Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Jessica Reyess scandal

Sep 14, 2023 - permalink

SOOOOO... what happened what did I miss? explain this vid

Sep 14, 2023 - permalink

Goob caught her manipulating her photos.

Sep 14, 2023 - permalink

Goob caught her manipulating her photos.

tell me more

cgsweat
Sep 14, 2023 - permalink

So the goob post is this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxJOuvQxBHj/

This is why she apologizes to her coach, because she apparently sent him a photoshopped pic of herself which he then posted to his own social media.

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

So the goob post is this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxJOuvQxBHj/

This is why she apologizes to her coach, because she apparently sent him a photoshopped pic of herself which he then posted to his own social media.

thankyou

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

She blocked Goob on IG, but credit to her for owning the photo manipulation. I'm a big fan of her physique and she's definitely given a lot to the sport, so I'm going to cut her slack. She wasn't apologizing to me, of course, but I respect her statement here.

I get Goob saying things like "you won the show" or "you were 1-3 in the WORLD, so why would you have any need to edit a photo??" - he's an entertainer and the question IS logical. But what Jessica said is absolutely correct: No matter how amazing a bodybuilder might look, when competing at that level, a high percentage of them mainly - sometimes even ONLY - see their flaws. Never been a bodybuilder, so I've never experienced it, but I've talked with dozens if not hundreds who expressed very similar thoughts.

cgsweat
Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

I think there's a good middle-ground approach that could be taken here. Goob could be more respected if he didn't try to shame bodybuilders for this kind of thing, and at the same time bodybuilders need to accept that body dysmorphia is a real issue and despite what they might think in their own mind, their bodies are much more impressive than 99% of the rest of the population and so there's no need for photo manipulation.

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

She blocked Goob on IG, but credit to her for owning the photo manipulation. I'm a big fan of her physique and she's definitely given a lot to the sport, so I'm going to cut her slack. She wasn't apologizing to me, of course, but I respect her statement here.

I get Goob saying things like "you won the show" or "you were 1-3 in the WORLD, so why would you have any need to edit a photo??" - he's an entertainer and the question IS logical. But what Jessica said is absolutely correct: - see their flaws.

The fact that you can't even tell wdf happened in her "apology" is very baffling but i also understand her wanting to edit no matter how insane she looks because she only sees the areas that need improvement also if you all didn't notice Jessica got a chin implant or procedure to make her chin more prominent

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

I think there's a good middle-ground approach that could be taken here. Goob could be more respected if he didn't try to shame bodybuilders for this kind of thing, and at the same time bodybuilders need to accept that body dysmorphia is a real issue and despite what they might think in their own mind, their bodies are much more impressive than 99% of the rest of the population and so there's no need for photo manipulation.

Yeh I think he's a lot better now than previously, he would act like they tried to get away with murder a lot more tame now

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

She didn't need any photo manipulation. Her shape outstanding. Here comes the question why?

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

She didn't need any photo manipulation. Her shape outstanding. Here comes the question why?

perfection trying to stay at the top everyone does it personally don't care.

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

I think the years of test, clen, dbol, etc made her chin more prominent...

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

I have very mixed feelings about Goob. On one hand, I really appreciate him exposing legit predators and sex offenders in the fitness industry (especially with what Stephanie Flesher did.) But he's starting to get obnoxious towards bodybuilders and influencers who manipulate their photos, especially when he's doing it with the same kind of zeal as he did towards sex offenders.

My (admittedly cynical) take on Goob is he's not doing at all as a means of being altruistic and keeping the fitness industry honest, but rather because that's what generates traffic and engagement on his social media platforms. I highly doubt he would be doing this if it didn't give him the attention he was looking for, especially given that he really only had a very modest following as a bodybuilder and strength athlete before he started doing this.

And honestly, at the end of the day, bodybuilders and fitness influencers are going to manipulate their photos. It doesn't make it right, but it's as much a staple of the industry as WWE inflating audience numbers at their PPVs. It's never going to go away, and the best and healthiest thing to do is to acknowledge that and not let body dysmorphia come in comparing yourself to those pics.

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

I have very mixed feelings about Goob. On one hand, I really appreciate him exposing legit predators and sex offenders in the fitness industry (especially with what Stephanie Flesher did.) But he's starting to get obnoxious towards bodybuilders and influencers who manipulate their photos, especially when he's doing it with the same kind of zeal as he did towards sex offenders.

My (admittedly cynical) take on Goob is he's not doing at all as a means of being altruistic and keeping the fitness industry honest, but rather because that's what generates traffic and engagement on his social media platforms. I highly doubt he would be doing this if it didn't give him the attention he was looking for, especially given that he really only had a very modest following as a bodybuilder and strength athlete before he started doing this.

And honestly, at the end of the day, bodybuilders and fitness influencers are going to manipulate their photos. It doesn't make it right, but it's as much a staple of the industry as WWE inflating audience numbers at their PPVs. It's never going to go away, and the best and healthiest thing to do is to acknowledge that and not let body dysmorphia come in comparing yourself to those pics.

OMG so well said. I feel exactly the same!

His "gotcha's" on photo manipulation are so shallow to me. It's incredibly prevalent now and has been for a long time.

Like.. LOL.. does he think that the pics on Herbiceps come straight out of a camera? The guys there are like "well, this is perfect, lets post it. Wouldn't want to mislead everyone with some waist tucking or bicep tweaking." Ridiculous. Of course they edit their pics.

Goob does this to make a name for himself and generate engagement. And his followers watch to see someone get shamed. Someone with a physique that probably far exceeds their own. It's gross.

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

I think goob wants to make more content but sometimes it's a slow news day. Also why doesn't he post on YouTube. Instagram is such garbage. sorry I need to hate on Instagram I can't help myself.

Sep 15, 2023 - permalink

Because body dysmorphia is very, very common in the fitness industry and among fitness influencers. There is a saying that has been floating around for decades that I first saw on the bodybuilding.com forums like 20 years ago that goes "the day you first step foot in the gym is the day you're forever small." When you are an athlete, you have a drive that pushes you to improve to be better than your competitor and the person you were the day before. Most times that can be a good thing, but it can get to a point where it becomes self destructive and toxic (there is a video of Ronnie Coleman squatting like 800 pounds, and even though that was one of the lifts that eventually led to all his crippling injuries, he said his biggest regret was not doing more reps.)

Bodybuilders (and instagram fitness influencers) are constantly striving for that perfect physique. To the vast majority of people who don't train at that level, their physiques look exceptional (because they are!), but to them, they can only see their flaws and weaknesses. That can lead them to manipulate their photos, and it may be for a multitude of reasons: their own ego, or maybe a fear that if their followers see any flaws that it would hurt their reputation.

It's a brutal mindset, and as a strength athlete I also struggle with it.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »