Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Transatlantic miisunderstanding?

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

In the UK the female posterior is often referred to colloquially as "arse". To say that a girl has a nice arse is a compliment. I'm wondering whether in America this is considered an insult? I've had comments on some sites blocked or banned for using the word, so am now careful to use "glutes" instead. Is this the case?

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

It sounds more crude in the US than across the pond. Same with a certain word that begins with F and ends in K.

cgsweat
Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

Same with a word that begins with F and ends with G. But in the UK it refers to a smoke.

[deleted]
Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

In the UK the female posterior is often referred to colloquially as "arse". To say that a girl has a nice arse is a compliment. I'm wondering whether in America this is considered an insult? I've had comments on some sites blocked or banned for using the word, so am now careful to use "glutes" instead. Is this the case?

Not sure if that‘s even acceptable in the UK

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

The noun Arse is classified as British Vulgar Slang and has its roots in Old English. Its meaning is simple: a person's bottom. The word was in common useage in South to Central Ontario from the 17th Century to about the mid 20th C when it began to fall out of general use but is still used and known...likely used today in New England USA and elsewhere.

[deleted]
Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

To say that a girl has a nice arse is a compliment.

are you sure? like you'd tell a random girl you just met that she had a nice arse? women obviously vary even within cultures. some women in the US may enjoy getting told that they have a nice butt, but many others would find it offensive for a stranger to make a comment about their body in that way. whether the word is butt or arse or ass, it doesn't really matter.

[deleted]
Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

oh, and i'll add one more thing. "glutes" refers to the muscles, and is more anatomical, so i think people feel like it's a reference to the hard work they've put in in the gym, where "ass" or "arse" feels more sexual. that could be the issue here.

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

Binguslerman1 makes good sense in his comments. Really, saying someone has a nice 'arse' or 'butt' in any situation no matter where, is a risky gambit...you might get a smile but more probably a punch in the head. Refering to 'glutes' would be more neutral. Of course, this entire thread is based upon a certain level of silly rudeness where, unless in intimate relationship, any other consideration becomes untenable.

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

are you sure? like you'd tell a random girl you just met that she had a nice arse? women obviously vary even within cultures. some women in the US may enjoy getting told that they have a nice butt, but many others would find it offensive for a stranger to make a comment about their body in that way. whether the word is butt or arse or ass, it doesn't really matter.

Pretty much this. Telling a random stranger that she has a nice ass is a good way to get blocked (or slapped in person). It’s social skills 101 on how to interact with women, and I’ll go so far as to say that “glutes” isn’t too much better.

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

Agree. “Social Skills 101“ definitely discourages making unsolicited comments on another person’s body in general, in the absence of some pre-existing social relationship.

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

Agree. “Social Skills 101“ definitely discourages making unsolicited comments on another person’s body in general, in the absence of some pre-existing social relationship.

Exactly. You should say nothing unless asked.

Jun 05, 2023 - permalink

Exactly. You should say nothing unless asked.

You know you can make compliments and comments on things other than their specific body parts, right?

Last compliment I left that had a very positive response was to a bodybuilder’s front rack mobility. She had a full grip on the barbell when doing front squats. I told her I am working to try to get a full grip like her’s (when I use a clean grip for front squats I can only have my fingertips on the bar to have a…decent front rack position lol.)

It’s also why I recommend that people who are attracted to buff women also be into lifting themselves. Makes it easier to compliment, comment or even have a conversation without coming off as fetishistic

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »