Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Slight change to how you get uploader credit when an image is merged

Chainer
Dec 05, 2023 - permalink

You now only get credit for uploading a merged image (in the Uploader field, under the image) if you uploaded your copy of the image before the copy that was kept in the merge. (Previously, you would always get credit no matter what.)

So, if you upload an image, and later someone uploads a higher quality version that yours gets merged into, you get credit.

If you upload an image and it gets merged into a previously uploaded higher quality version, you do not get credit.

This is a pretty small change, but I was motivated to make it mostly because I was annoyed at many merges I did of lower quality images where the uploader was getting credit even though they didn't really add anything of value to the site.

Dec 05, 2023 - permalink

That's good. But I have my doubts if this will stop uploads of lower quality.

Dec 05, 2023 - permalink

Second thought: it sometimes happens that someone uploads an image without a name and it is put on the waiting list. If someone else uploads a smaller image after that, when it is still on the waiting list, will the same rule apply? The second uploader has no way of knowing it has already been uploaded.

cgsweat
Dec 06, 2023 - permalink

How does this affect the image score and user favorites? Do they still get transferred to the merge winner as before?

Chainer
Dec 07, 2023 - permalink

Scoring is not affected by this.

I don't expect it to change uploader motivation, but that's not really why I did it. Plus it was like a one-liner change.

Second thought: it sometimes happens that someone uploads an image without a name and it is put on the waiting list. If someone else uploads a smaller image after that, when it is still on the waiting list, will the same rule apply? The second uploader has no way of knowing it has already been uploaded.

It goes by upload timestamp, ignoring the waitlist. Some uploaders are prone to get into upload-races like that and my advice is usually that if you want to avoid this situation, try to avoid uploading images where it is likely that someone else is racing to upload it as well.

Dec 07, 2023 - permalink

Is the higher quality/resolution automatically chosen when you merge?

Chainer
Dec 07, 2023 - permalink

https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/forum/thread/...

Sometimes it is obvious but often we have to look closely and decide manually.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »