Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

How much can Caitlin Clark bench press?

How much can Caitlin Clark bench for multiple reps? (145 total votes)

115 lbs for reps (48, 33.1%)
more than 155 lbs for reps (28, 19.3%)
95 lbs for reps (25, 17.2%)
135 lbs for reps (21, 14.5%)
less than 95 lbs (12, 8.3%)
155 lbs for reps (11, 7.6%)
Apr 23, 2024 - permalink

College basketball superstar Caitlin Clark is 6 feet tall and weighs about 155 lbs. A reporter says she spent a "lot of time in the weightroom" this past year. She often flexes on the court. She has a thin frame, but is a highly-conditioned athlete, so it stands to reason she would be stronger than any average woman her height, weight, and build.

How much do you think Caitlin can bench press?

cgsweat
Apr 23, 2024 - permalink

Damn, not a single pic of her on this site ☠

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

Probably whatever a girl's basketball weighs.

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

Not much

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

Not much

Is that compared to yourself? Or compared to an average woman? Or compared to any average woman near her height and weight?

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

From the first hit on Google: "An untrained woman who weighs 165 pounds can typically bench press around 80 pounds. A novice female lifter of the same weight can often bench press around 95 pounds. An intermediate female lifter of the same weight can typically bench press around 115 pounds."

Clark's arms are much longer than most women, which reduces the amount she can bench. Kevin Durant infamously failed to bench 185 for a single rep (every other player at the NBA combine squeezed out at least one rep). I'd guess Clark could do 95 lbs, but I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't or if she could do 115.

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

Clark's arms are much longer than most women, which reduces the amount she can bench.

Taller people are stronger.

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

Much More than me

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

I've seen Italian pole vaulter Sonia Malavisi bench press 90kg for one rep.

Apr 24, 2024 - permalink

I'm thinking she's capable of 135 for 3-4 reps, maybe a couple more.

Apr 25, 2024 - permalink

I'd be surprised if she can bench more than 95lbs.

Apr 25, 2024 - permalink

Taller people are stronger.

This is irrelevant. Someone who is 6'10" could be stronger than someone who is 5'4" and still not bench as much. This is because a person with longer limbs needs to push the weight further in order to complete a rep.

Apr 25, 2024 - edited Apr 25, 2024 - permalink

This is irrelevant. Someone who is 6'10" could be stronger than someone who is 5'4" and still not bench as much. This is because a person with longer limbs needs to push the weight further in order to complete a rep.

Bingo! The absolute correct response. I was about to post the same thing until I saw Dashiprock's comment.

Apr 25, 2024 - permalink

My wife is an amateur bodybuilder (10 years now), 5'-7", 175 lbs, and she benches 155 for 12 reps. For women in general the chest is their weakest muscle group. Now, back, biceps, legs, she can kill it.

I would be shocked if Caitlin could do more than 115 lbs for real reps.

Apr 25, 2024 - permalink

That's essentially why I'm not impressed when I see those girls that arch their back to ridiculous proportions with only the tips of their shoulders on the bench. Then they bench press a heavy weight up and down a couple of inches. No doubt they're strong, and so many people argue for the arch as legit, but you know what? I'm not buying it. Let's see a REAL bench press!

Apr 25, 2024 - permalink

From the first hit on Google: "An untrained woman who weighs 165 pounds can typically bench press around 80 pounds. A novice female lifter of the same weight can often bench press around 95 pounds. An intermediate female lifter of the same weight can typically bench press around 115 pounds."

Clark's arms are much longer than most women, which reduces the amount she can bench. Kevin Durant infamously failed to bench 185 for a single rep (every other player at the NBA combine squeezed out at least one rep). I'd guess Clark could do 95 lbs, but I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't or if she could do 115.

It's false to say longer arms make you weaker. Tendons are connected at locations that ensure similar leverage no matter your height.

Apr 25, 2024 - permalink

My wife is an amateur bodybuilder (10 years now), 5'-7", 175 lbs, and she benches 155 for 12 reps. For women in general the chest is their weakest muscle group. Now, back, biceps, legs, she can kill it.

I would be shocked if Caitlin could do more than 115 lbs for real reps.

Very fair assessment.

Apr 26, 2024 - permalink

Upper body strength i just not very important for a basketball player. Atleast compared to other factors. So I doubt the bench press is prioritized in her weight training regime.

And yes armlength does factor in how strong your bench is. How much power is needed to move a certain weight is direct proportional to how far you are moving it. If that was not the case....we'll every time you jumped you would end up in space.

Apr 26, 2024 - permalink

Not Enough

Apr 26, 2024 - permalink

It's false to say longer arms make you weaker. Tendons are connected at locations that ensure similar leverage no matter your height.

Who is saying longer arms "make you weaker"? Not all reps are created equal: Longer arms require more strength because an identical amount of weight must be moved a greater distance.

Apr 26, 2024 - permalink

Who is saying longer arms "make you weaker"? Not all reps are created equal: Longer arms require more strength because an identical amount of weight must be moved a greater distance.

Yes, perhaps more total endurance for a number of reps. But the force required is the same.

fp909
Apr 26, 2024 - permalink

I’ve seen some ncaa athletes training online sometimes and even with strong builds I’m surprised how little they can bench. They also don’t really need too.

For the nfl Combine it’s a test of push strength and endurance but besides linemen how important is it? Maybe for guys fighting for position. QBs don’t really test it, if any do it at all.

Just doesn’t translate especially to a skill sport like basketball. Probably use it to maintain strength they have unless the recommendation is to get stronger (she’ll likely get that advice as she goes against larger and older players if her game doesn’t 100% translate or they adjust quickly. She has no reason to train it to hit numbers. She can probably do like 115 for some reps, maybe a plate for a few. I haven’t looked at her levers.

Apr 27, 2024 - permalink

Probably less than the vast majority of women here.

No, being taller doesn’t make you stronger. Taller people have to work much harder than shorter people to gain muscle, bulk and strength. Also, with her large wingspan the bar has to travel a lot farther for a proper rep. There is a reason why bodybuilders and top crossfitters are pretty short (I know Arnold was tall but he is an anomaly).

Also, while weight training is beneficial for any sport, there isn’t a large emphasis or need for a heavy bench with basketball training.

Apr 27, 2024 - permalink

No, being taller doesn’t make you stronger. Taller people have to work much harder than shorter people to gain muscle, bulk and strength. Also, with her large wingspan the bar has to travel a lot farther for a proper rep. There is a reason why bodybuilders and top crossfitters are pretty short (I know Arnold was tall but he is an anomaly).

Sure, they might have to work harder but they have a higher potential, also bench press being easier for shorter people is straight up a myth. the bar has to travel farther but they also have more muscle mass. the bench press world record holder for bench press is 6'3. the previous record holder was 6'7.

Bodybuilding and crossfit are some terrible examples, bodybuilding doesn't dictate strength at all and crossfit has a lot of bodyweight exercises. In Strongman everyone is tall, weightlifters in the heaviest category are all tall too.

Shorter people are only stronger pound for pound. Taller people are stronger overall.

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »