Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

2022 Ms Olympia

Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

We might see a lot more girls call it quits after this. I just can’t see girls who consistently place lower becoming the absolute cream of the crop in the span of a year.

Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

I rather see the top 10-15 in world than see 20 girls tied for 16th.

Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

Looks like this already has ripples. Chelsea Dion said she’s out for 2023 since she did a lot of shows this year and if this rules in place better to take time off, rest, grow, and target 2024

Theresa Ivancik mentioned in a reply under one of her IG posts that she is strongly considering retirement.

Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

One thing apparent from thhe deep lineups in many of 3teh divisions was that many of the lower placed people didn't really belong. Tbh. No wonder they're changing it.

Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

The only change to the 2023 rules is the removal of the points system which in 2022 allowed 3 competitors who had the most points in each division to qualify for Olympia. Which means they will cut about 30 potential competitors from an 2023 Olympia show that will still be about 400 people (not event a 10% cut)

In 2022, the number of qualified competitors by division not including those who qualified via points were:

Men's Open: 33 Men's 212: 33 Men's Classic Physique: 63 Men's Physique: 69 Wheelchair: 14

Women's Bodybuilding: 18 Women's Physique: 22 Figure: 37 Fitness: 20 Wellness: 36 Bikini: 55

Looking at these numbers I don't think there was an issue with qualifying on points for Women's Bodybuilding due to the division not having many shows during the year (many of which occur far too early in the year IMO, but that's a different topic).

I heard some comments about the Olympia show being too long. Well the reason for that is obvious with sheer number of competitors in Bikini, Figure, Wellness, Classic Physique, and Men's Physique. Honestly the number of Men's 212 and Open are a bit bloated as well. I think something needs to be done to address those divisions, because they have far too many qualifying shows during the year. The 2023 rules do not address that problem, and for good reason because reducing the number of qualifying shows in the most popular divisions harms the sport of bodybuilding.

Do y'all think any serious competitor in any division would compete in a show that isn't an Olympia qualifier unless there was significant financial motivation to do so? Effectively, without something to give non Olympia qualifying events value those events would disappear due to lack of interest from the competitors.

Which is why I think the points system coupled with tiered event system (like they had in 2022) will make a return at some point. That's the only way I can see to reduce the amount of competitors in the problem divisions, so the Olympia can be run and judged efficiently and effectively without harming the sport by effectively cutting shows. Or they may build a totally new system for qualifying but either way the status quo is not sustainable long term.

fp909
Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

This really hurts wbb the most since they have 7 shows to wualify (I believe), and 2nd olace will not inherent the qualification ik told if someone already qualified competes for the prize money

For bikini or others there are way more chances to get in the show

Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

7 is still too many qualifiers, and 50+ is way too many for a single division.

Everyone doesn’t get to make it to the biggest stage.

fp909
Dec 29, 2022 - permalink

7 is too many for WBB? That plus auto qualify would put a max of 10 on stage, which I think is the correct amount for them. This of course includes European shows.

« first < prev Page 9 of 9 next > last »