Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

What would be considered the golden age of women’s bodybuilding?

Apr 15, 2023 - permalink

I think it depends on the definition of "golden." Comics (Marvel and DC) define their golden age beginning in the 1930's. It's certainly the first era, but does that also automatically make it the best era?

The comments in this thread are all over the map because there's no agreement on what golden means. The thread should be retitled what's your favorite era of women's bodybuilding.

Apr 15, 2023 - permalink

I think it depends on the definition of "golden." Comics (Marvel and DC) define their golden age beginning in the 1930's. It's certainly the first era, but does that also automatically make it the best era?

The 90s saw the maturing of "personality" women's bodybuilding, and that is what made it the Golden Age. It's not a matter of the proliferation of superior physiques, by which yardstick these times would be golden. It's the statement made by women's bodybuilding relative to the culture, the boldness, and the iconoclastic mystique. Kay Baxter, Cory Everson, Lenda Murray, Rachel McLish, Carla Dunlop, and others understood themselves to be key agents of permanent change in the female aesthetic. These ladies carried themselves with the appropriate dignity and gravitas and not as mere "gymrats."

Apr 15, 2023 - permalink

The 90s ... Kay Baxter, Cory Everson, Lenda Murray, Rachel McLish, Carla Dunlop, and others

ALL these women you mentioned were in the 1980s not the 1990s! Lenda Murray lasted into the 1990s as Ms. Olympia. Someone else on this thread said Lenda Murray wouldn't win a current physique contest! While judging criteria are different now, that's basically not right. Learn your history and attend some contests live before making generalizations. But for those of you who want to blow hot air, carry on....!

Apr 15, 2023 - permalink

Late 80s through early 00s. Channels like NBC, ESPN and Fox Sports were showing FBB shows, and also we had WPW magazine.

Apr 16, 2023 - edited Apr 16, 2023 - permalink

Late 80s through early 00s. Channels like NBC, ESPN and Fox Sports were showing FBB shows, and also we had WPW magazine.

This era will always be special to me. The advent of truly muscular women. Building, perfecting their physiques. Posing, showing off their muscles. Being an old geezer, this was something I never dreamed possible. Before female bodybuilding arrived...seeing a muscular woman, was only slighter more likely than spotting a unicorn.

Apr 16, 2023 - edited Apr 16, 2023 - permalink

In 1995 Demi Moore was considered very muscular when she appeared on the David Letterman show:

I didn't quite follow the argument here, but there's some truth there. In the 90's any woman with a slighty toned body would be considered muscular or manly.

For example argentinian tennist Gabriela Sabatini was considered very manly and an awful woman by general media (even portraited with the body of a male bodybuilder in some magazine, cannot find the image right now).

Now you see the pics and for ours days (and also our taste in GWM) she seems like a very appealing young woman. But at that time she was a buff ugly tom-boy, etc, it was clear like that!

With the years Gabriela got a more standar femenine look and she was really stunning, even for the "haters".

So I remember when the movie Streap-tease came out, you could tell Demi Moore really hit the gym and every beauty enhancer she could, at that time she was like the ultimate-perfect-babe. Some still would say that she may hit the gym to much. Me, I just really love that fit and perfect body look.

But it is really funny how the general public change on this things, I could imagine someone at that time just comenting something like that about Demi Moore.

EDIT: looking at Demi photo on Letterman again, also I would say she was the first to bring that new "really fit" look to the table. Beautiful actress by that time might had some good bodies but very little showed that level of training and fitness.

I always remember that in some movies they used a double for naked/bikini shots or ass/legs/belly shots, instead of regular body actresses, and I was in awe then I saw an interview to one of this models. A totally hot fit chick with curves every, like you could put a glass of champane in her ass, insane legs, abs, boobs (I think boob job), a GWM.

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »