Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

An unsurprising finding.

Exe
Sep 18, 2023 - edited Sep 18, 2023 - permalink

I'm sure this will be unsurprising to the denizens of GWM:

"...The researchers conducted this study to investigate how upper body size, specifically the shoulder-to-hip ratio, affects the neurophysiological and behavioral responses related to perception and attractiveness in both male and female body figures. Men and women tend to find individuals with larger upper bodies more attractive due to associations with masculinity, immune system strength, and other qualities... "

https://www.psypost.org/2023/09/mens-shoulder...

At least it's a confirmation of why it isn't strange to admire the women we do here on GWM. However, I suppose everyone has a limit. Of the women displayed on GWM, which ones do you find most attractive?

Sep 18, 2023 - permalink

That is very interesting Exe. Thank-you for this post.

Sep 18, 2023 - permalink

Great read gonna share this with some friends thanks!

Sep 18, 2023 - permalink

Of the women displayed on GWM, which ones do you find most attractive?

That is a very tough question. Frankly, they are all beautiful to me and a supreme favourite or group of faves is not something I can put my finger on.

Sep 18, 2023 - permalink

Yea stronger is just better

Sep 18, 2023 - permalink

No one - and I really mean no one - in the developed world is thinking about the strength of someone's immune system when evaluating their attractiveness.

Sep 18, 2023 - permalink

No one - and I really mean no one - in the developed world is thinking about the strength of someone's immune system when evaluating their attractiveness.

their subconscious is the one doing the thinking

Sep 19, 2023 - edited Sep 19, 2023 - permalink

their subconscious is the one doing the thinking

Except for those who do not believe in the existence of the entire immune system. People tend to find individuals with larger upper bodies more attractive. That's the scientific part. The way they rationalize that attraction is in the domain of psychology and sociology.

Here also attractiveness may well mean a perception that the person is higher in social hierarchies, instead of desirability as a partner. Or in other words, "is desirable" versus "I desire".

Then finally, reading through the article I noticed that the biological response was only significant for evaluating male bodies. With females it was limited to voluntary self-reporting. So this fetish is not biologically selected for. Something I've been saying again and again.

At least it's a confirmation of why it isn't strange to admire the women we do here on GWM.

Except that it isn't. Just keep admiring, but stop pretending that the science will ever be there to support it. No amount of new research will change what is already known and should be obvious at this point. This is material for boyswithmuscle dot com, if anything.

(Added later:)

Also, forgot to say that subconscious does not think. It literally does not think at all, as in terms of cause and effect or two premises leading to a conclusion. It simply associates some things with each other. In this case that desirable men, and I repeat that, men, men, men are muscular and therefore have wide shoulders. People consciously, not subconsciously think that narrow waist on a woman is attractive.

Problem with articles like this is that people who actually don't know what things like subconscious are, think they can shove it anywhere they want and immediately have powerful scientific proof for something.

cgsweat
Sep 19, 2023 - permalink

Was this article generated by AI? I've never seen more than one paragraph in the same article begin with "In the oddball task..."

Sep 19, 2023 - permalink

Psychologists here. This is junk science and even worse science-journalism. I haven’t even looked into it closely but the fact that the sample consisted of 48 students from the University of Minnesota restricts any interpretation. That fact alone means you shouldn’t generalise to humans, let alone to evolutionary adaptiveness or subconscious (could be social phenomena specific to our time after all). There are, of course, a thousand other problems with that study.

Sep 19, 2023 - permalink

Macho dummies here are just afraid to admit the superiority of the woman. They are stronger bigger faster as the men's become weaker and small. You need only look around you to see the mighty female Giants and the man weaklings.

Sep 20, 2023 - permalink

Was this article generated by AI? I've never seen more than one paragraph in the same article begin with "In the oddball task..."

Good point CG! I think some 'digging' is required here.

Sep 20, 2023 - permalink

Psypost.org and Eric W. Dolan are, as far as I can tell, legitimate...and a very interesting site with great articles. It could be that Mr. Dolan, being managing editor of psypost and at least one other online news-magazine, is pressed for time and may have used AI to write the article...or the article simply reflects Dolan's writing style.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »