Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Muscle woman clichés you're tired of

Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

Maybe this belongs in the stories section, but I'll put it here - what are some tropes and clichés you're tired of seeing when it comes to muscle women in movies, TV shows, comics, etc?

Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

I'm tired of the cliche in cartoons (simpsons, family guy, futurama etc) where the female encounters a problem, goes to a gym to relax, a guy approaches them, gives them roids, they grow huge overnight,they like the way they look and keep going, get angry, realize it's a problem because they have roid rage and then suddenly shrink back to normal overnight only to realize they could have solved their problem without running from them.

Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

Always depicting muscular women in cartoon as antagonists who have a strong entry scene only to be beaten or killed very fast by the protagonist.

Another thing, why is that in cartoon the muscle woman shown as a good person gets killed first even before anyone else dies.

Also I agree with what @czach08 has stated.

fp909
Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

It's kind of a general trope but magically or otherwise growing for whatever purpose, completing that purpose, but not actually having earned anything in the process. Sometimes acquiring a skill or size or strength and then returning back to normal. i think it's pretty cheap and devalues the work that actual women put in to look or perform a certain way.

Apr 27, 2021 - edited Apr 27, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by BIGLUVfan
Apr 28, 2021 - edited Apr 28, 2021 - permalink

Reports of celebs that state they're showing off their INCREDIBLY toned abs, or legs, or arms and then the images show no muscle.

Female characters in cartoons getting muscled as a throwaway gimmick and they lose it all.

A muscled female but they're just a background character.

Some character visits a gym and there's only men lifting weights.

Girls and women who possess superhuman strength but aren't visibly muscled.

Muscled women being used for a joke now that fat jokes are off limits

Apr 28, 2021 - permalink

I want to insert an opposite cliche which I am tired of. Action hero girls who are like a stick, fighting big dudes and beating them. At least make them a little muscular so we can believe a little bit that she can beat strong thugs. That's what I liked about Carla Dune in the Mandalorian. She was some one you could say just by looking at her that she can kick ass

Apr 28, 2021 - permalink

I'm tired of the cliche in cartoons (simpsons, family guy, futurama etc) where the female encounters a problem, goes to a gym to relax, a guy approaches them, gives them roids, they grow huge overnight,they like the way they look and keep going, get angry, realize it's a problem because they have roid rage and then suddenly shrink back to normal overnight only to realize they could have solved their problem without running from them.

This sounds so specific, but it shows how tired that story is 😭

Apr 28, 2021 - permalink

I want to insert an opposite cliche which I am tired of. Action hero girls who are like a stick, fighting big dudes and beating them. At least make them a little muscular so we can believe a little bit that she can beat strong thugs. That's what I liked about Carla Dune in the Mandalorian. She was some one you could say just by looking at her that she can kick ass

Marvel and DC movies are still guilty of this. Though I wonder how buff Marvel will make She-Hulk.

Apr 28, 2021 - permalink

Muscled women being used for a joke now that fat jokes are off limits

Since muscle women are still considered “weird” by today’s social norms, I don’t mind poking fun at that. But I am tired of the same joke being “she looks like a dude!”

Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

Marvel and DC movies are still guilty of this. Though I wonder how buff Marvel will make She-Hulk.

Not getting my hopes up, unless her cgi is done by Ed McGinnis

Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

I agree 100%.The problem is there are no muscular actresses that can play a lead in a movie. If the actress becomes muscular, she won't get cast in any movies.

fp909
Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

Not getting my hopes up, unless her cgi is done by Ed McGinnis

What about Rob Liefield? 👀👀

Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

What about Rob Liefield? 👀👀

Man, you have me bad flashbacks of his take on Captain America. Woof it was bad.

fp909
Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

Mission accomplished :)

Apr 30, 2021 - permalink

Liefield's take on Cap's anatomy is certainly one that needs to be seen lmao

Apr 30, 2021 - permalink

Liefield's take on Cap's anatomy is certainly one that needs to be seen lmao

Liefieldian Cap has bigger implants than the girls on this site 🤭

Apr 30, 2021 - edited May 01, 2021 - permalink

In cartoon shows, a girl becoming a muscle mass represents it as a villain or she looses mental attitudes

Apr 30, 2021 - permalink

I agree 100%.The problem is there are no muscular actresses that can play a lead in a movie. If the actress becomes muscular, she won't get cast in any movies.

There are plenty of examples of guys getting bulked up for a movie role and then returning to normal size once filming is over. There's no reason a woman couldn't do the same.

fp909
Apr 30, 2021 - permalink

im 100% sure their agents and managers would dissuade them for image reasons. hollywood is a deeply stupid place and people here are gladly ok to suspend disbelief that Angelina Jolie could beat up ANYTHING than see a physical manifestation of strength in a woman.

Apr 30, 2021 - permalink

Mean and stupid. Why does the mainstream have a phobia about well-muscled women, and prefers to see them as villains or the butt of jokes? Maybe it's a manifestation of misogyne, or at least a distrust of strong women.

Apr 30, 2021 - permalink

im 100% sure their agents and managers would dissuade them for image reasons. hollywood is a deeply stupid place and people here are gladly ok to suspend disbelief that Angelina Jolie could beat up ANYTHING than see a physical manifestation of strength in a woman.

Hollywood has always had simplistic ideas about what works and what doesn't. All it takes is one popular buff lady character, and they'll be scrambling to have more.

Apr 30, 2021 - permalink

I've come to find there are, but they're lesser known and their muscles get them typecast. And since Hollywood probably thinks "buff women don't sell", these actresses aren't given a fair shake.

M76
May 01, 2021 - permalink

The biggest cliché is that muscle women don't sell. Hollywood will gaslight us and virtue signal all day about how they are for strong female leads, but in reality they are the most bigoted bunch imaginable. And don't even want to try strong independent female leads.

May 05, 2021 - edited May 05, 2021 - permalink

I have a sort of cliché out of my life. A friend of my wife once went with her to a sports course. The friend was really bad at sports. Afterwards she told, she really felt her muscles already growing (she meant it). She does not want to look wide like a cupboard. Therefor she does not participate anymore in that sports course. This is sort of super naive.

Another story, same naivety. I once had a girl friend. She thought, me and her, we could go out for a run so she would get fit. And afterwards she wanted to do situps. At some point she told be, she is afraid of getting too muscular. I smiled and repeated this would not happen ^^

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »