Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

MBB's in pop culture (very general question)

Mar 10, 2024 - permalink

Apart from obvious things like "Peplum" movies and Conan and so on, male bodybuilders have always been a part of entertainment, but just like FBB's, they've ended up in very stereotyped roles a lot of the time. They're henchmen in adventure stories and bullies in non-violent ones, or at least comical "dumb jocks." Or some mixture. But I'm always interested in exceptions to those rules.

One good example is an odd comedy called DON'T MAKE WAVES. It has Tony Curtis as the lead male character, and Sharon Tate and Dave Draper as a couple that he's determined to break up with a big scheme, and does for a while. And without being dumb, Draper's character is a "gentle giant" who's also naive enough to let it happen. And a lot of other comedies would be okay with that - they'd just have the "normal" character come between the hot girl and the "dumb jock" bodybuilder. But this one doesn't look at it that way.

Anyway, it's a very general question, but what are some other movies and shows and so on that picture MBB's in a pretty good light?

Mar 10, 2024 - permalink

Arnold Schwarzenegger played in a lot of movies were he wasn't just a fighter .

Mar 10, 2024 - permalink

Arnold Schwarzenegger played in a lot of movies were he wasn't just a fighter .

Ahhnold is a very funny man, in addition to his heroic strength.

Mar 10, 2024 - edited Mar 10, 2024 - permalink

^ yup like, Junior, Twins, Jingle all the way, True Lies (just to name a few) "The bridge is out!".

Mar 11, 2024 - permalink

I don't know it at all, but evidently in the movie STAY HUNGRY he plays a sympathetic part, and that's a very early role.

Mar 11, 2024 - permalink

Alan Ritchson, the star of the Reacher TV series (based on the Lee Child books). He may not be a competitive BB but he looks like one. And he plays a good guy.

Mar 11, 2024 - permalink

I'm not sure you've seen a lot of movies since the time of Tony Curtis and such, but outside of Arnold, you also have Dwayne Johnson, John Cena, of course Arnold, Sylvester Stallone... honestly there are a LOT of very muscular guys who have played a decently wide range of roles,

Their physique is often a focal point of their character... but if you're going to have way bigger muscles than most people.. your physique is going to be a defining part of you.

When it comes to women though, I do think you have a very valid point. Muscular women are pretty much always cast as a brute, a bully, a sexual foil, or a joke.

Mar 11, 2024 - permalink

Muscular women are so rare her muscles would be addressed in the story. like no disrespect to these men. but I see guy's on par with the rock all the time at the pool. but never a woman with even a minor amount of muscle.

Mar 11, 2024 - permalink

Let's not forget Dave Bautista who seems to have a range of roles as well.

Mar 13, 2024 - permalink

I'm not sure you've seen a lot of movies since the time of Tony Curtis and such, but outside of Arnold, you also have Dwayne Johnson, John Cena, of course Arnold, Sylvester Stallone... honestly there are a LOT of very muscular guys who have played a decently wide range of roles,

Their physique is often a focal point of their character... but if you're going to have way bigger muscles than most people.. your physique is going to be a defining part of you.

When it comes to women though, I do think you have a very valid point. Muscular women are pretty much always cast as a brute, a bully, a sexual foil, or a joke.

Yes, it's still lopsided for FBBs. I'm sure there are several other exceptions, but one of the best ones is Joanie Laurer on 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »