Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

The end of an era. R.I.P. Diana the Valkyrie and its webmaster after 27 years in operation

May 18, 2024 - permalink

That is good news. The Web archive version will not work on my tablet.

May 19, 2024 - edited 2 days ago - permalink

--The Diana the Valkyrie Library (Stories) Archive--

Finally finished putting this together! This final version has over 36,000 files in the main stories folder, compared to 32,000 in my previous compilation, and includes a lot of images and stories that were missing before. Thousands more of the existing story files were also fixed compared to that one; I went back to the pre-2011 captures when available, since that seems to be when the text corruption issues first started (basically anything other than plain letters, like the accented é in "fiancé", or even some quotation marks and apostrophes, stood a good chance of coming out as blank or random characters in later captures). I also ran a bunch of find-and-replace regex commands to fix the HTML files so that they would point to the available images and library pages when viewed locally, rather than linking to the non-existent web domain or to Internet Archive addresses. It's pretty nice to see most of the links and pictures working again and being able to click around the interlinked library and news pages. I tried to use the most recent version of the author's bookshelf index pages, but not all of those had the latest version available and might not show all the stories, so I'd still recommend looking at the raw author folders for any you like. Being the later versions, some of the index pages display more corrupted characters compared to the actual story files, but I figured listing the later stories was more important than looking pretty (especially noticable for some of the foreign language bookshelves).

I was even able get most of the pages for the collaborative Interactive Story working locally offline, which added another 2700 files (but which was only about 10MB in total size, so I saw no problem throwing it in).

I'm sure there's various minor issues remaining here and there, and there are a number of stories and illustrations that weren't available, but for the most part I think this is about as good as it's going to get from the Internet Archive. Any major additions of missing stuff would likely have to come from private collections or things uploaded elsewhere (the current collection already includes some things I was able to restore from my own collection, the DC++ hub, or places like JimP's wordpress blog.

Here's a bunch of direct download links (the password for the .zip is "dianathevalkyrie"):

https://mega.nz/file/DNNCSBZQ#zP47aQwMVEbDlx-...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/elng0p5bf0ajaa...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xb_14pkytHYg...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/kmhodih76bypwy...

https://uploadnow.io/f/cx4R7ff

https://fastupload.io/37b8c2e1bac93bd3

https://depositfiles.com/files/3v3vqkh3s

It's also available on the DC++ Hub as both a .zip and a folder called "DianaTheValkyrie Library (thevalkyrie.com stories) updated", which a couple people already downloaded while I was getting the other hosting ready, so it should stay available.

If any of these download links get taken down by fake DMCA requests, I'm planning on renewing them to ensure whoever's doing it is just wasting their time (I didn't bother before, since I was still working on the final version).

Usage is pretty simple: extract the .zip first, because you don't want to be working out of a temp folder that could disappear later. The "library.html" file is the main page, just open it in a web browser and most of the links for other pages within the Library section should work locally. The files for the individual authors and miscellaneous bookshelves are in their own folders under the \stories\ subfolder, which again you may want to look at directly in case there are any not listed on the index pages. A lot of the bookshelf folders have both index.htm and index.html files available for their contents pages, usually duplicates but in some cases one is more recent and shows more of the stories. The interactive story is linked from the main page, but if you want to go to it directly it's \clubhouse\story\index.html. There are a lot of illustrated stories, some under the \stories\html\ subfolder, some in the individual author folders, and generally the images for them are in the same folder as the html file for the story. I also recovered the "links" catalog, it's linked to in some of the Library newsletter pages and such, but to open it directly it's \clubhouse\links\links.html.

May 20, 2024 - edited May 20, 2024 - permalink

Some of the download links above were hit with fake DMCA claims earlier today, and have now been replaced by working ones. In the future I probably won't announce that, just silently swap them out to ensure they stay working.

fp909
May 20, 2024 - permalink

some fucking snitches lurking around here

May 26, 2024 - edited May 27, 2024 by chipperpip - permalink

--The Diana the Valkyrie Library (Stories) Archive--

[Mod Edit: Truncated the rest]

Most of the folders are empty inside upon extracting the archive ?? I downloaded woth the meganz link

Only DianaTheValkyrie Library (thevalkyrie. com stories) updated folder has files

May 26, 2024 - permalink

> Just a heads up, Amy's Conquest is back up and fully running again at the old URL.

Ah, that's good news! Was everything able to be restored in terms of the old comics?

On a side note, for anyone wondering about the DianaTheValkyrie stories archive, I'm actually done compiling it (it's much more complete now), I'm just doing some fixes on the HTML files to be able to click through the pages locally before uploading it.

Yes, we were fortunate enough to take a full backup of all the media and descriptions on the site right before Diana's old server shut down.

The login system is brand new, so people need do register again, and the membership system is new as well so members need to sign up again and pay to gain access again.

As far as the database, we have data entry people entering the media into our new Searchable database as we speak, and they are almost done with all of them!

Excited to be able to help Dan get back online again!

May 26, 2024 - edited May 27, 2024 - permalink

Most of the folders are empty inside upon extracting the archive ?? I downloaded woth the meganz link

Only DianaTheValkyrie Library (thevalkyrie. com stories) updated folder has files

That's the only folder inside it at the top level, I don't know what you're referring to by "empty folders". Everything else I mentioned is a subfolder of that one. I thought that was pretty obvious from putting a backslash at the front of them like \stories\, but I can reword it a little to make it more explicit.

The whole thing should have a total of exactly 39,905 files and 3,684 folders in it, and be about 1.13GB in size after extraction. I just redownloaded it myself to check, the .zip is fine. Make sure you're copying out the whole "DianaTheValkyrie Library (thevalkyrie.com stories) updated" folder to the location you want it (opening the .zip, right-clicking the folder inside it and picking "Copy", and then right-clicking your desktop or wherever you want to put it and clicking "Paste" is the safest way), and not trying to extract all the files in a flat structure or something.

« first < prev Page 7 of 7 next > last »