Forum > Off Topic > Thread

The Pro-Wrestling Thread

cgsweat
Jun 26, 2021 - permalink

I'm reserving this for any and all discussions related to pro-wrestling (WWE, AEW, TNA, WCW, WWF, etc, etc), not to be confused with session wrestling. So ask or discuss any questions you want here.

My question right now... How many people from the UK are wrestling fans?

From looking through youtube comments, it seems there are a lot of you! Personally, me being from the States, I never knew WWE even broadcast over there! Although keep in mind I kind of stopped watching wrestling around the time WWF and WCW merged, so take that for what it's worth.

Jun 27, 2021 - permalink

I used to watch during the attitude/ smackdown era. I got into wrestling because of the ps2 game Smackdown 2. You could create female characters in the game and make them big but not too muscular. I remember I used to have a separate save file in a separate memory card, so no one in my family could see it.

I think WWE was the reason many people became female muscle fans. It was the only mainstream program that features athletic/fit females every week (not to mention Chyna in the attitude era)

Jun 27, 2021 - edited Jun 27, 2021 - permalink

Personally, me being from the States, I never knew WWE even broadcast over there!

The most American thing you could have said! 😄

The UK arguably produces more Wrestling Youtube content than anyone else. Simon Miller and the Lads at Whatculture, Oli Davis and Adam Blampied at WrestleTalk and PartsFunKnown, Adam Pacitti and the Boys at Cultaholic and of course Matthew Gregg of Botchamania pump out an ungodly amount of videos between them.

cgsweat
Jun 27, 2021 - permalink

HallowsHavok:

Simon Miller and the Lads at Whatculture

Ah, yes... Johnny Sins and Whatculture. Very familiar with their channel. I do enjoy their top 10 lists, but sometimes they do have some glaring oversights. I would even add to your list the Wrestlelamia channel and one of my favorite series Behind the Titantron.

zaq1:

I think WWE was the reason many people became female muscle fans. It was the only mainstream program that features athletic/fit females every week (not to mention Chyna in the attitude era)

Indeed it was for me, a large reason. The other being female muscle in comics and early video game art (from magazines, at a time when video games were still in their early stages). But Chyna was probably the first time I had ever seen a female bodybuilder go mainstream. If I wasn't 100% hooked on female muscle by then, I was certainly hooked after.

cgsweat
Jun 27, 2021 - permalink

But Chyna was probably the first time I had ever seen a female bodybuilder go mainstream.

I take that back, I think technically for me it was the women from American Gladiators.

Jun 29, 2021 - permalink

From WrestleTalk today.

Jun 30, 2021 - permalink

This is about one of the only threads I may be of some help in lol. Mainly TNA/Impact and AEW along with some minor Indy knowledge.

Jul 04, 2021 - permalink

Valentina Mishina to AEW confirmed. 🙏

[deleted]
Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

Valentina Mishina to AEW confirmed. 🙏

Why? Does she have any training at all?

cgsweat
Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

Why? Does she have any training at all?

Maybe she'll be like Chyna and start off as a "bodyguard" or manager, then train along the way.

[deleted]
Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

Joanie Laurer had already been trained by Killer Kowalski and wrestled before signing with the WWF.

Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

Wouldnt the pro wrestling fans complain? She honestly sounds like a dude when she speaks. Maybe its best not to get her on the mic

Also she has more muscle than an average female wrestler

cgsweat
Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

Joanie Laurer had already been trained by Killer Kowalski and wrestled before signing with the WWF.

I learned something new today.

Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

I learned something new today.

Yes, she and triple h trained together. In fact she was married to him for some time. There are rumors that when triple h divorced her and married Stephanie, Stephanie drove Chyna out of WWE

cgsweat
Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

There are rumors that when triple h divorced her and married Stephanie, Stephanie drove Chyna out of WWE

Wouldn't surprise me. That McMahon ruthlessness runs in the family.

[deleted]
Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

Chyna and Hunter were never married, though they were a couple. One of the reasons he left her was because she didn't want kids.

Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

If you haven’t check out the new Chyna documentary on Vice. there’s a whole section on her dating HHH and how he cheated on Chyna with Stephanie and then she was kinda driven out of the WWE. It’s definitely a downer but an interesting watch. She was such an amazing performer but she seemed to always pick the wrong people to trust.

Jul 05, 2021 - permalink

Stephanie gleefully talks of forcing Chyna out of the company in many interviews. Triple H simply took the option to marry into the family. Chyna had her friends there ( Steve Austin, and Mick Foley to name two) but it did no good.

Jul 05, 2021 - permalink
cgsweat
Jul 06, 2021 - permalink

If you haven’t check out the new Chyna documentary on Vice.

This is the link for anyone interested. Haven't watched it yet myself, but I plan to at some point.

Posting this before I forget, this came up in my recommendations on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuMAMZIKsQg

I forgot how jacked Jazz used to be! 💪🏾

Jul 06, 2021 - permalink

I forgot how jacked Jazz used to be! 💪🏾

I have a ton of respect for Jazz. I would mark out for her all the time back when Chyna and Steph were taking up the screen time (wrestling politics guys you know it exists as said above, art imitates life. See Matt Hardy, Lita and Edge for another example 😂)

I'll tread this lightly and just say this. I don't think black girls have ever got a fair shake in WWE.

I chat with Terri every now and then on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/theterrirunnels Still a bit of a diva but also down to earth, she has some really funny stories about her time on the road and can get honest about the dark side too. Well worth saying hello if you get the chance.

cgsweat
Jul 18, 2021 - permalink

Watching old episodes of Raw, and came across one from April 8, 1996. Triple H had just lost Sable to Mark Mero, and shows up to the ring with a new woman. No one ever mentions her name, who do you guys think it is?

Personally, I think she looks a bit like Joanie Laurer... I managed to get 1 shot of her face and a few of her arms, but she was only on camera for all of 10 seconds total... if that. She's definitely smaller here than we all remember, but keep in mind she wasn't Chyna until at least sometime in '97.

Jul 18, 2021 - edited Jul 18, 2021 - permalink

Personally, I think she looks a bit like Joanie Laurer... I managed to get 1 shot of her face and a few of her arms, but she was only on camera for all of 10 seconds total... if that. She's definitely smaller here than we all remember, but keep in mind she wasn't Chyna until at least sometime in '97.

I'm not sure who that is. Definitively not Joanie though. Her timeline of coming to the WWE is well documented and you can look up pics of her and what she looked like before making it big and that is not her. I'd be interested in a name though she looks nice. If it was a one off I wonder if it wasn't just some random girl they hired because they just needed someone next to HHH. Or her contract didn't work out or whatever. You wouldn't think you'd see a performer just once but it happens.

« first < prev Page 1 of 4 next > last »