Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Why is this site named "Girls with muscle"?

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

Sounds like a stupid question, right? 😁 But as somebody who isn't a native speaker of the English language I wonder why the site wasn't named "Girls with muscles"? Because they have more than one muscle. Or do I miss something?

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

In English, the term 'muscle' can just be overall muscles, someone is just very muscular has muscle. I dont know why

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

Google was taken.

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

Actually, you are right to point this out. Muscle is the singular form of the noun whereas muscles is the plural.

Chainer
Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

I think it rolls off the tongue better without the additional S.

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

Check a dictionary... https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation....

All girls have the same number of muscles, but not all girls have the same muscular strenght (or muscle).

Mar 29, 2024 - edited Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

I think it rolls off the tongue better without the additional S.

It's all really up to choice...the difference is academic/moot and for grammarians to deal with.

The problem being that people that have just learned or are learning the English language will be confused by the title...just as Quintus has pointed out.

Mar 29, 2024 - edited Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

I dont know why

It's called an uncountable noun. Some nouns have both countable and uncountable forms, some have either or. You may have snow, but you usually do not have "a snow" or "many snows". Then you have "a car" and "many cars", but you do not put "some car" into something or drive "lots of a car".

Therefore a girl may have a muscle or many muscles or just lots of muscle. Girls with muscles sounds confusing because it gives you an idea of muscles as some kind of possession, instead of a body part. Every time I go partying I put on my muscles, and so on.

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

When I saw the title,I guessed the question was "why girls and not women"

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

You are right Zarkle. Nouns of mass can be used in this way. Unfortunately, when an individual is learning a language, such minor distinctions, are not touched upon until the individual has excellent understanding of the language. The average person learning a new language will become quickly lost in the hair-splitting if the instructor goes that far...which few experienced teachers would dare do.

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

Thank you. I suspected something like that but I wasn't sure. It seems this is similar to the word "people". It can mean just a bunch of folks but also all citizens of a country, like the "populus" in Latin or like "We the People" in the Bill of Rights.

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

This is one of the best threads in a long time. Reminds me of 'unrealmuscle' days.

Mar 29, 2024 - permalink

Thank you. I suspected something like that but I wasn't sure. It seems this is similar to the word "people". It can mean just a bunch of folks but also all citizens of a country, like the "populus" in Latin or like "We the People" in the Bill of Rights.

Good point Quintus --- but don't forget that the Singular Case in English is Person and that the Plural is either Persons or People. It is highly contextual. And then things get more complicated with 'Peoples'.

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

Sounds like a stupid question, right? 😁 But as somebody who isn't a native speaker of the English language I wonder why the site wasn't named "Girls with muscles"? Because they have more than one muscle. Or do I miss something?

'muscle' can simply mean 'muscular physique'. as in 'that person has muscle'. it can also mean they are strong 'that person has muscle'. if you are referring to the fact that they have lots of visible muscles you would say 'that person has muscles'. if a person is showing you one muscle like a bicep you could say 'look, you have a muscle'.

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

Basically, I have the same answer. It's because 'muscle' in this context is referring to an uncountable amount. However, I will add that 'muscles' might also get used in the uncountable context. English!

This can happen because English has a tendency to turn widspread 'mistakes' into vocabulary. The version ending in s would feel less correct to me, but it's hard to say it's strictly incorrect because it does get used. Even if it's not in the dictionary, because that is more of a guide that a rulebook.

The point is, to speak English like a local you only need a basic understanding of the vocabulary and grammar, a native sounding accent, and heaps of unearned confidence. This is how most native English speakers get by (I wish I was kidding).

Chainer
Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

To get pedantic, "girls with muscles" is a literally true statement for every woman, whereas "girls with muscle" implies that the "muscle" is notable or worth mentioning.

"This woman has a lot of muscles" -> duh, so does everyone

"This woman has a lot of muscle" -> This woman is muscular

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

It's the same as saying sport. Sport means any and every type of sport not just one. Americans say sports for some reason, adding an unnecessary s. If you were talking about one muscle you would say a muscle, indicating one. Girls with muscle means girls who generally speaking have muscles, not any one muscle in particular.

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

Does it really matter? at least the site doesn't have a gibberish name

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

Does it really matter? at least the site doesn't have a gibberish name

Good English matters, and the site is correctly named.

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

I think people obsessed with grammar are the most annoying people on earth.

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

If the person asking wants to know from a proper English standpoint as it is hard to learn than the answer is: because.

A the great word smith George Carlin has so elegantly pointed out the language breaks it's own rules and some things just have to be memorized: comb, tomb, bomb, womb. These inconsistencies yield to to nonsense sayings like: Takes the Cake. Where? Country is going down the tubes. What tubes? And of course, you hear? They gave John his walking papers today. You ever get these papers?

But to answer this question it's because musclebitches.com was taken.

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

I almost forgot. You would say: Am I missing something? You could also say: Or, is it just me that is missing something? "Do I miss something" has a Russian accent to it.

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

I almost forgot. You would say: Am I missing something? You could also say: Or, is it just me that is missing something? "Do I miss something" has a Russian accent to it.

My native language is German (I'm from Austria) - but maybe Russians would phrase it in a similar way. It's not that easy for me to understand all these nuances. It reminds me on this kinda funny video which shows the problem but on the level of pronunciation: https://youtu.be/tfRSvTSY0d4?si=SZALNmA1tFb6Ujku

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

yes obviously everyone has muscles, but that doesn't change the fact that people in casual conversation refer to big muscles as "muscles," i.e. "you've got some muscles, girl!!" <---this person isn't merely noting that the individual has all of the same body parts as anyone else.

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »