Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Arnold vs Olympia: female competitors still posting anti-Arnold stories

Mar 14, 2024 - permalink

The Arnold is huge. It's the thing. The Olympia is huge. It's also THE thing. Years ago, there was significant beef between Olympia stans and Arnold stans over prestige, especially when both had the greatest male competitors in the world, but the Olympia Expo was virtually nothing. Also, the Weiders told Arnold the prize money for his show could NOT be bigger than the Mr. Olympia purse. As an end-around, the Arnold's CASH prizes were kept below Olympia levels, but Arnold gave out other prizes on top, like a new Hummer.

I understand wanting to lash out at the system you feel has relegated you to second-tier status because it's disrespectful and feels like erasure, but when we look at the long game, the moves the Arnold has made over decades has significantly increased the size of the total economy ALL people in the industry - male, female, competitors, coaches, product merchants, etc - get to enjoy today.

I think the competitors are doing a terrific job of raising awareness, but I think it's also fair and reasonable to look at the current state of affairs within an historical context. Encouraging women competitors to continue supporting the Arnold Sports Festival while also advocating for inclusion is a valid approach to effecting change within the organization.

They should seek to dialogue with the principals and focus on the importance of inclusion within the event, highlighting the value that women's divisions bring to the Festival.

In the meantime, Wings of Strength has been a prominent advocate for women's bodybuilding, consistently offering opportunities for female athletes to compete and excel in their sport. I hope and expect to see their events PACKED with competitors and fans this year, which will serve as an even bigger signal to the decision-makers that women's events are always worthy of being a part of the show.

Mar 14, 2024 - permalink

I was at the Olympia seminar in 23 and they made a big announcement that the reason why the Arnold cut FBB, EP and figure out of their show was due to them not making money and we all know that's BS. Especially when the last time the Arnold had those divisions, there were MORE female athletes than males plus the crowd size for those female categories.

Also after night 1 of the Olympia after the females are done competing, they have the men do their prejudging routines and more than half of the audience is gone by then.

Arnold is just out of touch.

Mar 14, 2024 - permalink

Arnold only cares about revenue and the majority of it comes from the expo. My guess is that within the next 5 years there will be no bodybuilding show attached to it at all. If there is, it will be an NPC show only so there won't be a need for prize money.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »