Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

"Recently Favorited" has replaced "Recently Commented" on the front page (reverted)

Jul 10, 2022 - permalink

Recently commented - it captures what’s “viral”

Jul 10, 2022 - permalink

if you're gonna get rid of anything, i'd say hidden gems, and recently favorited in that order. recommended for you i find to be pretty cool. recently commented has always been the best one though.

Jul 10, 2022 - permalink

The " recommended for you" dont really work but i understand the reason for replace the " recently commented " hardcore spam commenteres are not on top anymore

M76
Jul 10, 2022 - permalink

I never noticed this big epidemic of spam comments. Seems to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The "recommended for you" actually works for me, probably because I don't favorite images left right and center, only the ones that really stand out to me.

Jul 10, 2022 - permalink

Same here. I really appreciate “recommended for you” because it does a great job of displaying images I would not otherwise find.

Jul 10, 2022 - permalink

Commenters here certainly can't be considered a representative of all members and even less so of all visitors, but it does appear that the weight of opinion among those interested in and involved in site enough to comment is in favor of restoring the "recently commented." There should still be few enough to make counting them practical for the administrator and moderators. There is some disagreement about what to throw out if something has to be eliminated to restore "recently commented," but the substitute "recently favorited" looks like the plurality choice.

Jul 11, 2022 - permalink

Recently favorited is pointless. There are hundreds of images being favorited every minute. It's just an irrelevant blur!

Jul 11, 2022 - permalink

I think "most commented" would be a near repeat of "high score today"...

You can re-favorite an image to bump it to the front page, but there is a cooldown period so that if you do this too often it won't actually get bumped. Also, even if you do this, it's likely to only be on the front page for a few minutes due to how fast that section moves.

Why can’t there be a cool down interval for comments?

It seems site administrators perceive an incentive for commenters to bump an image to the front page. This same incentive now has an even lower friction option, that is, just pushing the “favorite“ button. But now I am reading that an underlying logic exists as a kind of brake, a cool down, to prevent this bumping via pushing “favorite” from happening indiscriminately.

Just curious: why does this cooling down period apply to “favorite” actions, but not to commenting actions?

Jul 11, 2022 - permalink

M76 wrote: "I never noticed this big epidemic of spam comments."

Count your blessings. Some examples you may have missed: "what a woman," "what a flex," "grow bigger babe," "great biceps," "goddess!"

These guys must think that these models are waiting with "bated breath" to hear their "analyses."

Jul 11, 2022 - permalink

Simple as that. Recently fav was a mistake, even the amount of all these comments show that. We just have to understand that and we can keep living in peace

Jul 12, 2022 - permalink

Why hasn’t this reverted back yet? Clearly a miscalculation here. Almost every other tweak has been spot on. This one totally missed the mark.

Someone said hidden gems not useful. I think it is but very marginally.

Two best section actually most commented (most useful by far) and highest rated, followed by recent images. Recent favorited totally useless.

Jul 12, 2022 - edited Jul 12, 2022 - permalink

Why hasn’t this reverted back yet? Clearly a miscalculation here. Almost every other tweak has been spot on. This one totally missed the mark.

And that be why the devs are walking away from this one with their palms up and out, wide-eyed @.@

Honestly though I think they will. They've clearly heard their base's response and are probably in that phase where they're doing something about it but haven't updated the Remedy ticket yet.

.... +1 point to your life if you get that comment.

Jul 12, 2022 - permalink

Yeah I second the statements about "give us back recently commented". The intention was good but "recently favorite" doesn't cut it...

M76
Jul 12, 2022 - permalink

Count your blessings. Some examples you may have missed: "what a woman," "what a flex," "grow bigger babe," "great biceps," "goddess!"

These guys must think that these models are waiting with "bated breath" to hear their "analyses."

Those types of comments were always there, they weren't caused by the recently commented section.

There should be a better way of dealing with low quality comments than condemning all comments to never see the light of day.

Chainer
Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

Because this was both unpopular and didn't accomplish the original goal of significantly reducing the low quality image comment count, I have undone this change.

You can still see Recently Favorited here.

Jul 13, 2022 - edited Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

Thank you Chainer. I did like the Recently Commented better. :)

Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

Thanks for being open to trying new things (provided they're easily reversible).

Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

Good move Chainer

Because this was both unpopular and didn't accomplish the original goal of significantly reducing the low quality image comment count, I have undone this change.

[deleted]

I like the "Recently Commented" section. It kind of catches what's trending on the site, good images that I might otherwise miss.

The section that I have no use for on the home/front page is "Hidden Gems." It's very rare that any of those photos are "gems" or anything that I will click on. I check the "Recently Posted," "Recently Commented," "Recommended for You - Recent Images," and "High Score Today" posts on a daily basis.

Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

Chainer, you made the right choice. You tried something new but for the most it didn't work.

M76
Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

Thanks for listening.

Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

"Hidden Gems" is good. Please keep it. Those who don't want to partake can feel free to skip over.

[deleted]

"Hidden Gems" is good. Please keep it. Those who don't want to partake can feel free to skip over.

I don't think there's any move to get rid of it. I was just expressing that it's completely useless to me. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've clicked on a "hidden gem" in the many years that I've been on GWM. To me, it's as if GWM finds the most conventional, boring images -- even of FBBs I'm a fan of -- and puts them there. Just my opinion. Nothing more.

Edit: That's not to say that I don't like the women on the "Hidden Gems" section .. They're gorgeous and amazing. My tastes are just not aligned with that section much. It's me, not the section.

« first < prev Page 3 of 4 next > last »