Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

What is your motivation for working out (training)?

cgsweat
Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

This is directed mostly to those who have been training for at least a little while.

Training could include crossfit, bodybuilding, strength training, or anything else out there. What are your motivations? Do you just want to look good, are you trying to attract someone, are you addicted to the post-workout rush? Do the women on this site motivate you with their gains?

You guys can discuss this here, but I also intend for this thread to be a motivator for those who have been wanting to train, but for some reason just haven't gotten around to it yet. This could be the spark they need to take that step.

Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

When I hit 30 I was in terrible physical shape. I was fat, had high cholesterol and high blood pressure and I couldn’t go up three flights of stairs without feeling winded. I wasn’t happy with my appearance and my health. I cleaned up my diet, got into CrossFit and boxing, and lost around 45 pounds and got into the best shape of my life, and remain very fit and muscular today (I am now 35.)

I workout for my health, yes, but I admit there is some vanity to it. I like how I look shirtless, and when I got fit I got far more attention and dates/sex when I was single (I have a girlfriend now.) Also, being attracted to buff women, I would always see them with muscular partners, so i wanted to get muscular myself so that I would look attractive to them.

Now, let me preface my next statement by saying this is only how I think TOWARDS MYSELF. I am aware it’s an issue and I am not saying this applies to anybody.

When I was fat, I was upset that the muscular women I was into weren’t into me. That turned into a self loathing of me thinking “well of course they don’t like you: you’re a fat piece of shit.” It did drive me to get into shape, but unfortunately that bit of loathing still remains. I am not single anymore and obviously don’t need to be attractive towards them, but there is that nagging thought in my head that says “you don’t have the right to be attracted to them if you aren’t willing to put the work into a fit physique yourself.” It’s a small part of why I work out, and why I feel guilty and awful if I need to skip a workout, or if my performance wasn’t up to my standards. I am aware it’s a very unhealthy mindset, and it sucks and feels awful, but I am working on it.

Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

Health and appearance. I always wanted to look muscular. My diet sucks though. Sometimes the women on this site and that other crappy forum (s) motivates me for gains and such. Or when I see a fit woman at the gym or on rare occasions when a female bodybuilder comes in. But if I need to search for training and such and such I'll go to bodyuilding.com or reddit for such. I've been working out since my community college days (early 00s) and any other activity classes that I took at community college.

Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

Mostly to gawk at the girls at the gym and 2nd prio is to get my belly flat (which is very hard)

Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

I have dual reasoning that stems from lofty ideals and tangible issues. Philosophically, I strive to better myself as much as I can, and working out is just one aspect of that. However, I mostly do it to keep healthy since I have a history of high blood pressure and cholesterol in the family. It's also a good way to meet buff women but I'm not very open about that part of myself, so it's not a huge boon. I'm still in Uni so I figure I have time to get over that little hangup, but ultimately I work out for myself.

Jul 24, 2023 - edited Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

I work out because of my job which requires a lot of physical activity and I get paid well there. I work out 3 times a week with a personal trainer and twice I do it on my own at home with weights,kettlebell or my own body weight. Initially I wasn't that active at the gym because I tended to take a day off because I was too sleepy from work but I started being a bit more strict and increased my participation and started working out at home which has produced results according to everyone I know. Soon I'll probably get another gym membership so I can start doing more things on my own with gym equipment because at home I am a bit limited and I want to do more.. However I have to say that I just can't find a girlfriend of any kind which has significantly impacted my mental health..it a issue that started to bother me once a month to a daily issue... I tried Tinder and I have to say..Tinder is not your friend, it only wants money from you (which I did give twice) and the odds are stacked against you by a significant margin as a man.

Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

Mainly to stay healthy, I don't go nuts for gains or anything. Half my hobbies require cardio which I do not currently have lol.

Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

We started about 10 years ago because we were in our early 40s and did not like the way we looked or felt. We started slow, 3 times a week at the gym with no intention of going full bodybuilding. Actually my wife was afraid of looking too muscular then. I had to reassure her that she would not get really muscular unless she really tried to. Year after year things slowly changed and now we hit the gym 5-6 times a week, eat properly, rest properly, and my wife set a personal goal to try and win her pro card. Not to actually become a pro competitor, but because of how hard it is to win a pro card. We much prefer the way we look and feel now in our early 50s.

Jul 24, 2023 - permalink

I have cerebral palsy, and I work out so I can remain mobile. Being over 60, and after a multitude of surgeries, working out out 3-5 days/week keeps me loose, reduces my chronic pain, lets me be active with my wife and family, and is a big middle finger to all those a**holes who keep telling me that I shouldn’t be able to do all the shit I do. Besides, I owe it to my wife and kids to be the best me I can be, and set a good example. My CP and my crutches just make me interesting.

Jul 25, 2023 - edited Jul 25, 2023 - permalink

I initially started going to the gym cause I was into muscle girls (surprise!), and I hated being small and weak.

But to be honest, lately I've had a complete lack of motivation and desire to work out.

I've been going to the gym for 12 years. But only really took it seriously the last 2-3 years pre-covid, then during lockdowns I did bodyweight training at home, and went back to the gym right after things opened up, with a renewed sense of focus.

But yea... That wore off. Yesterday when it came to mind that it's squat day at the gym I felt depressed and unmotivated. I went anyways. I got to my final, AMRAP set for squats, did 1 rep. Reracked the bar and left.

I've never had an issue before. Sure some days I would half ass a workout, but I'd get through it. But these days it feels like a massive waste of my time.

Jul 25, 2023 - permalink

I started training seriously in high school when I was racing amateur motocross and trying to turn pro. Then I suffered a major injury (not related to motorcycles) and had to go through just over a year of rehab. I got back up to my old level of training after a year and a half but by then I was in college and the racing hopes had passed me by. I kept training mostly for endurance and did a lot of running and cycling for several more years. Now I split my training up between power lifting and bodybuilding, even though I have zero intention of competing.

Jul 25, 2023 - permalink

Physical and mental health/well-being

Jul 25, 2023 - permalink
  1. Health (no health insurance)
  2. Don't wanna be a skinny schmoe. Want a FBB? Lift and train like a bb.
  3. I wanna be fit and not flabby. I'm not that rich or handsome.
Jul 25, 2023 - permalink

I initially started going to the gym cause I was into muscle girls (surprise!), and I hated being small and weak.

But to be honest, lately I've had a complete lack of motivation and desire to work out.

I've been going to the gym for 12 years. But only really took it seriously the last 2-3 years pre-covid, then during lockdowns I did bodyweight training at home, and went back to the gym right after things opened up, with a renewed sense of focus.

But yea... That wore off. Yesterday when it came to mind that it's squat day at the gym I felt depressed and unmotivated. I went anyways. I got to my final, AMRAP set for squats, did 1 rep. Reracked the bar and left.

I've never had an issue before. Sure some days I would half ass a workout, but I'd get through it. But these days it feels like a massive waste of my time.

Maybe I can help.

It honestly sounds a bit like burnout. It's clear you don't have issues with consistency, but what you're describing sounds like burnout, whether it's with your current routine or pushing too hard.

Maybe take a break from the weight room and try other things. I had a major injury where I couldn't lift heavy for awhile, so I used that period of time to focus on my conditioning and my engine. Did a lot of running, assault bike and rowing. Check out rock climbing, or a martial art, or even yoga!

If you have been training too hard and feel burned, it won't kill your fitness to take a full week or so off of training, and when you do that, ease back on your intensity or your load. Have you done a proper deload recently.

And it goes without saying, how is your life outside of the gym? Are you eating enough, getting enough sleep, doing enough mobility work?

Jul 25, 2023 - edited Jul 25, 2023 - permalink

Health, general wellbeing, mental accuity, and appearance.

Exactly what he said.

And I want to add that my partner is pretty buff herself. We made a commitment to each other to look as good as possible, for as long as possible, in our relationship. Being buff for each other also sustains and extends a great sex life.

Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

I've been training for a long time but have always exercised a lot. Whilst I hit the gym 3-4 times a week I also run and ride (road cycling and mtb); the latter, coupled with my build and metabolism, mean I'm never gonna be huge haha. But quite frankly, I don;t want to be. I exercise to stay in shape, set a good role model for my 18 year old twin boys and must admit I get a kick from receiving compliments about my appearance (not gonna lie, always a bit of eg involved!). As previously mentioned by other posters, the mental health benefits can't be underestimated. I'm nearly 53 and have no intention of letting up!

Jul 26, 2023 - edited Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

getting older and seeing people like betty weider looking increadble for their age!

https://www.joeweider.com/photos/whats-new-wi...

she's 80 years old in the majority of photos here turned 90 in 2020 and doesn't look a day over 60. All of the healthiest elders I've met started working out young and kept at it while the others I know are in severe pain now due to bad habits, health truly is wealth.

Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

Male with 15 years of training varying between powerlifting, HIIT, running, hiking, and bodybuilding. I started because I was an overweight teenager, but my motivation changed as I grew to love the meditative experience of working out. I also like to listen to audiobooks and online courses while I lift. My identity change from someone that exercises to someone that's strong and looks strong also played into my desire to maintain the status quo and keep going.

I also have had a general muscle gain and growth fetish since I was a kid. Being able to get bigger and stronger is like living out that fantasy. I don't tell everyone, but I was always open about it with my girlfriends. My girlfriends used to tell me I was crazy because I would tell them I wanted to be able to easily lift them overhead with one hand. At the moment I can rep 100lbs for standing, strict, dumbell overhead presses. Getting there, but I may need to do HGH and/or TRT in 5-10 years.

My body fat fluctuates between 18-35%. Over the course of every couple years. I generally average around 20-25%. I'm definitely more of a casual strongman lifter.

At the moment it's maintaining the status quo with incremental goals. I am also trying to get to the point of being able to do a front and side split.

Having a muscle gain and strength fetish definitelt helps to keep me motivated haha

Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

I thought this might happen

Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

I thought this might happen

😁🤣😂...Actually, I started working out to try and win back my ex-wife. She was muscular and I always thought she was looking for a man built more to her standards. She started cheating on me early on. Probably a good thing my plan didn't work. She went through one man after another, broke one heart after another. Not a nice person at all. I went from 6'2" 160 lbs to 240 lbs although lately I've come down to about 220 lbs. She motivated the hell out of me though. 💪👍

Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

I just really love being in shape!

For most of my life I was just an average girl with an average body, but since I've started working out I feel more confident, I like myself more, and people definitely comment on it - which makes me feel good.

I do get some negative comments (especially from my mom), but in general the feedback is positive!

Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

I just really love being in shape!

For most of my life I was just an average girl with an average body, but since I've started working out I feel more confident, I like myself more, and people definitely comment on it - which makes me feel good.

I do get some negative comments (especially from my mom), but in general the feedback is positive!

@scarletlight....I can pretty much GUARANTEE, you would receive ZERO negative remarks from the people in here. Good luck in your fitness journey 💪💪👍 Muscles look so good on a woman. 😜

Jul 26, 2023 - permalink

At this point I'm training to maximize stength and power for competitive arm wrestling.

Always been drawn to physical activity and the rush/high I get from training hard is an addiction at this point.

Jul 27, 2023 - permalink

getting older and seeing people like betty weider looking increadble for their age!

https://www.joeweider.com/photos/whats-new-wi...

she's 80 years old in the majority of photos here turned 90 in 2020 and doesn't look a day over 60. All of the healthiest elders I've met started working out young and kept at it while the others I know are in severe pain and agony now due to bad habits, health truly is wealth.

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »