Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Policy on changing names?

Aug 26, 2023 - permalink

I changed the names of a few models on this site to try and consolidate differently named posts of the same model under a single name. Is this alright with the mod team?

Aug 26, 2023 - permalink

I just noticed the edit name option, and the fact that the mod team needs to approve the change. I’m sorry for changing names without permission. I specifically changed the name of Rayshell Michel and a few Douyin models. I have access to Douyin, and wanted to add proper names to replace the IDs.

Chainer
Aug 26, 2023 - permalink

Yeah this is very helpful, thanks!

I’m sorry for changing names without permission.

Nothing to apologize for... you are using the feature as it is intended. Please continue using that (rather than renaming pics individually); not only is it less effort for you, but it also moves over the subscriptions.

Sep 11, 2023 - permalink

Silje Emilie Tønnesen, who is Norwegian, is here known as Tonnesen. Is this on purpose, does it matter or should names be changed to their native forms when possible? As far as I know, she'd still searchable as Tonnesen, even if the proper spelling was used. Phonetically the difference between o and ø is about the same as the one between y and u (or u and ü).

Sep 11, 2023 - permalink

Silje Emilie Tønnesen, who is Norwegian, is here known as Tonnesen. Is this on purpose, does it matter or should names be changed to their native forms when possible? As far as I know, she'd still searchable as Tonnesen, even if the proper spelling was used. Phonetically the difference between o and ø is about the same as the one between y and u (or u and ü).

It's a tough call. On the one hand, many people on here speak any number of different languages and have keyboards to support various inputs easily.

On the other hand, changing to native forms also leaves us with names like: 元気, 최세라, and さくら.

Sep 11, 2023 - permalink

On the other hand, changing to native forms also leaves us with names like: 元気, 최세라, and さくら.

Then let's just not do it with Asian names.

Sep 11, 2023 - permalink

I prefer to keep pinyin and romanizations

Chainer
Sep 11, 2023 - permalink

I prefer to keep pinyin and romanizations

I think this is good for Chinese characters.

For names like Silje Emilie Tønnesen that use variations of English characters, putting the native form is fine. The site treats ø and o as identical when doing a search, so you might as well have the native form be the one that is displayed.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »