times that Alina should have won Miss Olympia at least in 2013 and 2014, if anything I am a huge fan of Alina as competitve FBB, but I really dislike her current position where she exerts too much power in the FBB world, loaded with multiple conflicts of interest.

I believe that all this has been part of the reasons for Anastasia's husband to call out Alina. The other reasons being obviously his quest for recognition, respect and ultimately bakshish (money) for his wife becoming a WOS ambassador

« first < prev Page 3 of 4 next > last »