Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Long term (10 to 50 year) side effects of steroids

Jul 11, 2021 - permalink

Hey Guys, so I thought the discussion about natural bodybuilders was interesting but what I was more interested was what are the health effects for the many women on this site who obviously are taking a bit of something but not enough to have lasting effects. Are these women really risking their health with little knowledge of what outcomes there could be down the line or have some of these substances been proven safe in both men and women long term when used and monitored. (anavar , clen , test , etc )

Jul 11, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by cgsweat
Jul 11, 2021 - permalink

Hey Guys, so I thought the discussion about natural bodybuilders was interesting but what I was more interested was what are the health effects for the many women on this site who obviously are taking a bit of something but not enough to have lasting effects. Are these women really risking their health with little knowledge of what outcomes there could be down the line or have some of these substances been proven safe in both men and women long term when used and monitored. (anavar , clen , test , etc )

Oh they know what they are getting into for the most part but they are suicidal.

[deleted]
Jul 11, 2021 - edited Jul 11, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by Imagine
[deleted]
Jul 11, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by [deleted]
Jul 11, 2021 - permalink

link text

Click the link to find out what happens to these iron maidens.

Is there any proof? I thought this was just fake news

Jul 11, 2021 - permalink

Is there any proof? I thought this was just fake news

Yeah, it's Denise but this is what happens when ill-informed opinion gets passed around as gospel. It's vile, cynical, and willfully ignorant.

Jul 11, 2021 - permalink

Reality is, the bodybuilding community depends upon accumulated experimental knowledge of these drugs. Dosages, stacks, cycle times: none of the amounts or intervals for bodybuilding have been developed based on formal medical testing. And, the result that users are seeking is not a medical result. It is an aesthetic one.

This is not to say that established medical knowledge is not used. There are legitimate medical uses for anabolic steroids. However, doctors are not prescribing their use to bodybuilders for aesthetic reasons. And, dosages and risk factors are not one size fits all.

For the most part, especially in figure and fitness, people try small amounts of different compounds based on popular received advice, do it for a few years, and don’t usually have any catastrophic effects. Notice the “usually.“

Let’s say someone uses “light“ anabolic steroids for a few years. How do they know that any kidney or cardiac problems 20 years later are the result of this temporary use? They don’t.

Hopefully, anabolic users have a good and honest relationships with their doctors and are making sure that they are consistently monitored for risk factors. A person’s endocrine system is extremely complicated and regulates so many bodily functions. Because of this complexity, what “works“ or seems harmless for one person will be dangerous or damaging to another. If not approached with caution and respect, there can be lasting damage, for example, to the reproductive system, cardiovascular system, etc.

There’s a lot of questions and conversation about why women leave bodybuilding, quit, drop out, “disappear”, etc. Because anabolics are so taboo and people cannot admit to taking them, they also cannot give them as a reason for quitting. But, I am willing to bet the effects and risks of anabolic steroids are a common factor in women’s deciding to leave top level competition.

Jul 11, 2021 - permalink

Reality is, the bodybuilding community depends upon accumulated experimental knowledge of these drugs. Dosages, stacks, cycle times: none of the amounts or intervals for bodybuilding have been developed based on formal medical testing. And, the result that users are seeking is not a medical result. It is an aesthetic one.

This is not to say that established medical knowledge is not used. There are legitimate medical uses for anabolic steroids. However, doctors are not prescribing their use to bodybuilders for aesthetic reasons. And, dosages and risk factors are not one size fits all.

For the most part, especially in figure and fitness, people try small amounts of different compounds based on popular received advice, do it for a few years, and don’t usually have any catastrophic effects. Notice the “usually.“

Let’s say someone uses “light“ anabolic steroids for a few years. How do they know that any kidney or cardiac problems 20 years later are the result of this temporary use? They don’t.

Hopefully, anabolic users have a good and honest relationships with their doctors and are making sure that they are consistently monitored for risk factors. A person’s endocrine system is extremely complicated and regulates so many bodily functions. Because of this complexity, what “works“ or seems harmless for one person will be dangerous or damaging to another. If not approached with caution and respect, there can be lasting damage, for example, to the reproductive system, cardiovascular system, etc.

There’s a lot of questions and conversation about why women leave bodybuilding, quit, drop out, “disappear”, etc. Because anabolics are so taboo and people cannot admit to taking them, they also cannot give them as a reason for quitting. But, I am willing to bet the effects and risks of anabolic steroids are a common factor in women’s deciding to leave top level competition.

Asianfitnessfan pretty much nails it. Also, when looking specifically at what women take, Anavar is the most popular compound. Anavar is an oral compound, and even though it is “mild” compared to other PEDs, it is taken orallly, and oral anabolics are extremely harsh on the liver. Sure, it’s easier to administer and might be more “available” to women who might otherwise feel queasy about injecting themselves, but there are long-term risks to the liver, which also might explain why FBBs disappear or downsize for health reasons.

[deleted]
Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

Yeah, it's Denise but this is what happens when ill-informed opinion gets passed around as gospel. It's vile, cynical, and willfully ignorant.

I thought I had heard it was fake news too, but if not, she coulda chosen a better hair-do for that picture! I am, as is known, in favor of letting women grow their facial hair if they have it.

Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

Unfortunately this news is relevant: https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/forum/thread/...

Obviously we don’t know every detail. But, ongoing and undisclosed AAS use is not harmless.

Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

We'll find out in a couple decades or less..as this generation now are the first of women really juicing it up to the max at younger and younger ages. Most probably will die younger/have problems related to their continued use

fp909
Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

I'm not entirely unconvinced that Katie Lee's hospital problems were partly caused by her steroid use. She got beefed pretty fast.

But yeah, there are a lot of women that are willing to dip their toes in the pool, obviously, but there's definitely a higher amount diving right in at the moment. We got girls becoming figure pros at like 23/24 and ready to hit the O. Cyd Gillon is like 30 now, it took her years to build up (plus help) but she she didn't blast as hard.

I'm curious about women like Michaela Aycock who really went for it.

Jul 15, 2021 - edited Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

I'm not entirely unconvinced that Katie Lee's hospital problems were partly caused by her steroid use. She got beefed pretty fast.

I feel the same. If I remember correctly, it was inflammatory bowel disease?

Anyway, I thought it was kind of fucked up to see that, when she switched to BJJ and MMA, that she was so much bigger than her opponents at competitions. Obviously you need to be juicing to be competitive as a bodybuilder, but it is lousy to still be on them when competing at local-level martial arts tournaments.

Jul 15, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by Gatsby28
fp909
Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

I talked to another practitioner who said her technique is pretty poor. And she’s getting around it with a lot of strength. She moved through up to her current stripe quickly but you can do that byattending a lot of classes. A friend of mind just got her first stripe on blue and she’s been in 2x as long, and trains with brown/black belt guys, she is very strong for her size and muscular but she doesn’t want to skirt by on that

fp909
Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

Also it’s my impression she was off them. She had lost a fair bit of size between her last shoot with HDPhysiques and her first competition. It’s noticeable. It’s just that half of her photo posts are not recent at all so it kind of makes it confusing when you are thinking that’s her current size. But she’s still beefy. Just not as big as a couple years ago

cgsweat
Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

A friend of mind just got her first stripe on blue and she’s been in 2x as long, and trains with brown/black belt guys, she is very strong for her size and muscular but she doesn’t want to skirt by on that

As a former practitioner of tae kwon do, I will say that while it's easy to compare students of different schools, it's not always fair. Different instructors have different teaching methods, and adult students have a degree of say on whether or not they feel like they are ready to advance. Usually training isn't as scrutinized as thoroughly at lower ranks, but that changes as you get closer to black belt.

Having said that, that was my experience at least through the 90's/early 2000's. It's maybe different today with MMA.

fp909
Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

I started taking classes last fall for a hot second and guys that started at the same time who h know have been going regularly still aren’t blue belts (except for one kid that goes like every day). My friend was a white belt herself for 2 years, even with the added benefit of dating and living with a black belt so I’m sure there was extended practice at home and with others outside of class.

Katie has been at it for like 18 months and is already one stripe into her blue belt. If the structure is the same I wouldn’t be surprised if she was logging classes daily, if not double days

Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

The body may recover,,,,but it never forgets.Its no different than accumulated sunburns.

Jul 15, 2021 - permalink

While I appreciate the look of women who take steroids -- and even abuse them -- it's probably not in their long-term interest. I'd say this is different than men, who it seems often regret waiting too long before crossing over to the "dark side." Arnold, the Rock, Marky Mark and others owe their careers to abusing anabolics, but many leading men and recording artists are on cycles. Gear also helps recreational lifters attract women and get laid. Also, men who lift know that they're bound to receive more comments from other men than women. It's a general confidence booster.

The benefits are less clear when it comes to females. Women who lift sometimes say they don't want to feel small and weak (esp. petite girls). Then there are others who obsess over appearing lean (a high percentage of women come from a background of anorexia and steroids plus exercise seem to give them autonomy over their body). Large muscle mass appeals on females appeals to a small, "weird" subculture.

I remember finding an article in the archives of the NYT that discussed regrets from women who took steroids. One woman profiled said she'll have to forever shave her upper lip each morning. There was also someone, maybe the same person, who recounted changing at a health-club when another woman saw her from behind and said the men's room was across the hall, but quickly apologized upon realizing she was talking to a female. I think the bodybuilder cried as a result.

So, for women, while the benefits are psychological, people seem to worry over long-term physical damage, usually to kidneys, liver, and heart. How many women quit or reduce their in-take because of their hair, skin, or voice?

Jul 16, 2021 - permalink

What happened to Katie Lee??

Jul 16, 2021 - permalink

What happened to Katie Lee??

She was hospitalized for a couple weeks. Inflammatory bowel disease.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »