Forum > Announcements > Thread

Changes to model naming system

Chainer
Aug 18, 2023 - edited Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

I have just made some changes to how model name information is stored and associated with images. If you don't pay close attention to this sort of thing, you might not notice a difference, although the change touches a lot of different parts of the site code.

If you do like to pay attention, here's more detail about what has changed:

• There's been some cleanup of how model names are displayed. The same model's name now always appears exactly the same way under all their images. Previously there could be some variation where middle names were optionally allowed and it would still be considered the same person for searching purposes; this logic was complicated and broken, and is now gone. The autocomplete should help you enter the correct name.
  • A model can now be renamed from their search page. Click "Edit name" in the upper left (screenshot below). This updates the name under all of their pictures. If all you change is capitalization, the change is instantaneous. Otherwise, it sends a request to the site staff that needs to be approved. Please use this rather than manually updating the name on all their pics one by one as you did before; not only is it less work, it also preserves subscriptions.
  • Some improvements to the autocomplete when entering a model name.
  • There is no more support for place markers (like "(R)" or "(L)") that were sometimes used to indicate a model's position in a picture. However, the order of the model names is important and is preserved, as it was before, so you should enter the names in the same order as they appear in the picture.

In the old system, there were some images that due to unintented behavior were not searchable (there was no search term that would make them appear). This is now fixed. On the other hand, due to how middle names were ignored in the old system, some model profiles may now mistakenly have pictures of more than one person under them. If you find these, please report them, or fix them yourself by renaming the pics of one of the models to distinguish it from the other (for example, by adding or removing a middle name, or adding an instagram handle).

cgsweat
Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

Off the top of my head there's at least 3 different Jessica Martin's, represented by the following images:

I don't know their socials. This is more of a bulletin for anyone who can help with this.

Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

There appear to be two different Kiana Tom's: https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/images/?name=...

[deleted]
Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

Off the top of my head there's at least 3 different Jessica Martin's, represented by the following images:

I don't know their socials. This is more of a bulletin for anyone who can help with this.

1. jessimartin1815

2. jessmartinm

3. ifbbpro_teenytinyterminator

Chainer
Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

The other question is, once they have been renamed/split apart, which of the three should get the current subscriptions?

Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

You could keep the subscription for the three, and eventually people will unsubscribe of those they don't like.

Chainer
Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

There isn't a way currently to duplicate (triplicate) the subscriptions like that.

Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

Good work Chainer! This will save time.

cgsweat
Aug 18, 2023 - edited Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

The other question is, once they have been renamed/split apart, which of the three should get the current subscriptions?

I think the subscriptions should stay with the original Jessica Martin, since she was both the first to be uploaded and also seems to have 90% of the currently labeled "Jessica Martin" images.

I'm just going to rename the others and create a separate thread to notify users of the new distinction, and leave links for them to subscribe to each of them.

EDIT: Ah, I see. The edit can only be applied to all "Jessica Martin" images, or none of them...

cgsweat
Aug 18, 2023 - permalink
  1. jessimartin1815

2. jessmartinm

3. ifbbpro_teenytinyterminator

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2023 - permalink

Good feature! Do we always prefer a real name to a social media handle, if known?

Aug 23, 2023 - permalink

I think real name. Or both. Ha

Chainer
Aug 23, 2023 - permalink

Good feature! Do we always prefer a real name to a social media handle, if known?

I'd say use whatever they're best known by. If they put their full name on the social media, or they are well known (competitions, etc.) using their full name use that; otherwise, if they just put their first name on social media and are not well known, use "Firstname (socialmediahandle)".

cgsweat
Aug 29, 2023 - permalink

The Jessica Martin's have been separated into their own searchable pages. Users who are interested in following any specific Jessica Martin can do so at the following links:

Jessica Martin

Jessica Martin (ifbbpro_teenytinyterminator)

Jessica Martin (jessmartinm)

Sep 24, 2023 - edited Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

This might be nitpicking, but Ellen Åkesson's autocompletion makes it Ellen Akesson. The Å and A are definitely different letters, and her name does start with an Å. It shouldn't be a problem for people who don't have an Å on their keyboard (I don't have it, I just know the shortcut) because I tested it. searching for any letter with or without diacritics will return all variatons of that letter.

There are others who do have the diacritic in their name (Gabriela Hejná, Angélica Aguilera, Amairani Magaña, Celeste Chávez just to name a few)

Edit: Never mind... read half of the post, then typed my comment, then read everything properly. Fixed it and life is good again.

Chainer
Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

I don't understand which part of that behavior is wrong, or should be happening differently than it is.

Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

Oh no, it's not wrong. Infact I think it's exactly how it's supposed to work. I was just nitpicking about how some names do have the diacritics in them, and others don't before I actually read the whole post.

You've done a great job with how it's set up now <3

Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

Another model whose name is misplaced is Rose Santos, who appears as: Rose Kellen Santos, sharing photos with another woman.

Rose Kellen Santos
Rose Santos

Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

Chainer:

I have just made some changes to how model name information is stored and associated with images...

In the old system, there were some images that due to unintented behavior were not searchable (there was no search term that would make them appear). This is now fixed. On the other hand, due to how middle names were ignored in the old system, some model profiles may now mistakenly have pictures of more than one person under them. If you find these, please report them, or fix them yourself by renaming the pics of one of the models to distinguish it from the other (for example, by adding or removing a middle name, or adding an instagram handle).

The gallery for Min Yung Kim has another model that now appears.

I don't know if the name of the other model is also Min Yung Kim, but I tried searching for her using Google, and also reverse image search on Yandex. I was only able to find results for the original Min Yung Kim.

There doesn't appear to be an Instagram account for either model. The only way I can think to distinguish between the two is to change the original to something like:

Min Yung Kim (IFBB Fitness Pro)

-or-

Min Yung Kim (Born February 8th, 1970 in South Korea)

I didn't want to change it on my own and am alerting site staff as requested by Chainer.

Original Min Yung Kim:

Unverified "Min Yung Kim":

Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

Typed Jushi Hui into the search box and no results appear????

I know the correct spelling of her name uses accents ù , í and ì but are non native speakers expected to remember all the correct slants of all the different diacritics of all the languages of models on this site.

Chainer
Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

Oh no, it's not wrong. Infact I think it's exactly how it's supposed to work. I was just nitpicking about how some names do have the diacritics in them, and others don't before I actually read the whole post.

You've done a great job with how it's set up now <3

Great! It's basically up to users whether to put a diacritic in a name or not. If a name is missing one, you can edit the profile name to add it.

Another model whose name is misplaced is Rose Santos, who appears as: Rose Kellen Santos, sharing photos with another woman.

This looks like it was incorrectly combined. I have separated them.

The gallery for Min Yung Kim has another model that now appears.

Here, on the other hand, I don't see any other model profiles that have been combined into Min Yung Kim. There is unfortunately not a good way of separating two models currently under the same name other than by doing it manually. You have to give one a distinct name from the other. Ideally you would do this by adding a link to their social media (like: "Min Yung Kim (instagramhandle)" or similar), not by adding a long text description.

Can you link to an image of her please, so I can see what is going on.

Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

Can you link to an image of her please, so I can see what is going on.

Chainer
Sep 24, 2023 - permalink

Ah, the reason that's not coming up is because of the soft-blacklisting due to self-morphing.

Sep 29, 2023 - permalink

When I click on Jess Martin, trying to bring up the Canadian figure/fitness athlete, I also get some of Jessica Martin (jessmartinm). Not sure this is a big deal. But it does show the whole Jessica Martin issue wasn't fixed.

Oct 27, 2023 - permalink

I know the correct spelling of her name uses accents ù , í and ì but are non native speakers expected to remember all the correct slants of all the different diacritics of all the languages of models on this site.

Yes, you need to remember all the correct slants because some users speak those languages natively. You can continue to spell Наталия Кузнецова in standard English, but 陳小賢 should be written as Chénxiǎoxiān98 and not as "Chenxiaoxian98" because let's not be ridiculous. Without diacritics how would you pronounce it properly?

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »