Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Question for social media users

Chainer
Apr 06, 2024 - permalink

How much info does Instagram/Tiktok tell you about the traffic coming to your page, most notably where it is originating from?

Thinking about this in the context of adding direct links to social media profiles from models' GWM pages.

Apr 06, 2024 - permalink

when i had an Instagram account it told me nothing. i got a bunch of random followers one day despite me not posting anything including. a Russian fbb but i have no idea why i normally got no followers at all just a bunch one day and then nothing for a year until i got banned .the only platform i used that told me were the viewers are from was youtube .but they didn't mention the site only that it was from a link that isn't from a search engine or YouTube itself .but there are few fbbs on youtube anyway and deviant art shows you the country where the followers are from but i don't think any fbb uses that .

Apr 08, 2024 - edited Apr 08, 2024 - permalink

Basic free Instagram accounts tell you nothing, the paid for version has what they call insights but as far as I can tell that only gives you more stats about other Instagram accounts that interact with you.

This question has come up before , other than making them plain text for forced copy and paste, I suspect there would be some code that hides the origin of a link so visitor stats from here would not reveal the original url if it ends up via Stacounter or Google analytics' , for example on external websites etc. or use a third party redirector such as https://anonym.to/

fp909
Apr 09, 2024 - permalink

Basic free Instagram accounts tell you nothing, the paid for version has what they call insights but as far as I can tell that only gives you more stats about other Instagram accounts that interact with you.

This question has come up before , other than making them plain text for forced copy and paste, I suspect there would be some code that hides the origin of a link so visitor stats from here would not reveal the original url if it ends up via Stacounter or Google analytics' , for example on external websites etc. or use a third party redirector such as https://anonym.to/

yeah i would assume you have to be running your account as a business or whatever tag. I haven't looked into it but even as a "public figure" tag you probably get access to some stats.

https://help.instagram.com/1533933820244654

ok so you do have to have a business or creator account--idk if you can shift this once its made but i'm assuming a lot of women in the space (especially the younger ones) will make this switch because many of them are trying to port users over from tiktok and generally they're tracking impressions.

ive never been under the hood there. maybe someone like ariel may be abel to tell you. i'll ask around too

tamarok
Apr 09, 2024 - edited Apr 09, 2024 - permalink

If a model has a a LinkTree, or equivalent, that might be a better intermediate? See:

https://linktr.ee/blog/how-to-use-your-linktr...

One thing to note is this Reddit comment which may disuade some people from using such as service, even if they do get the stats:

If you have a website you can create your own links page. Linktree and the like reduces traffic to your own website, which is problematic if you're trying to monetize it or track your visits.

I went viral a couple of times last year and got 10,000 hits to my link tree. My website maybe got 10% of those linktree hits. All of that could have been traffic to my website, but I didn't know better.

fp909
Apr 09, 2024 - permalink

i mean it makes sense. no one goes to websites as often as theyd use an app

i dont go to sites too much anymore. in fact, my training app moved from a site to an app which is easier to follow and organize, and you can input info. the old site was NOT optimized for mobile and it was a pain to look.

most people's sites just wind up being link pages to whatever they're doing.

Apr 09, 2024 - permalink

i mean it makes sense. no one goes to websites as often as theyd use an app

Speak for yourself. I'm on Desktop versions where available eg Instagram and twitter, , most time spent with the big screen on PC on other sites.

fp909
Apr 09, 2024 - permalink

Speak for yourself. I'm on Desktop versions where available eg Instagram and twitter, , most time spent with the big screen on PC on other sites.

sure, but kids are not, kids, teens, young 20s. most are on apps. theyre aging int he spending group which is why any of them are doing anything, or looking to generate views. im old enough that im still using sites when i can

Apr 10, 2024 - permalink

People usually don't go to those sites because there is often nothing on there. like I used to be hyped when I found out my favorite fbb had a site. but usually there is nothing on there apart from a handful of pics. it could be nice in theory since you don't have to worry about censorship. but it's way more complicated to have your own site compared to just having an Instagram or Twitter account. especially if you want to have a lot of content it will cost money.

I personally prefer to use sites even on mobile but some are outdated and look awkward on mobile. But this one is great. and the bigger sites try to force you to use the app. but often the app uses too much storage and doesn't do anything you can't with the browser. and it doesn't work without internet anyway. and most importantly you can use adblock on the browser. seems like a lot of people are really dumb and think it's strange that I do this. but they use adblock on pc.

fp909
Apr 10, 2024 - permalink

SOMETIMES its just a sign up for training. thats basically that they're hoping anecdotally i'll usually click on the linktree or whoever is hosting and see 4-5 discount codes, venmo, cashapp paypal, socials, maybe a site

its the last thing i'm looking for really, esepcailyl if they have payment tools there. either they're looking for business or money

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »