Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Improving the image comments

M76
Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

I believe THIS is the discussion. This is a page with the sole purpose of objectifying women. In this case muscular women.

Even if that is what most use it for, it doesn't need to be shouted into the ether at the top of our lungs. It could be a page celebrating these women's achievements.

So I guess “boing” makes some of us sick because we believe we are not a part of making the women into objects. We want to feel that we are here for a higher purpose. I’m afraid we are not, but that’s totally ok.

It makes us sick, because it is distasteful, even if you see a hot woman on the street you don't go up to her and say boing. That doesn't mean you can't find her attractive, but no need to be crude just because you are anonymous on the internet. Somehow that doesn't compel me to loose my morals.

I personally believe that we can be good and decent people while drooling over these pictures/clips. It’s not a question of right and wrong. At least if you do come here. Then maybe you should not.

You can drool over images without announcing it to the world is what I'm saying. When I was 10 I drooled over the lingiere section of mail order catalogues, but I didn't want to send letters to the company / models announcing it.

I also think that the majority of the comments holds no content. I choose not to be bothered. The pics usually steal my attention.

Being a lurker is fine too, more people should exercise that right. If they have nothing of value to add best hold their thoughts.

M76
Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Keeping up with all the images on this site is time consuming enough, so why should we have to take time to think up a decent comment every time we make one? There are only so many things you can say, and therefore repetition is inevitable. The only comments I would want to see eradicated are the derogatory or sexist/sexual ones, which can be crass beyond belief.

Dude, are you for real? You are complaining that keeping up with the images is hard work?

If you have nothing worthwhile to say nobody is forcing you to comment. This is not "that other site" that forces every user to post or else.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

If I want to make a comment I will, if I don't I wont. It seems you are the one with nothing worthwhile to say. Nobody is gonna force me to do anything. You obviously can't understand English, and totally missed my point.

M76
Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

If I want to make a comment I will, if I don't I wont. It seems you are the one with nothing worthwhile to say. Nobody is gonna force me to do anything. You obviously can't understand English, and totally missed my point.

I don't know what was your point then? You were clearly complaining about "keeping up with all the images"

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

How about if you don't like comments, or they annoy you, don't read them. After all you do have to scroll down the page to get to them. We already have a way to report rude, and abusive comments and the moderaters seem to do a good job policing them without going overboard dictatorship. Lastly, it's sounds like a real good idea to only have comments be visible to members. Other than that, IMO, nothing needs fixing.<

I think the problem is that many of the comments are on the border. Because this is a site to which people go because they admire or love the look of buff women, many of the comments are bound to have sexual overtones. Further, many of the women whose pictures end up here are posting deliberately sexual pictures. Finally, there are a great many levels of muscularity displayed on this site, and they generate different types of responses. --- The most important thing is to remind users every so often that they should not post anything that they would not want the bodybuilder in the picture to read. Most of us, when reminded, will use judgement.

I have to say I try to keep my responses as clean and supportive as possible, but sometimes I err.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

I don't know what was your point then? You were clearly complaining about "keeping up with all the images"

No I was not complaining about keeping up with the images, I like doing that. However it takes a long time. What I was complaining about was having to think up something appropriate to say everytime I want to make a comment. As long as a comment is not derogatory or sexual it should be allowed, however basic it may be.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

As long as a comment is not derogatory or sexual it should be allowed, however basic it may be.

What if the comments were not always public? What if everyone could choose to post a comment for everyone or for his eyes only? In that case everyone could see all the reasonable discussion and the person could privately give a thousand boings and wish that a hundred women would crush, smash and destroy him, without bothering anyone.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Further, many of the women whose pictures end up here are posting deliberately sexual pictures.

I think people are too focused on this sexuality aspect. In my musings elsewhere I have almost come to the conclusion that sexuality in itself is nothing. Or rather it is always a means to a non-sexual end or a way to express something that is not in itself sexual. Therefore if someone defined himself by his sexuality, it would be like defining yourself by the water under the bridge or clouds in the sky.

The strange logic behind this is that I am desired by someone, therefore I exist. Or on the other side, I desire therefore I exist. Or even that people witness my desire, therefore I exist.

The meaningful distinction is if the comment in any way serves another person who might read it. Sometimes some small compliment or praise is fine. A personal fantasy or a purely emotional reaction usually is not. Pointing out that the person in the picture is sexy because of this and that would be fine if at least half the readers of the comment would agree, instead of considering it an oddity. Or redundant. Or repetitive.

The most important thing is to remind users every so often that they should not post anything that they would not want the bodybuilder in the picture to read.

Sometimes this would require personally knowing that particular woman. Sometimes it is enough to know if the woman is in the business of smashing men or producing fantasies.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by Gunoga77
Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

This thread should be retitled “comment confessionals.”

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

It took me some time to understand why I suddenly needed to log in to see the comments. But now, after reading these two discussions I think I understand.

Etc., etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Here's another kind of comment I never want to see - someone's blathering, pseudo-intellectual senior thesis. And you're lecturing other people about narcissism?

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

What about the imagery that boasts sexuality? I don't mean perceived but provocative imagery that is best found on a pay-per-view site? Those postings are obviously looking for a validating comment that falls short of newly established comment protocols.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

A good comment would be something like a poetic compliment. It does happen, and I appreciate when someone's capable of articulating something I'm feeling. I also appreciate observant comments that compel me to look at the picture twice (this could be something in the background -- anything).

A comment like "sexy" does not add much, but whatever, it's understandable. Demanding poetry or insight every time is too much.

"Boing" is juvenile. This could conceivably be funny, but I agree that it's generally "trashy."

Up/down voting comments would be nice.

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

I don't know what it would take to implement something like this is there any way you could make a band comment list and if somebody were to type in that type of sleazy comment that they can get a warning or get banned for a certain amount of time is that a possibility I don't know if there's anything like that on here

Jul 17, 2022 - permalink

Have we considered, rather than viewing the comments as low quality, perhaps our expectations are too high?

What is the function/intent of the comment field to begin with?

Like anything on the great Internet, the majority of the information put in by “the crowd” will be junk.

Why can’t we simply view this as a natural feature, rather than a problem to be conquered?

I think the comments do serve a purpose: they create a sense of participation and sometimes, regardless of perceived quality, a sense of discourse. In short, they create a method to be involved with the site. And that’s a good thing. Right?

Totally agree.... well thought out and expressed.

Jul 18, 2022 - permalink

What about the imagery that boasts sexuality?

These women are probably looking for that validation on Instagram.

If a person here tries to validate the picture, the effort will usually be wasted.

Unless the guy who posted the picture is the one in need of validation.

One simple rule to follow would be to talk about the picture, not the erection or any other reaction.

Jul 27, 2022 - permalink

I love doing a search on comments 'wow' then 'wooooow' then 'wooooooow' then 'woooooooooooow' because if this is someone's instant reaction is usually means the photo is good. Other great search terms are 'sexy', 'baseball', 'peak', 'split'. Short comments are usually someone's most honest emotional reaction. Capturing that in comments is golden. I wouldn't like to see that limited for the sake of the illusion of making the site more intelligent.

Jul 27, 2022 - permalink

It is not about making site more intelligent, it is slow down Spam comments and better rules about commenting behaviour , thousands of same words in small varations of same people in short time Short comments are still possible but not endless by same

Jul 27, 2022 - permalink

Short comments are usually someone's most honest emotional reaction.

Or they are reactions by persons who most eagerly want to be seen as someone who is into "sexy" girls.

Being honest about something that has questionable truth value is not really valuable.

I do not hate or despise these guys. I would not genocide them. I would not mow them down with a machine gun. I would not throw them down the stairs or out a 10th floor window. I just don't enjoy listening to them and I don't enjoy their company and I don't think they are intelligent or interesting.

I just can't imagine an intelligent or interesting person making comments like those. But I can imagine a person who thinks he is interesting and intelligent, against the perception of everyone around them, making those comments.

People who live according to their instant reactions are usually incontinent in other ways too.

I have had my own wows and whoas but I can't imagine why my mindless instant reaction would mean anything to anyone else. Unless this is some kind of psychotherapy with a goal of helping me to accept and embrace my wows and whoas. Except that I have lost my wows and whoas and now my instant reaction is to think that there's again another girl asking for attention by displaying her body. Except when she looks nice and seems to be doing real sports. In that case I just think it's a girl advertising her hobby. Say Ayane Takenaka.

The more irrational and self-absorbed the person is, the bigger the wows and whoas will be. You have two independent variables that produce what you see. That makes it almost worthless as data. Who will more probably say boing? The person who really sees something worth boinging about? Or the person who is in general more prone to announcing his bodily reactions? "I gotta poo now." Yeah, thanks for telling us.

Capturing that in comments is golden.

I'm a lion! See me drool!

Jul 27, 2022 - edited Jul 27, 2022 - permalink
  • I would not genocide them. I would not mow them down with a machine gun. I would not throw them down the stairs or out a 10th floor window. *

"I mean, it may have crossed my mind... but I've definitely decided these punishments would be just a bit over-the-top..."

Is waterboarding still on the table?

Jul 27, 2022 - permalink

Is waterboarding still on the table?

I think the purpose of that is to extract information. That is something I definitely would not want to do.

Jul 27, 2022 - permalink

I think the purpose of that is to extract information. That is something I definitely would not want to do.

Touché

Jul 27, 2022 - permalink

Or they are reactions by persons who most eagerly want to be seen as someone who is into "sexy" girls.

Being honest about something that has questionable truth value is not really valuable.

I do not hate or despise these guys. I would not genocide them. I would not mow them down with a machine gun. I would not throw them down the stairs or out a 10th floor window. I just don't enjoy listening to them and I don't enjoy their company and I don't think they are intelligent or interesting.

I just can't imagine an intelligent or interesting person making comments like those. But I can imagine a person who thinks he is interesting and intelligent, against the perception of everyone around them, making those comments.

People who live according to their instant reactions are usually incontinent in other ways too.

I have had my own wows and whoas but I can't imagine why my mindless instant reaction would mean anything to anyone else. Unless this is some kind of psychotherapy with a goal of helping me to accept and embrace my wows and whoas. Except that I have lost my wows and whoas and now my instant reaction is to think that there's again another girl asking for attention by displaying her body. Except when she looks nice and seems to be doing real sports. In that case I just think it's a girl advertising her hobby. Say Ayane Takenaka.

The more irrational and self-absorbed the person is, the bigger the wows and whoas will be. You have two independent variables that produce what you see. That makes it almost worthless as data. Who will more probably say boing? The person who really sees something worth boinging about? Or the person who is in general more prone to announcing his bodily reactions? "I gotta poo now." Yeah, thanks for telling us.

I'm a lion! See me drool!

I'm straight up an intellectual. I prefer intelligent comments too. But I search using those short comments. Because I know they are a reliable indication of how people feel about an image. I think if you were a PHD in data management, you would try not to limit too much those kinds of comments. We live in a world where AI will soon be running all our searches and short comment data will be one of the parameters AI uses to sort content. I just think it's shooting yourself in the foot to limit it too much. Some like 'boing' is worthless because it is on every post, but something like 'great peak' is currently the only way to search for peaked biceps. It will help AI sort things. I'm saying, be careful what you limit so that you can future proof the site. Don't let your emotional needs for better comments get in the way of effective data management.

Jul 31, 2022 - permalink

But I can imagine a person who thinks he is interesting and intelligent, against the perception of everyone around them, making those comments.

Does this include psychological analysis of total strangers from 12 years old to their maybe their 70s?

« first < prev Page 4 of 9 next > last »