Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Upload rules FAQ

Chainer
Nov 04, 2018 - permalink
Some of the upload rules are subjective and up to interpretation, and I get lots of questions about them. These are:
  • No images where the focus is breasts or butt rather than muscles.
  • Women in uploaded pictures must show visible muscularity.
  • No pictures of women with overly masculine facial features or other obvious signs of steroid abuse. Facial beauty and femininity matter.
  • No contest pictures or pictures with contest tans.

Why do these rules exist?

Each of these rules represents a category of images that's acceptable in small quantities, but bad for the site in large amounts. On the one hand, the site is about muscular women. Occasional pictures of women who are just fit rather than muscular are fine, but if they were to take over the site, the site would lose its focus and would turn into a more mainstream "fit girls" page. On the other hand, occasional pictures of large female bodybuilders are one thing, but if they were to become disproportionately popular, it would alienate a large portion of the user base who aren't into that. Contest pictures are similar. In moderation, a few contest pictures of a particular model might help show off her muscular definition. In excess, it would turn off visitors who aren't into the dehydrated, fake-tanned look.

Having these rules allows me to keep these categories in check, which often includes deleting images that fall to one of these extremes.

How are these rules enforced?

Let's consider a case where you upload a picture of woman who's fit but not muscular and it gets deleted. Then you make a post: "How come my image got deleted while there are pictures of even less muscular women on the site?"

I think what some uploaders expect is that there's some single line that can be drawn between not enough muscularity vs just enough, and that all images that fall short of this line will be deleted and all of the ones that meet the bar will be kept.

From a moderation standpoint, this is impossible. There are a ton of qualities that go into judging whether a picture should be kept, including: image quality, lighting, and the particular pose and how well it highlights muscles, just to name a few. This makes it so it's really hard to judge any particular picture against another. If all pictures had models making the exact same pose then sure, maybe it could be done, but as it is it's more complicated. Also consider that I often just scan through the thumbnails which means that I spend just a fraction of a second looking at each one, so there's no way I can make completely thorough decisions in that time frame. It's likely that there's pictures that I just miss altogether.

Another angle to consider here is that I'm in a position where I have to carefully balance the ratio of not very muscular fitness women to very muscular bodybuilders. For every post like yours there's an equal and opposite thread like this of people complaining about the women in the pictures not showing enough muscle. The end result of this is that if I've just seen a bunch of pictures of fitness women while scanning through the recent uploads, or perhaps in the "high score" section on the front page, I'm more likely to delete borderline cases as a way of evening things out. Same goes for pictures of bodybuilders.

This also generalizes to contest pictures. I might keep a contest-tan image if something makes it special, for example there are several women in the picture and it also serves as a body comparison. Otherwise I might delete it.

In general: Try to model the moderation process like this: The more extreme a picture is in terms of violating one or more of the aforementioned upload rules, the more likely it is to be deleted. It's not a matter of any one particular line that is crossed.

Also: The more pictures a model has on the site, the less of a reason we need to delete new uploads of that model. If the person already has hundreds or thousands of pics on the site, chances are that additional pics aren't adding a whole lot to the site. As a result, if a picture falls into the above categories even a little bit, it's likely to be deleted because there's no reason to keep mediocre pics of a model when there are already dozens of better ones.  On the other hand, if your uploads feature people who have only a small number of pictures on the site, the bar for deletion is somewhat higher.
Jul 06, 2023 - permalink

Is there a size limit on videos? Could i upload a full video of an hour and a half (700mb)? What if its rare and discontinued? Asking because i couldnt find any mention in the rules and i dont want to be disrespectful. Thanks!

cgsweat
Jul 06, 2023 - permalink

The size limit on videos is 25 MB.

Jul 06, 2023 - permalink

Is the server approaching max capacity?

cgsweat
Jul 06, 2023 - permalink

No.

Jul 07, 2023 - permalink

In that case are file host links permitted? or would that bring too many problems? Thanks and sorry for the hassle.

Chainer
Jul 07, 2023 - permalink

What kind of video are we talking about here? Is it something from social media that doesn't fit within the 25MB limit?

Jul 07, 2023 - permalink

What kind of video are we talking about here? Is it something from social media that doesn't fit within the 25MB limit?

Its an old low res video of Denise Hoshor in her prime posing in Hawaii thats kind of rare and hard to find (dead production company "Bulletvid" - not sold anywhere) that a couple of people in the forum here were asking for. 766mb, 1hr 24m 720x480. Its not on youtube and i wanted to share it with fellow fans. I would have uploaded it to youtube myself, but i got discouraged from that after they banned my account well over a decade ago. I got the file long ago from either saradas.org or on a p2p app, but either of those options might be difficult and undesirable to some. Such vids are hard to find if they arent on youtube. I only asked because i couldnt find any size restriction in the rules, but now that its been clarified i wont insist.

Jan 11, 2024 - permalink

"Contest pictures or pictures with contest tans." why is this even in the rules if there's thousands of contest photos/videos on this site with contest tans

cgsweat
Jan 11, 2024 - permalink

"Contest pictures or pictures with contest tans." why is this even in the rules if there's thousands of contest photos/videos on this site with contest tans

https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/forum/thread/...

Jan 12, 2024 - permalink

It's too inconsistent. There are dozens of posts of Andrea Shaw from the Olympia that could be considered same-y and where it's obvious she has a tan. Same with Natalia Kovaleva.

I just had a video of Desuka Dawson backstage that was taken down for that reason. If that's the case, why is this one still up?

Jan 12, 2024 - permalink

If Contest Tan pics are allowed on the main page, I still fail to understand the purpose of these two threads below. I thought they were gonna solve precisely that problem, allowing us to post recent competition pics without flooding the main page.

Chainer
Jan 12, 2024 - permalink

It's too inconsistent. There are dozens of posts of Andrea Shaw from the Olympia that could be considered same-y and where it's obvious she has a tan. Same with Natalia Kovaleva.

I just had a video of Desuka Dawson backstage that was taken down for that reason. If that's the case, why is this one still up?

Copy-pasting here what I replied to you in PMs: It's discouraged, not forbidden. This basically means our bar for deleting it is much lower than it would be otherwise. In the case of your upload, it's quite low quality (blurry) and there is already plenty of contest tan material of her, so the deletion looks justified to me.

I specifically want to address this:

This logic does not apply. It is not the case that we must either keep both or neither. In fact, we can keep one, and then delete the other BECAUSE we kept the first one.

If Contest Tan pics are allowed on the main page, I still fail to understand the purpose of these two threads below.

They are not allowed on the main page. They are discouraged.

Think of traffic lights. Some of the upload rules are a hard NO - red light. For example, graphic nudity. But you seem to think that since contest tans are not red light, they must be GREEN LIGHT! Completely allowed. Whereas really they're more like yellow light. Under some circumstances you can go through it but if you floor it just so you can make it through on purpose you might still get pulled over.

When you upload those pics to the main site, you are implicitly accepting that they have a higher than normal chance of being deleted. Given the above posts complaining about this, this seems to be giving you some difficulty. Those threads solve this problem for you, since there the pictures won't get deleted for simply being contest (tan) pics.

Jan 12, 2024 - permalink

Like I said in the other forum, being specific about the criteria would help with this.

The low quality issue I can understand (even though one of the most recent and popular videos on the site right now is this extremely pixelated video).

But that wasn't the rule that was cited when I received the notification. I was told it was because it was a contest pic. Also, if the argument is that there is enough contest tan material of Desuka, then what is "enough"? Because there are plenty of photos and videos featuring Andrea Shaw at the Olympia and Wings of Strength, onstage and backstage.

Again, my issue is specificity and consistency. If contest pics and contest tans are discouraged, what criteria should users keep in mind when uploading those kinds of material?

Because as it stands, even with the analogy you gave, it just seems like it's enforced on a whim. Giving a clear criteria would help users decide what's worth posting on the main site and what's worth sharing on the thread.

Although, I agree with oriander that the thread seems unnecessary if contest photos and videos can still be uploaded to the main site, even if discouraged.

Jan 15, 2024 - permalink

They just deleted 4 photos of Galina Titova that I uploaded. They can't be serious. The reason you give is ridiculous.

Chainer
Jan 15, 2024 - permalink

Please make a case that "the focus of this picture is her ass" is NOT a reasonable statement to make.

This should be good...

Jan 15, 2024 - permalink

Excuse me, your holiness, but aren't the glutes and quadriceps muscles?

Chainer
Jan 15, 2024 - permalink

Does that particular upload rule make any claim about that?

Jan 15, 2024 - permalink

Men write the rules. They are not always wise. But even the fairest law can become ridiculous when applied without criteria.

Jan 15, 2024 - permalink

Please make a case that "the focus of this picture is her ass" is NOT a reasonable statement to make.

This should be good...

Exactly. It should be "their asses". On a more serious note, one can argue their calves are quite toned, but then...it's a grey area.

Jan 16, 2024 - permalink

"there are dozens of posts of Andrea Shaw.....where it's obvious she has a tan..."

Well, duh SMH. She is African-American. What were you expecting?

Mar 08, 2024 - permalink

I think all pictures and videos should be required to have the name of the woman posted underneath their image.There are too many unnamed images on this site.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »