Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Women Building Muscles Because of Abuse?

Jun 11, 2023 - edited Jun 11, 2023 - permalink

From time to time I stumble over girls who are into lifting (and sometimes martial arts) who were sexually or physically abused in their past.

I wonder how often this is the case and if muscles are a way to cope with their traumatic experiences, like building some kind of shield around them.

Jun 11, 2023 - permalink

I think men that have been bullied in the youth are common in the gyms, so I wouldn't be surprised if abused women also are common in the gyms.

Jun 11, 2023 - permalink

Just watched a video about the physical, biological and physiological factors of exercising, so I’d say it would be the most likely thing

Jun 11, 2023 - permalink

Yea they probably do it for self defense.

Jun 13, 2023 - permalink
Deleted by Eagle45
Jun 13, 2023 - permalink

I’ve often found men who were bullied because of their less than socially accepted bodies go into bodybuilding, I always assumed it was the same with women.

Jun 13, 2023 - permalink

From time to time I stumble over girls who are into lifting (and sometimes martial arts) who were sexually or physically abused in their past.

I wonder how often this is the case and if muscles are a way to cope with their traumatic experiences, like building some kind of shield around them.

Yes, this is a very wise observation. It's about power, and about potentially being able to resist things like unwanted advances or dominance.

I met one stripper (pictured on here) who I wanted to arm wrestle. She is plenty strong but was just a big shy, at least at first. She worked out constantly for all the years she was an exotic dancer, and that was many. She is very lean and strong, and I always thought those muscles were a defense, like wearing armor when you are a knight.

Jun 13, 2023 - permalink

Yes, in my case the abuse had a major influence. It's not shameful to share it.

Jun 14, 2023 - permalink

I think Wendy McMasters got into Bodybuilding due to past drug and abuse issues… I think for her she said it was an escape from reality, or something along those lines.

Jun 14, 2023 - permalink

This goes for both genders OP plenty of men get big after being abused they just stop viewing themselves as victims and never mention it.

Jun 14, 2023 - permalink

That may very well be the stupidest thing that I've ever read in my entire life.

Sounds like you are being defensive to me. It's hardly stupid.

Jun 14, 2023 - permalink

I think if that were truly the case, we would see a lot more muscular women out there. It might be a case of correlation versus causation.

Unfortunately, abuse is rather common.

Jun 14, 2023 - permalink

In my experience, there seems to be a very strong connection.

Jun 15, 2023 - permalink

Are there any sources that investigated this more?

Jun 15, 2023 - permalink

The thread asks a good question. I dont think we´ll ever really know, for obvious reasons.

But it is quite clear that some of these women on here have had a troubled past, like depression, anorexia etc. Bakhar Nabieva, Fanny Swerkstrom, Rebecka Jansen, Slava Galagan to mention a few. You can hint they have this kind of vulnerability they try their best to hide. And building muscle is a great way to boost self esteem, even though it can be a bit too shallow.

Jun 16, 2023 - permalink

The thread asks a good question. I dont think we´ll ever really know, for obvious reasons.

But it is quite clear that some of these women on here have had a troubled past, like depression, anorexia etc. Bakhar Nabieva, Fanny Swerkstrom, Rebecka Jansen, Slava Galagan to mention a few. You can hint they have this kind of vulnerability they try their best to hide. And building muscle is a great way to boost self esteem, even though it can be a bit too shallow.

oh yeah, I remember a vid where Bakhar said she got bullied by her peers when she was younger and that was a motivation for her to build muscle

Jun 16, 2023 - permalink

Something tells me not a lot of people on this thread actually works out

Jun 16, 2023 - permalink

I'm not, if you are pointing me out

Jun 16, 2023 - permalink

I like to call it “schmoe logic”

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »