Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Should bodybuilders use steroids?

« first < prev Page 7 of 15 next > last »
Nov 29, 2021 - permalink

Natural bodybuilding is totally tough to achieve because it takes years of dedication, eating the right foods, and more to achieve a moderate bodybuilding look for the men and women. It's the most difficult route to take in bodybuilding. Steroids and HGH cut that time in half in terms of the time it takes to train and get big. Believe me I used to work at Gold's Gym in Venice Beach and the managers and staff would ignore people that are on the gear and taking them inside the locker rooms. Gold's Gym, and other hardcore gyms need these people who are on the gear and who are not professional bodybuilders, and are professional bodybuilders to indirectly help promote their gym and get customers to sign up for memberships. Steroids and HGH to me are a life saver because I was never getting noticed by anybody before I started my bodybuilding journey. The gear gave me a boost of confidence that I never had before and I'm not getting off this feeling.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Never.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

It's their choice to take it or not. Leave it at that.

Whether or not paid professional athletes should is a different ask altogether. BB's can be 'sponsored' and earn prize money but are not paid like Football, Soccer, Boxing etc.

Should pro athletes from professional-level-paying sports take steroids or PED's is the question.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

I've done steroids before. They are fucking amazing... as advertised. And unlike Creatine and other mostly-nonsense things, they really work.

It's important to know that muscle size and strength is not the only factors which are enhanced. Steroids disproportionately affect muscle groups with more androgen receptors... notably the traps, delts, and lats. They are VERY necessary for most bodybuilders to achieve a competitive V-taper. Not everyone to be sure.. but most.

Additionally they help you shed fat and gain hardness and definition. If you've ever touched the muscles of someone who's actively juicing, you know what I'm talking about. The muscles pop out of the skin and have a really firm texture. You don't get that naturally.

You can achieve far more in bodybuilding with steroids. No amount of natural time and work will equal that - at least for the vast majority of people.

I just wish that they were legal and able to be used in a safer manner. The idea that steroids should go away is ridiculous. The belief that they are the exception and not the norm in most professional sports is even more ridiculous. I think that they're a tremendous scientific achievement, and I'd be on board for fully legalizing their use.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Should pro athletes from professional-level-paying sports take steroids or PED's is the question.

Should they? Probably not? But as long as pro sports are driven by money/results and not the spirit of fair competition, then pro athletes are going to do anything to give them an edge.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

I just wish that they were legal and able to be used in a safer manner. The idea that steroids should go away is ridiculous. The belief that they are the exception and not the norm in most professional sports is even more ridiculous. I think that they're a tremendous scientific achievement, and I'd be on board for fully legalizing their use.

I agree. Steroids being illegal just makes no fucking sense.

Honestly most illegal drugs are ridiculous if Alcohol is legal. Alcohol destroys more people than all other drugs combined.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

I've done steroids before. They are fucking amazing... as advertised. And unlike Creatine and other mostly-nonsense things, they really work.

It's important to know that muscle size and strength is not the only factors which are enhanced. Steroids disproportionately affect muscle groups with more androgen receptors... notably the traps, delts, and lats. They are VERY necessary for most bodybuilders to achieve a competitive V-taper. Not everyone to be sure.. but most.

Additionally they help you shed fat and gain hardness and definition. If you've ever touched the muscles of someone who's actively juicing, you know what I'm talking about. The muscles pop out of the skin and have a really firm texture. You don't get that naturally.

You can achieve far more in bodybuilding with steroids. No amount of natural time and work will equal that - at least for the vast majority of people.

You may have convinced me to get on them.

Been lifting naturally for years. Have a good physique, but I wonder what I would look like if I took that next step.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

In the US, tobacco is the leading cause of preventable death (alcohol is third). Legal substances do a lot of killing precisely because they're legal. It's like saying, "Go swim in the deep ocean because 99% of shark attacks occur in shallow water." That's where the people are. Governments should do more to curb the use of alcohol and tobacco (specifically by taxing); there are problems with federalism and cigarettes (something like a third of the cigs in New York state are illegally trafficked from other states by people taking advantage of arbitrage opportunities).

Steroids being illegal makes good sense. They're powerful hormones that can produce irreversible effects. People are wise to avoid unnecessary chemical dependence in general. Also, recreational/competitive steroid use is an example of a non-scalable positional good -- self-defeating. Ideally, their use would be limited to people with medical conditions (such as AIDs); then again, ideally people would not contract diseases like AIDs.

Nov 30, 2021 - edited Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

I wonder if anyone who has taken steroids, legally or illegally, has ever complained to or sued the manufacturer because of the side effects, and got compensation?

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

As I mentioned in an earlier post, street steroids are likely impure or even mislabeled. It’s the lack of quality control in shady or ill funded labs that produce product that can make you sick or dead with chronic use. That’s why people should avoid steroids from unverified sources. I’m definitely not trying to preach abstinence. And, I agree they should be legally prescribed. Unfortunately the FDA doesn’t favor advancing the use of lifestyle meds including anabolic steroids. Even pure pharma grade anabolics have side effects. The worst are cardiovascular, liver and carcinogenic. If you’re chronically cycling, it would be best if you were monitored by a physician. I also believe that for mild steroids like oxandrolone, the side effects may be overstated due to lack of clinical scientific info.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

One Hundred Percent.

Never used myself, but enough of my friends, acquaintances and girlfriends have used to know what you say is legit.

That's one of the reasons why older men like me (in their 40's) are doing HRT a lot more often. I'm not, but would look at HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) in the future.

You can actually see the 'glow' of someone juicing. Hard to describe, but someone on steroids, who lifts, rests and eats well actually glows in the sunlight. Weird. But cool.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Should they? Probably not? But as long as pro sports are driven by money/results and not the spirit of fair competition, then pro athletes are going to do anything to give them an edge.

Heck, if a pro contract was on the line or if I needed it to keep that goldmine-paying contract - of course I'd juice!

Just to look good on the streets...no.

Was a WADA-tested athlete for nearly four years so not keen on it - but if my financial career rested on it - of course.

NB. Not judging anyone! Just my $0.02c.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

You may have convinced me to get on them.

Been lifting naturally for years. Have a good physique, but I wonder what I would look like if I took that next step.

Before and After pics bro!!

> I'm with teniss4. > > if you've been following this thread, you've seen quite a few contributors who refuse to accept the fact that some women can build impressive amounts of muscle without juicing. >

I'm sorry but this comes across as a massively uneducated statement. How closely involved with the bodybuilding community are you?

Those of us who bodybuild ourselves see first hand how widespread PED use is. "Steroids" are everywhere. Never mind competitions. Even just casual people at the gym who don't compete are on them.

Try bodybuilding naturally yourself. It's fucking hard, for a MAN. The time it takes to make progress is ridiculous.

I wouldn't say genetic freaks are impossible but I've personally never met any. And I've met a lot of bodybuilders.

You seem to be arguing a completely unrelated point. Nobody claims that steroids aren't ubiquitous nowadays. At my gym there are surprisingly many people who are juicing and aren't even in a good shape to begin with. Not to mention the huge meatheads. Among bodybuilders it's probably 99% juicers and 100% among the successful ones. However, you've got a lot of photos of circus athletes from before steroids were available, like the one I've just linked. And, unsurprisingly, they do possess both impressive mass and definition. Obviously they're smaller than the likes of Renne Toney, but Renne Toney is probably genetically just as gifted and definietely on an insane amount of all kinds of PEDs.

The point is that some women can build muscle without steroids, albeit less if they were taking.

[deleted]
Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

If you believe that you should avoid substances that increase the risk of harm or death, then you'd agree that steroids should be avoided. Steroids increase the chances of strokes, cancers and organ failures.

But when has that ever stopped some people? Definitely not the girls we see on here.

Me and my wife have both been taking steroids and hgh for several years now with me taking them since I was 21 when I was a few years into working at Gold's Gym and my wife for at least 6 years now. I take the gear that is administered by my family doctor carefully and my wife does her own injection of Anavar once in a long while but she does HGH, creatine, and protein. And plus my wife has pretty awesome genetics being of Russian and Bulgarian background. We've never had any severe side effects that is associated when taking the gear. The only thing that my wife needed was breast enhancement, and jawline surgery due to steroids and hgh. Steroids and HGH have done wonders in our lives and honestly we are very supportive of people who made the choice to take them on a professional level or take them to feel better about themselves. Either way it's a win win in my opinion.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Jaw surgery NOT due to HGH Godzilla? Not sure I follow how that isn't attributed to the gear.....

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Jaw surgery NOT due to HGH Godzilla? Not sure I follow how that isn't attributed to the gear.....

I accidentally typed not because I was excited to get my explanation out. Mistakes happen.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

I think steroid use is fine, but what worries me is people who use PEDs who claim they are natural and set unrealistic expectations for people

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Thank you, teniss4.

Some of these people were pissing me off. I'm very well aware that steroid use is common, but to imply - or even outright say - that "99.9%" of the women on these pages are juicing is an exagerration.

There are a lot of women here who aren't. If they were, they'd be a helluva lot bigger. They're not that hard to spot.

There are a lot of women here who aren't. If they were, they'd be a helluva lot bigger. They're not that hard to spot.

There’s no need to be a white knight around here.

Have a good look around. Size is not the only factor. For those competing in figure, it is not a dominant factor at all.

This whole conversation glosses over one of the functional uses of PEDs at elite levels of all sports: they drastically increase recovery time. That means decreased downtime. That means more time to train. That means a competitive edge. Bodybuilding is more than muscle growth, it’s body recovery and that involves joints, bones, everything.

Take a critical look at girls over the time periods when they go into contest prep and when they come out. Look at muscle hardness, look at distribution of body fat. Does it take discipline? Yes. Does it take effort? Yes. Does it take PEDs? Yes.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Thank you, teniss4.

Some of these people were pissing me off. I'm very well aware that steroid use is common, but to imply - or even outright say - that "99.9%" of the women on these pages are juicing is an exagerration.

What is your experience with lifting/bodybuilding/fitness?

Size has NOTHING to do with whether a bodybuilder is using steroids or not. Steroid use is common even amongst bikini competitors.

Come on man.

asianfitnessfan, you just don't get what I'm saying.

If someone had said "a lot", "most", or "the overwhelming majority" - hell, even "99 out of 100" for that matter - I'd have stayed the hell off my keyboard.

But to state that ONLY one in one thousand of the women who grace these pages are steroid-free is a bit much for me to accept.

How the hell that makes me a white night[sic] is beyond my comprehension. You are ascribing to me motivations that simply do not exist.

edit attn Gatsby28: I did NOT say it wasn't common. Don't put words in my mouth.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

asianfitnessfan, you just don't get what I'm saying.

That’s probably true, and why I’m disagreeing with you.

But to state that ONLY one in one thousand of the women who grace these pages are steroid-free is a bit much for me to accept.

OK, maybe it’s hard for you to accept, but you haven’t provided any reasonable fact-based counter argument to falsify the claim, other than an emotional reaction, which is consistent with white knight behavior. Can you clarify who made that 99.9% statement? And do you really believe the person who made that statement speaks for the belief of all the participants of this thread?

How the hell that makes me a white night[sic] is beyond my comprehension. You are ascribing to me motivations that simply do not exist.

Your level of passion toward a small detail is asymmetrical to the theme of the entire thread. Again, this tends to be associated with white knight behavior.

edit attn Gatsby28: I did NOT say it wasn't common. Don't put words in my mouth.

But you’re arguing with Gatsby about degree— you’re basically saying it is “common”, but not so so common. Essentially stating, “I am more right than you are.“ If you know something that we don’t, you haven’t really stated it.

Nov 30, 2021 - permalink

Jesus H. Christ.

This thread has turned into One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and you're Nurse Ratched.

« first < prev Page 7 of 15 next > last »