Forum > Off Topic > Thread

Rene Decartes, Discourse On Method (cont.)

Oct 03, 2023 - permalink

Mods, since this is unrelated to female muscle, "Subcommunities" seemed like the best place to put this. If I got it wrong, kindly move this thread to the appropriate section of the forum as you see fit.

This is a continuation of a tangent from another thread. I've carried over the relevant tangent posts from the other thread below. Please keep any further discussion regarding Rene Decartes here in this thread.

phenoms:

zarklephaser4: Quoting Descartes, "she beats me, therefore I am".

It's widely held that Descartes wrote the entire section containing "I think, therefore I am" to appease the church. The actual quote paraphrased for context would be effectively "I think, therefore don't execute me for heresy".

phenoms:

zarklephaser4: I wonder what is it then he really believed? What would have he said if he could have spoken freely? That he does not think and therefore he is not?

Decartes was a "thinker" extraordinaire.

My personal take was that Decartes was either agnostic or athiest. Probably athiest. The only way to answer your question is to recommend that you read his Discourse On Method from cover to cover. Take your time, it's the longest of short reads. Immense philosophical density. While he has many mentions of "God", in context, it doesn't fit. His appeasement of the church was clever. He gave them bits to cherry pick what they wanted to hear, but an objective reader can discern his true thinking. Most of what he wrote were his "true beliefs" as you phrased it. Where he strays or contradicts himself is where the appeasement is. It's not straight forward. He didn't have the luxury of that.

The original was written in Decartes' native language of French (for his period). I read an English translation that was popular in colleges: Rene Decartes, Discourse On Method, Third Edition, translation by Donald A. Cress.

I found the Cress Fourth Edition available on Archive.org. It requires a (free) login to read the full text: https://archive.org/details/discourseonmetho0...

Alternatively, the Free Library at Project Gutenberg has a different translation (I'm not familiar with) which doesn't require any login to read in full: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59/59-h/59-h.htm

You might read it and reach a different conclusion than I did. But my understanding is that my conclusion is consistent with that of the scholars that study it closer than you or I ever will.

phenoms:

Colinscrod: Not to get waaay off track, but it’s common knowledge among even first year philosophy students that EVERYTHING Descartes came to after Cogito Ergo Sum — like his “proof” that God exists and a loving God wouldn’t lie to us about the world existing—was cheating and tortured logic. As you say, probably to appease the Church.

I'm saying that most of the entire section before and after Cogito Ergo Sum were appeasement, as were small mentions of "God" sprinkled throughout. He built two cases: His true premise, and his appeasement. The Church heard it's requisite dog whistles, and Decartes got to live to the ripe old age of 53 and died of pneumonia. That Cogito Ergo Sum is so often misquoted is a fluke. It wasn't some great finish. It's just another line buried in the middle of his primary appeasement.

Oct 04, 2023 - permalink

Well. My only intention was to make a point about masochism. A person with an unstable sense of self will seek to anchor it to another person by any means possible, and someone's desire to hurt or dominate might be most easily available or the most familiar option. This is why abusive relationships are so stable, because the target or the victim derives a sense of self from the abuse. The reason why it's so difficult to leave an abusive relationship is this loss of self, more than loss of love, money or convenience.

I did not mean at all to touch upon what Descartes really said or believed. It was just a joke. Of course I am not trying to stop anyone else from having this discussion. But I personally find hard to see him as relevant for simply being a name in history. In the worst case he didn't say anything meaningful or believe in anything workable or coherent. To me the very fact that he was an atheist or that he tried to cover it up makes this no different.

Oct 04, 2023 - permalink

zarklephaser4:

Well. My only intention was to make a point about masochism.

You may not have expected your joke to go off in this direction, but in the end, it elicited a very good response. Well said.

zarklephaser4:

I did not mean at all to touch upon what Descartes really said or believed. It was just a joke.

Yes, I understood your joke. Regardless, I made an aside comment that became a larger tangent.

If you're going to misquote Descartes, which is the norm, you risk someone snidely raising their index finger and interrupting with "Actually!! ...". That person is me. Lol

zarklephaser4:

In the worst case he didn't say anything meaningful or believe in anything workable or coherent.

The majority of 5/6th's (~83%) of Decartes' Discourse On Method is one of the all time, most celebrated and revered works of philosophy. I'd say that qualifies as "meaningful", "workable", and "coherent".

Apr 05, 2024 - permalink

Don’t have much to engage with on this topic yet, other than inserting some facts to correct what appeared to be some ongoing misconceptions.

Descartes was not an atheist, much of his fundamental work addressed questions about the context of humans, their imperfections, relationships to nature and perfection, and the concept of a perfect God.

Also, Descartes was quite an influential mathematician, and his exploration of ideas was crucial to the dissemination and development of Cartesian geometry in western academe.

Apr 06, 2024 - permalink

The basic idea that I've got is that in Aristotle's thinking and medieval theology, God or gods or uncreated ideas were the highest reality that brought forth the material world. Then human mind or psyche abstracts from the material world, these abstractions being in order lower than it, but is able to grasp God or gods or ideas through this process. This is why it was held that art was by default less real than the physical reality it depicted.

Then somehow early modern thinkers flipped it so that now God or gods or ideas were directly present in psyche or mind, which in turn became inserted between the uncreated and matter. Now you did not need to go through a separate step of elevating the mind, which itself was held to be part of the material world, to contemplate the uncreated. The mind or psyche was already there, by this new definition, participating in the uncreated or ideas or divine or whatever.

Another possibility is that what has here been called "appeasement" was an attempt to create confusion for the sake of it.

Is there any short summary, maybe five printed pages long, on what Descartes actually said and believed?

Apr 06, 2024 - edited Apr 06, 2024 - permalink

In all seriousness, given your past exploratory writings, I truly thought you would be familiar with this topic.

As a general recommendation, do look into epistemology.

Descartes certainly believed that one’s own senses could not always be trusted to determine what is real or rational. In the process of attempting to discover fundamental truth, he concluded his perception that he exists must be true, because he is capable of thinking so.

As for your Descartes request, voila: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesianism

Apr 07, 2024 - edited Apr 07, 2024 - permalink

I think it's highly unlikely Descartes was an atheist. His entire philosophy is based on the existence of the ego (cogito ergo sum) and the subsequent ontological proof of God. Saying that the ontological argument was just an appeasement is very cynical unless in some letter or some note he says something very explicit.

Discussion on the nature of God was of course a subject open to argument, so if he doesn't make mention of God as often as other scholars of the time, this would imply he believes in a God that is less involved in the day to day working of the cosmos. Saying that God created the universe and the laws of nature (deism as opposed to theism) is different yet not that far from what many theologians believe, even though they may call such a belief heresy. I think calling Descartes a Deist, who had a unique conception on the nature of God, is more appropriate, especially because very few if any intellectuals of the time doubted the existence of God. People, even revolutionary philosophers, don't generally stray so far from the believes of their time. If they do, there should be ample evidence for this. If there is no good evidence, you shouldn't jump to a conclusion that fast.

Apr 07, 2024 - permalink

As for your Descartes request, voila: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesianism

This actually looks like what I've believed about his thought for years now. The reason I seem confused is because from what phenoms says about the Discourse I get the idea that there is something deeper or different. For example that Descartes secretly was an atheist and a materialist who only talked about God to fool the Church.

This assumes that the Church is dumb enough to fall for any confusing talk about God, though it is obvious from literature and history that they had quite detailed understanding of what they believed and why. Only take a look at Summa or any catechism of that time. To an atheist any talk of God may be like any other talk of God and he may easily project this by mistake. The alternative then is that Descartes actually believed in his dogwhistling, which did not fool anyone but for some reason neither merited any definitive action. At least I fail to see a third possibility.

Actually I do see one. Descartes was working for or even related to the ruling secular powers of his time, and his supposed thought was intended to be no more than a propaganda weapon. He did not go from one rich and famous person to another rich and famous person because they thought he was so smart, but because he was related to them. And useful too. Also the conclusion of his thought, that somewhat resembles a generic Gnosticism, is that God is some kind of spark within human psyche, and is potentially within every man, rich and poor, despite their choices and actions. It practically means secularism, where money and political power, which is what his friends and relatives had, gets to rise to the top.

Oh my goodness! I had no idea that such high-brow discussions occured on this website. Who would have guessed that Ontological Arguments would arise amongst a bevy of beautiful and muscular women?

As I live and as the days pass, I learn something new almost every moment.

Apr 07, 2024 - permalink

as far as ontological discussions go, i was always a Berkeley guy myself

as far as ontological discussions go, i was always a Berkeley guy myself

Oh! Of course! So am I. The sad thing being, none of us wear periwigs...a certain style is lacking.

Apr 08, 2024 - permalink

Oh my goodness! I had no idea that such high-brow discussions occured on this website.

would you expect anything less? the greatest minds assemble here and they have excellent taste in females i might add

Apr 08, 2024 - permalink

would you expect anything less? the greatest minds assemble here and they have excellent taste in females i might add

Hahaha! You have made a very good point Thatguy888!

Apr 08, 2024 - permalink

Being a mathematician in my daily life, seeing Descartes show up on GWM has me disjointed....

"WORLDS COLLIDING JERRY!!! WORLDS COLLIDING!!"

Apr 08, 2024 - permalink

I always liked David Hume's response to Descartes. Where is this 'I'. To say 'I' is already a huge leap of faith. All you can really say is that there is thinking going on. At least I think it was David Hume, I'm a bit rusty these days... 🤔

Apr 08, 2024 - permalink
Deleted by GirlUpAMRAP
Apr 08, 2024 - permalink

Being a mathematician in my daily life, seeing Descartes show up on GWM has me disjointed....

"WORLDS COLLIDING JERRY!!! WORLDS COLLIDING!!"

You are not alone Dc3rd!

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »