Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Training the day after competing?

Sep 25, 2023 - permalink

I have just read something concerning on MuscleGeisha's OF about participating in a group workout the day after the Rising Phoenix.

I'm speaking as a private member of the public who has been a bodybuilding fan since the 1980s.

As much as I love events and conversations that are interesting to the fans and competitors, I am concerned about bodybuilders working out the day after competing. I know a high percentage do, even if it's "just" cardio, but despite a wonderful post-show meal, the body is still in a weakened, depleted state.

I know the women are adult professionals who make their own decisions and who have private coaching staffs to provide counsel on these matters. I know their bodies are stronger and capable of things average humans are not. But I wonder whether a different type of gathering might not be just as interesting with a much lower risk profile. My initial feeling may be much ado about nothing, but Angela did state in her post that her coach is apprehensive regarding her participation.

Sep 25, 2023 - permalink

These women are tough as nails and some how get great pleasure from working out.

Sep 25, 2023 - permalink

Competitive bodybuilding tends to attract people who have severe body image issues. Not all, but an incredibly and alarmingly large number of people compete suffer from issues such as body dysmorphia and are prone to taking it to levels that legitimately constitute self harm. It's a sad fact of the industry.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »