Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

American Gladiators documentary

Jun 30, 2023 - permalink

I normally don't like to look too deep behind the curtain of things I really enjoyed, but the first episode of the AG documentary was terrific. I never knew Raye Hollitt was not the original Zap. It was interesting how they described the different FBB looks they wanted, "feminine" and "tomboy".

The inclusion of Raye's scene from "Skin Deep" was pretty special.

IMO, musclegirls being such a popular and novel thing at the time really contributed to the success of the show.

Jun 30, 2023 - permalink

How did they regard Hollit's physique? i mean the first season she was massive but later well in returning from maternity leave she was perhaps more akin to a fitness pageant contestant but I think in her third and fourth years she looked like she was within perhaps a month of a physique to put her into contention for the Olympia had she kept at training and dieting intensely.

fp909
Jun 30, 2023 - permalink

this is around the time that Raye appeared on JAG, and there were explicit comments about her build from the two main characters at the time. haven't seen anything like it since.

AG at the time was amazing, although I only ever got to see reruns. Wish the reboot had the same kind of approach

Jun 30, 2023 - permalink

<IMO, musclegirls being such a popular and novel thing at the time really contributed to the success of the show.

I agree! The novel idea of pretty girls built like that, made the show!! I loved it when Gold "Tonya Knight" would treat us with a flex now and then. I remember one of the competitors gave them a real challenge. She was thick and muscular.

Jun 30, 2023 - permalink

You should watch the episode 2 and the story when "Zap" and "Nitro" had a date, so funny and cool

cgsweat
Jun 30, 2023 - permalink

The trailer made it look like some kind of steroid-fueled sex-fest behind the scenes, kind of like the Olympic village. I haven't watched any of it yet.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »