Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Where goes the border between physique and bodybuilding?

Apr 07, 2023 - permalink

First winner in Women's Physique Olympia 2013: Dana Linn Bailey

Latest winner in Women's Physique Olympia 2022: Natalia Coelho

How big can the physique contestants get without crossing the border to bodybuilding?

cgsweat
Apr 07, 2023 - permalink

Physique became a little redundant once bodybuilding came back. It was supposed to be a newer, sleeker version of bodybuilding that sort of replaced the bodybuilding division for several years (in many, but not all contests). It would seem that they are losing their identity, in the same way that Figure is losing its identity as their competitors keep growing in size. Eventually the only distinguishable difference between the 3 divisions will be their posing, if nothing else changes.

Apr 08, 2023 - permalink

I agree with a lot of what cgsweat said.

But I also think it goes with the evolution of any sport. It's like how in Men's Bodybuilding the winning physiques are so much bigger and leaner than they were in the 80s. Or, as a more recent example, the CrossFit Games. The events are so much more physically demanding, along with far heavier barbell, dumbbell and kettlebell weights for said events, in the most recent games as compared to when the games first started.

Apr 08, 2023 - permalink

From our experience, when they got rid of FBB for years at the pro level, Physique BECAME FBB because there was nothing higher than that. We were hoping the reintroduction of FBB would level things out again but so far it has not. Inconsistent judging feeds into this. Sometimes large women are penalized for competing in Physique and sometimes they are rewarded. The judging standards need to be finalized and enforced. If they were to do that, then you would see Physique adjust to what it was supposed to be.

fp909
Apr 08, 2023 - permalink

I agree with a lot of what cgsweat said.

But I also think it goes with the evolution of any sport. It's like how in Men's Bodybuilding the winning physiques are so much bigger and leaner than they were in the 80s. Or, as a more recent example, the CrossFit Games. The events are so much more physically demanding, along with far heavier barbell, dumbbell and kettlebell weights for said events, in the most recent games as compared to when the games first started.

softball throw LMAO

fp909
Apr 08, 2023 - permalink

From our experience, when they got rid of FBB for years at the pro level, Physique BECAME FBB because there was nothing higher than that. We were hoping the reintroduction of FBB would level things out again but so far it has not. Inconsistent judging feeds into this. Sometimes large women are penalized for competing in Physique and sometimes they are rewarded. The judging standards need to be finalized and enforced. If they were to do that, then you would see Physique adjust to what it was supposed to be.

i laughed way back when Dani Reardon told me she felt she had been punished for her size and density, but she wasn't as tall as the rest of the competitors so her build simply looked different. now she wouldn't place for being not big ENOUGH. and since both Natalia and Brooke have a long history of competing you can see really how much size they've put on.

its kind of a runaway train now. although i kind of have been wondering lately about FBB--Angie Yeo is not nearly as massive as Andrea and her placing second was a little surprising, i though sh might get third or fourth for size. I wish they would rein it back in to her size, and i think someone like Brooke would be ok to move up, or even Natalia.

although iv'e said many times the posing in WPD sucks lmao

Apr 08, 2023 - permalink

although iv'e said many times the posing in WPD sucks lmao

No, I think you said figure, which I agree with.

fp909
Apr 08, 2023 - permalink

I’ve said figure too but I hate the wpd hands.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »