Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Anastasia Leonova calling out Alina Popa

Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

People ate forgetting the reason there is only WOS for female bodybuilding is...because mainstreams wise it simply doesnt draw and isn't popular. So i dunno how you can dislike WOS at all lol

Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. I have been following FBB since my early teens, which is back in the 80s with Rachel McLeish, Cory Everson. As much as I reckon the importance of Jake/WOS for the resurrection of FBB in 2015, the current cartellistic system hugely disadvantages athletes who are not WOS ambassadors, and not because the "missing" income of 10-20K (which can also be an issue, see Jay Fuchs), but because of the way that competitions could be manipulated. It is clear that WOS will prefer its ambassadors to be lined up at Ms Olympia than outside athletes. Furthermore, the treatment of Iris Kyle leaves question marks about WOS's integrity. I am by far not a fan of hers, I have voiced my opinion several times that Alina should have won Miss Olympia at least in 2013 and 2014, if anything I am a huge fan of Alina as competitve FBB, but I really dislike her current position where she exerts too much power in the FBB world, loaded with multiple conflicts of interest.

I believe that all this has been part of the reasons for Anastasia's husband to call out Alina. The other reasons being obviously his quest for recognition, respect and ultimately bakshish (money) for his wife becoming a WOS ambassador

"Cartels, monopolies, athlete mistreatment, conflicts of interest, questionable integrity, contest manipulation" -- are you listening to yourself?

You're a walking allegation machine. According to Iris Kyle's own words, the organization wanted her to qualify for the Rising Phoenix. She indicated that was beneath her. She was Ms. Olympia, so her position was that her resumΓ© automatically qualified her for any other IFBB show. WOS and the IFBB did not support her position. You may agree with her stance, but it's not your call. Why are you questioning their integrity for letting her know the process for gaining entry to a NEW show? She had the option to earn entry, but elected not to. That was a personal choice by the competitor, not mistreatment of the competitor. Do you have any evidence to claim that she was actually banned from entering?

Andrea Shaw won the 2020 Ms. Olympia. Margie placed 2nd. Helle placed 3rd. Mayla was 4th. Irene placed 5th. Monique was 6th. What's the issue? Is that Alina's hand-picked lineup that was predetermined?

Sheena Ohlig just won the Chicago Pro. Is that Alina's fault she was the best on the stage?

Who should be running the business?

cgsweat
Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

Iris Kyle hasn't competed since 2014 (7 years) and so WoS has every right to put her through the same qualification process as anyone else. That's like trying to argue that Ronnie Coleman should get a free pass just because he won a bunch of Olympias in the past, even though he's a crippled mess now (not saying Iris is crippled now, but she isn't in the same condition as 7 years ago). As megamusclefan said, it was Iris's choice to not go through the process, and WoS is not wrong for enforcing it.

[deleted]
Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. I am entirely aware of my choice of words, I happen to know PERSONALLY a number of FBB who experienced the dark side of WOS. I do stand 100% behind my words. The maltreatment of Iris by WOS (and IFBB) did not start at last year's Miss O, but 5 years earlier at Rising Phoenix when she was invited and subsequently disinvited for Rising Phoenix. And reg. Miss O qualifications, as far as I remember WOS issued so called wild cards. And who received these? WOS ambassadors. The conflict of interest is a fact, all your twisting around won't change it

cgsweat
Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

@birmi482

I still don't understand all the vitriol you have for WoS. I would settle on taking your word for it and believe in your personal experiences, but unfortunately I rely on facts to make up my mind on things. To refer back to the original post, eventually a user provided evidence of Anastasia's husband bad-mouthing WoS. If there is an article or video you can share, or link to a post that one of these women has made in their social media profiles that backs up your claims, then I'd be more than willing to take a look at them. Otherwise you're just getting into a shouting match with other users and not really doing anything to persuade us to see things from your point of view.

Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan. I am entirely aware of my choice of words, I happen to know PERSONALLY a number of FBB who experienced the dark side of WOS. I do stand 100% behind my words. The maltreatment of Iris by WOS (and IFBB) did not start at last year's Miss O, but 5 years earlier at Rising Phoenix when she was invited and subsequently disinvited for Rising Phoenix. And reg. Miss O qualifications, as far as I remember WOS issued so called wild cards. And who received these? WOS ambassadors. The conflict of interest is a fact, all your twisting around won't change it

"Dark side of WOS"?? I didn't think this could get any better! WOS created a new IFBB Pro show, the Rising Phoenix. I wasn't there when the decision was made, but they apparently worked with the IFBB to create the event and to establish the qualifying criteria. How is that unfair? You know more than I do about Iris' situation, but is it possible that her invitation to Rising Phoenix was contingent upon entering another IFBB event within 1-2 years? I don't know the answer, that's why I'm asking.

What interests do you believe are being conflicted? You keep using that term, but I don't think you know what it means. WOS is an entertainment company and they are producing an entertainment product. Maybe you're confused, because you think they are something else. What - specifically - are the conflicting interests?

And, in your opinion, who should be running the business of promoting female bodybuilding, since NO ONE ELSE wanted to do it?

[deleted]
Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

@cgsweat @megamusclefan. Okay, we have contrasting opinions. I don't dispute your facts though I have additional facts and first hand evidence. Our dispute is about the interpretation of the facts.

Don't forget, this forum is about Leonova'd husband calling out WOS and especially Alina and not about WOS per se. I tried to analyze and explain the background and mindset of Mr. Leonova. I rest my case here. I have tried to give my 5 cent to the situation. You can take it or leave it, but I certainly do not wish to continue this discussion as it becomes senseless

Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

@cgsweat @megamusclefan. Okay, we have contrasting opinions. I don't dispute your facts though I have additional facts and first hand evidence. Our dispute is about the interpretation of the facts.

Don't forget, this forum is about Leonova'd husband calling out WOS and especially Alina and not about WOS per se. I tried to analyze and explain the background and mindset of Mr. Leonova. I rest my case here. I have tried to give my 5 cent to the situation. You can take it or leave it, but I certainly do not wish to continue this discussion as it becomes senseless

You accused WOS of operating like a cartel. You used that word at least twice. When challenged, you said "well, Alina has too much control" and "there's a conflict of interest!" and when asked for clarification, you provided none, then claimed to have "facts and evidence", once again, providing none.

Even though you could be a disgruntled former employee with actual knowledge of their operations, it seems more likely that you're a fan who applied for a job with WOS but were denied, despite your insistence you had the secret, most awesomest formula to run female bodybuilding that would be completely fair to every person in the entire world and that would have integrity, ambassadorships for all (even the husbands!), and zero, I mean ZERO conflicts of interest, so the competitions would be perfect every single time.

And although they have created something amazing out of practically NOTHING, they must forever be badmouthed, because they didn't see it your way and hire you when they had the chance.

At least I think I have the answer to the question of "who should be running the business?" now. It's you. It was you all along, but you did not want to say so, because you are a humble person.

Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

I still don't understand all the vitriol you have for WoS. I would settle on taking your word for it and believe in your personal experiences, but unfortunately I rely on facts

That's the part that makes zero sense. Everyone doesn't have to agree on everything, but there is one pretty important fact that is 100% undeniable: without WOS, there would be no women's pro bodybuilding competition in the IFBB today. If this person is claiming to have been a fan "since the 1980s", how would he not know that? Maybe he just saw some pics he liked 40 years ago and then became a real fan 25-30 years later. I suppose that's possible, but the people who were around in the late 90s saw what was happening when the Ms. Olympia was canceled and then resurrected as an add-on event at the Extravaganza. After that, there were still more times when FBBs were treated as second-class members of the IFBB. And then WOS stepped up to the plate to take on something that had never been done before. A decade later, they are succeeding and continuing to grow.

Anyone who hates that truth cannot really be a fan of women's pro bodybuilding. They're just a casual, and that's OK.

Jul 28, 2021 - permalink

This forum went sideways, huh?

cgsweat
Jul 29, 2021 - permalink

This forum went sideways, huh?

A bit, but not enough for me to close the thread. Alina represents WoS, which still ties it to the original post. If it were to go any further off topic then I'd have to close it.

cgsweat
Jul 29, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan

I don't trust anyone on the internet. Anyone can make any claim they want about anyone or anything, but I'm not going to believe any of it unless they present facts/evidence/proof to back it up. And yes I agree with you about WoS and I definitely appreciate all the good they have done for women's bodybuilding.

To bring it back to the original post, I've already stated that I think Alina's husband is crazy for trying to pick a war with them, but maybe his kayfabe strategy has worked for him in the past and he knows something else that we don't. So again unless we have all the facts then it's all just speculation.

Jul 29, 2021 - permalink

At around 30 sec, watch out they are coming. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4aS6mGtjxI

Jul 29, 2021 - permalink

I don't trust anyone on the internet. Anyone can make any claim they want about anyone or anything, but I'm not going to believe any of it unless they present facts/evidence/proof to back it up. And yes I agree with you about WoS and I definitely appreciate all the good they have done for women's bodybuilding.

To bring it back to the original post, I've already stated that I think Anastasia's husband is crazy for trying to pick a war with them, but maybe his kayfabe strategy has worked for him in the past and he knows something else that we don't. So again unless we have all the facts then it's all just speculation.

So true regarding unsupported "facts". A whole mountain of allegations and innuendo with the only evidence being that he disagreed with the results of a single show 3 years ago.

At around 30 sec, watch out they are coming. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4aS6mGtjxI

That was so cute - I loved it!! He sounds like a superfan of his wife and seems to be really enjoying the moment with her. While I may disagree with the tone of the graphic posted earlier, everything said on camera was positive and good-natured. That's definitely a guy I'd have a drink with.

Unfortunately, the Olympia is scheduled for October and I'm not optimistic about the borders being opened before then. I don't know what impact the unending covid travel protocols would have on bodybuilding competitors. I hope they make it here.

[deleted]
Jul 29, 2021 - edited Jul 29, 2021 - permalink

@megamusclefan, @cgsweat. I actually did not plan to continue our diatribe in this forum but since you called me out I have decided to hit back:

For a starter, I am not a disgruntled employee of WOS or a reject by this company. I am also not planning to take over as organizer of FBB, I am actually a director in the Financial Services sector.

As already stated, I have been following FBB since my teens in the 80s, you can mock as long as you want about having found some old 80s pics and claiming to be a fan since.

In contrast to you who are either an armchair fan or some kind of a WOS paid bot, I am a personal friend of a number of competitive FBB, not an internet, facebook, webcam friend, but a real personal friend with countless hours of personal conversation. I also know Alina, having met her a decade ago in London. So far the facts.

The evidence given to me is in personal conversations, having seen the email exchange between WOS and the athletes. As this has been shown to me on a confidential basis, I certainly will not uncover or name the athletes.

In all what you blame me for my vitriol against WOS, while I recognize their efforts for bringing back FBB on stage, I cannot look away from the flipside of it, their monopolizing position and sideeffects coming with it. I named them already I do not plan to rewrite them again.

As for your personal attacks on me, as I said before I don't know who you are, if you are some paid bot or some armchair fan. In any case you can continue to live in your fantasy world. Good luck πŸ–•πŸ–•

cgsweat
Jul 29, 2021 - permalink

I actually did not plan to continue our diatribe in this forum but since you called me out I have decided to hit back:

As for your personal attacks on me, as I said before I don't know who you are, if you are some paid bot or some armchair fan. In any case you can continue to live in your fantasy world. Good luck πŸ–•πŸ–•

It's interesting that you feel like just because you say you're done discussing something, everyone else should cease talking about it as well. That takes a rather impressive amount of ego. And while the discussion came to a natural close and refocused back on the original topic, you decided to reopen it (even though you "do not wish to continue this discussion as it becomes senseless"). No one has insulted you, and no one here is launching a "personal attack" on you. In fact you're the only one using strong language and throwing up middle finger emojis. Well done.

Closing the thread.

Thread locked by cgsweat.
« first < prev Page 4 of 4 next > last »