Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Is female muscle more popular among the general public than we think?

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

I think female muscle is definitely more popular than many people realise.

I am a big follower of tennis and one particular tennis player (Maria Sakkari) is absolutely ripped compared to all the other female players. Whenever a photo or video of her is posted on YouTube, Reddit, Facebook and the likes, there are shitloads of comments from people admiring her muscles, expressing jealousy, and so on. I imagine many of those people would not dare to express such feelings in public, but it's much easier to be open online.

Again, online isn't quite representative of the real world. The way I see it, if it were more popular, you'd see more muscular women all over the place, but you just don't. I've been going to my current gym from about 6 years now, and I can count on one hand how many FBB-types I've seen there. Yes, there are fit women, but not the big strong fbb-types you see on sites like GWM.

I know I'm generalizing, but this same acceptance and admiration we see online just isn't anywhere near as expressed at the same level in real life. That's why female superheroes are usually played by the same skinny actresses you see playing all the other female parts. And it's not because there are no muscle-bound women who can act. If it were popular, some popular-but-normal-sized actress will just do what the guys do when it's time to play a buff superhero-type. She'd start eating, take steroids, get a personal trainer and live in the gym for a year to bulk up. They don't do it because, it's not popular.

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

You realize you might be shattering a schmoe’s perception of reality

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

I can tell you from experience that people don't like it. I have been building for 2 years. My parents don't like it. I had to move to a muscle gym because in a "normal" gym people would look, and some would make nasty comments. I've heard all the - "not feminine"; "must be trans"; "must be lesbian".

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

Muscular femininity is absolutely becoming more popular, accepted and visible in the real world. At least 50% in my gym are women lifting weights (not a muscle gym either). These are professional women, not FBBs in the strict sense. However, the very large, steroid users seen on this site are rare and very likely considered to be unattractive by most people. This observation somewhat parallels what I heard from women about guys. Almost all women like buff and athletic guys but do not find hulking male bbs attractive; descriptions like freakish come to mind. Perceptions on this topic on this site and in the public vary based on where one lives, education level, income, age/generation and probably IQ as well.

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

I just want to add that I obviously don't think that huge roided out women or female bodybuilders in general are seen as attractive to the general public and they probably never will be. I'm talking about normal girls having visible muscle or athletes with clear muscle definition.

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

I just want to add that I obviously don't think that huge roided out women or female bodybuilders in general are seen as attractive to the general public and they probably never will be. I'm talking about normal girls having visible muscle or athletes with clear muscle definition.

But what is a "normal girl with muscle"? Are we talking about the muscular non-bodybuilders here? Because, as has been discussed numerous times, the vast majority of the ladies featured here have bodies that are not achievable without PEDs.

Again, I do wonder if sites like this warp schmoes' perspective on what is actually considered "muscular" on a woman in a natural versus "enhanced" sense.

fp909
Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

i'm not reading all of these but here are my thoughts:

• if people are going to push "acceptance at any size" this should umbrella muscular women too, no matter their development.

• I wish i could say whether men or women tip the scales here. A lot of men wouldn't be into a lot of even the more normal looking girls that are on the site but with the addition of wellness I think you'd see more men who at least go to the gym taking a look. there are a couple of girls in my gym with that kind of curvy build (one I saw doing posing practice yesterday actually, even though she is far off).

• the worst enemy for women is other women--no one tears down women like their own.

would i say it's mainstream? no. but look how the views on homosexuality have changed over the years. "muscular women" as a phenomenon has reached a saturation point thanks to media: there's Luisa in Encanto that was making some waves, and then also you might see a little bit from Ant-Man where there's a muscular woman playing a sort-of bit part who once competed in figure.

cgsweat
Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

I can tell you from experience that people don't like it. I have been building for 2 years. My parents don't like it. I had to move to a muscle gym because in a "normal" gym people would look, and some would make nasty comments. I've heard all the - "not feminine"; "must be trans"; "must be lesbian".

That's very true. There are a lot of people, especially in today's culture, who find muscular, fit people to be offensive just based on appearance. It's a shame that those involved in "body positivity" are extremely prejudiced, in that they'd rather see 300-lb. diabetics rather than people who are fit enough to climb up a few flights of stairs without becoming winded.

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

That's very true. There are a lot of people, especially in today's culture, who find muscular, fit people to be offensive just based on appearance. It's a shame that those involved in "body positivity" are extremely prejudiced, in that they'd rather see 300-lb. diabetics rather than people who are fit enough to climb up a few flights of stairs without becoming winded.

I do agree with you that I am not a supporter of the "fat acceptance" movement. I think body positivity was started with good intentions, but it has since metamorphized into a movement that is pretty toxic. Like, if an actress, singer or influencer loses weight (like Adele and Rebel Wilson,) they get harshly lambasted by that group.

That being said, I also think there is a lot of toxic attitudes and body shaming when it comes to the fitness community and influencers within. You have someone with a picture-perfect physique who claims that you can get a body like theirs naturally, and if you aren't successful in doing that you failed because it was YOUR fault and that you're lazy and don't really "want it." There are a lot of unrealistic expectations that influencers throw to the public. I find people who have full time jobs, school and families to take care of compare themselves to influencers and athletes who are able to make training their whole lives. Anybody can get reasonably "fit," but influencer culture promotes this attitude that if you aren't "fit" to the level of them, you're not actually fit. And that's super shitty.

The problem with the internet is that the extremes in both directions get highlighted the most, whereas the more moderate, reasonable and realistic trainers and fitness achievements get buried under all that other content. You absolutely can make the argument that the "body positivity" movement is going in a negative direction (because it is,) but on the other side of the coin, the fitness community isn't necessarily the healthiest either.

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

In my experience, when I leave my house, most people don't know, or care, about female muscle.

Muscular women are still something you have to seek out on purpose. Even at my gym for every muscular woman (at least what I would define as muscular) there are hundreds maybe thousands of athletic/fit women.

There's a smattering of muscular women in mainstream media, but, while a muscle fetishist might freak out ("Holy crap I saw a bicep I saw a bicep") Most people don't even notice.

Feb 27, 2023 - permalink

I'm ok with body positivity to a certain degree.

What I find deplorable, mind-boggling, and utterly insane. Is the fatphobia movement.

Mar 01, 2023 - permalink

https://charmbeautify.com/beauty/do-men-find-.... Here's an article that a friend from this site, sent to me. You can just read parts of it but in summary, it appears that a much higher percentage of men, than we thought, might prefer muscular women, to some degree. Apparently most men apparently feel ashamed to admit it? 🤔

Dec 14, 2023 - permalink

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but there has been a controversy about this streamer .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41x1penkrw

and a lot of people online call her masculine and too muscular but to me she doesn't look very muscular. her chest is quite wide reminds me of someone i know irl but she is not very strong too. but if this is too muscular for around 50% of the male population what wold they think of someone like Melinda Lindmark .

Dec 14, 2023 - permalink

Not yet, but it is spreading like a cult thanks to social media.

Dec 16, 2023 - permalink

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but there has been a controversy about this streamer .

and a lot of people online call her masculine and too muscular but to me she doesn't look very muscular. her chest is quite wide reminds me of someone i know irl but she is not very strong too. but if this is too muscular for around 50% of the male population what wold they think of someone like Melinda Lindmark .

I mean Morgpie does lean towards the more masculine side. She's still attractive, but she got them linebacker shoulders. Melinda Lindmark is pretty thats for sure, but she is probably to big for most guys. The thing is most guys don't want a buff girl. A fit girl yeah thats fine, but I assume most guys on this site like the girls big. Also, not all look as feminine as others. Melinda look facially very feminine, where some other girls look more masculine facially which compounds with the buff body

Dec 16, 2023 - permalink

I mean Morgpie does lean towards the more masculine side. She's still attractive, but she got them linebacker shoulders. Melinda Lindmark is pretty thats for sure, but she is probably to big for most guys. The thing is most guys don't want a buff girl. A fit girl yeah thats fine, but I assume most guys on this site like the girls big. Also, not all look as feminine as others. Melinda look facially very feminine, where some other girls look more masculine facially which compounds with the buff body

Honestly, it's the voice that confirmed to me that she was definitely female. She's not particularly muscular but there's something masculine about her. Can't put my finger on it.

Dec 16, 2023 - permalink

Broad shoulders doesn't mean muscular. i knew a woman with a similar looking upper body. but her arms and legs were like sticks. she was like the opposite of the issue some fbbs have. where their lower body is perfect but their face is not and are flat chested. but this woman had a perfect barbie like face. and huge boob's and shoulders. but the rest of her body was not interesting.

Dec 16, 2023 - permalink

Broad shoulders doesn't mean muscular. i knew a woman with a similar looking upper body. but her arms and legs were like sticks. she was like the opposite of the issue some fbbs have. where their lower body is perfect but their face is not and are flat chested. but this woman had a perfect barbie like face. and huge boob's and shoulders. but the rest of her body was not interesting.

I didn’t say broad shoulders automatically means muscular. It does make a woman look more athletic though. I’ve met plenty of women with broad shoulders who don’t work out. I will say I still do a double take if a girl has broad should on the off chance she is muscular though.

Dec 21, 2023 - permalink

There are a lot of people, especially in today's culture, who find muscular, fit people to be offensive just based on appearance.

Can anyone explain this to me? Bill Dobbins described similar experiences in his book The Women. What is it about muscular women that outright offends people?

Dec 21, 2023 - permalink

Definitely want to check out those Bill Dobbins books, thanks for mentioning them

Dec 21, 2023 - edited Dec 24, 2023 - permalink

Can anyone explain this to me? Bill Dobbins described similar experiences in his book The Women. What is it about muscular women that outright offends people?

Could be the audacity of nonconforming with someone else’s idea of gender norms.

Could also be that many buff women are in-your-face gorgeous or at least trying to improve themselves which sharply contrasts with the offended persons fat, flabby body and their lazy personality.

fp909
Dec 21, 2023 - permalink

probably not dissimilar to how some poeple (me included) are extremely turned off by excessive body mods. i would never consider going ink-happy, chopping or splitting things, sticking stuff under my skin etc, i just kinda find it disrespectful to the one body that we do get to have

i assume that people that look at muscular women of any size and think its legit offensive is because there are some deeply held views of what they think women should be/look like and bodybuilding flies in the face of that. to be clear this isn't restricted to the over-religious but holding some traditional views helps that out. as always being attractive helps. you're more likely to get away with something abnormal if you're good looking at the absolute worst (obviously exceptions apply)

Dec 21, 2023 - permalink

You know now that i think of it, i've mentioned to a few people over the years that i like muscular women and sometimes i feel they will somehow realize i am bi from it, which is silly. Obviously most of the guys on here are probably straight.

I am seeing much more of a shift to an athletic physique being the desired one among women but a heavily muscled one is still not necessarily appreciated by enough men. I think alot of times the men that don't like it don't train or exercise that much so it probably makes them feel bad in comparison.

Dec 21, 2023 - permalink

Normal: Being turned off by something that turns you off about someone's body/appearance.

Weirdo shit: Being "offended" by something that turns you off about someone's body/appearance.

I recognize your right to be a weirdo, but you also have the right to be called on it.

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »