Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Why is this site named "Girls with muscle"?

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

I think it rolls off the tongue better without the additional S.

This

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

I think people obsessed with grammar are the most annoying people on earth.

That's me. Actually most of that kind of statements apply. But like they say in Unintended Consequences, after the first one the rest are free.

I do wish there was a natural language that was planned to give its users the maximum return on investment at all difficulty levels. It would be easy to say simple things without making dumb mistakes and no more complicated than necessary to do something like Shakespeare's English.

At the same time I don't believe it takes too much effort to get lose vs. loose, your vs. you're and its vs. it's correct, not to mention hypocrisy instead of hupocracy. What is it even? Government by a group called the Hupos? Are they some kind of Mexican revolutionaries? Los Guapos, but the name got misheard too many times? How about a simple English language cheat sheet that everyone was required to use to... well... say... gain access to the Internet?

Mar 30, 2024 - permalink

> I dont know why

It's called an uncountable noun. Some nouns have both countable and uncountable forms, some have either or. You may have snow, but you usually do not have "a snow" or "many snows". Then you have "a car" and "many cars", but you do not put "some car" into something or drive "lots of a car".

Therefore a girl may have a muscle or many muscles or just lots of muscle. Girls with muscles sounds confusing because it gives you an idea of muscles as some kind of possession, instead of a body part. Every time I go partying I put on my muscles, and so on.

Same as the word "hair."

You don't say "hairs" unless you are referring to specific countable hairs.

Mar 31, 2024 - permalink

I do wish there was a natural language that was planned to give its users the maximum return on investment at all difficulty levels. It would be easy to say simple things without making dumb mistakes and no more complicated than necessary to do something like Shakespeare's English.

In Shakespeare's English the season between spring and winter was fall, now autumn (from the french automne) BUT fall in US english. Plenty of similar examples between UK & US english related to word and also pronunciation.

British invented the English language, Americans perfectioned (to resume, they made it simple) In English, exception is the rule.

Mar 31, 2024 - permalink

In Shakespeare's English the season between spring and winter was fall, now autumn (from the french automne) BUT fall in US english. Plenty of similar examples between UK & US english related to word and also pronunciation.

British invented the English language, Americans perfectioned (to resume, they made it simple) In English, exception is the rule.

Are you saying Americans perfected the English language. Try telling that to anyone in the UK šŸ¤£

Mar 31, 2024 - permalink

Are you saying Americans perfected the English language. Try telling that to anyone in the UK šŸ¤£

...and Australians destroyed it!

Of course, it's a joke, but the fact is that Americans rewrite some of the grammar and rules to make the language more consistent. British english is full of inconsistences due to the past of the centuries and exceptions to each rule (I don't know any rule without its exception...probably I don't know all the rules (yet)) A true nighmare for non-english speakers...

Mar 31, 2024 - permalink

ā€œDumb mistakesā€ identify people who are not a part of the in-group, for better and for worse. Language also encodes sociological meaning that identifies in-groups and out-groups. Linguistic knowledge/behavior serves as a sociological markerā€¦ that such complexities provide advantages to those ā€œin the knowā€ is a feature, not a bug.

Enough people want to preserve barriers to entry across myriad sociological divides that these complicating features will likely never change.

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »