Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Mixing various search 'order' in advanced search

Jun 09, 2023 - permalink

It would be great if, as we can for the tags, mix different options from the 'order' drop down in the advanced search.

ie: being able to search for video: - most recently commented AND - high score this week

Probably technically it is only a matter to replace the drop-down with a multiple select.

Jun 09, 2023 - permalink

You did not do the math before writing that.

Once you sort according to most recently commented, you're done. I assume the timestamps have enough accuracy to be unique. To sort according to weekly high score then would make the first sort operation meaningless.

Only in cases where many pictures are equal according to the first criterion used is it meaningful to sort them again within that value. For example, if the most recently commented did not save timestamps by the second or even millisecond, but only stored dates, it would be meaningful to sort within a certain date according to a second criterion.

There is only one or two special cases where this would have any meaning. I think I have ran into them, but I can't remember which those were.

Jun 09, 2023 - permalink

Correct I mistyped

It seems I would only be useful for “most commented” in connection with another filter for instance high score this week.

Wouldn’t that give the most commented pictures with high score this week?

Jun 09, 2023 - permalink

I assume you mean weighting a picture‘s score with it‘s actual score and it‘s number of comments?

ie. the score of the picture that is actually being ordered = the score + a coefficient * the number of comments?

I‘ve zero experience with programming, but I don‘t think it‘s too hard. However, it appears that pictures with high scores normally have a lot of comments as well, making this a bit unnecessary.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »