Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

The Way-Too-Early Ms. Olympia 2023 Thread

fp909
Jan 12, 2023 - edited Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

No reason to bump the old 2022 thread, since the season is over, but makes sense to maybe talk about this upcoming season.

Some news, and old news:

The O is doing away with (at least temporarily) qualifiers via points accumulation. This realistically only drops one or two women from WPD/Figure/BB, but hurts BB the most since they have the fewest athletes, and fewest opportunities to qualify via a pro-show win.

Top Three this year will auto-qualify: Andrea Shaw, Angie Yeo, Helle Trevino.

Margie Martin is now retired. NEW news is that Branka Njegovec has retired. Chelsesa Dion is taking a season off to put on mass--better to take it slow for the long term instead of nickel and diming the year.

Other than the current field I fully expect that this year Hunter Henderson will compete--she already has her pro card so she'll have to "just" win a pro show. There are also a few promising up and comers I saw from the Olympia Amateur:

Marilyn Yee won her pro card (and overall) and she looks amazing. I think she definitely has a chance to qualify for the O. The other two pro card winners (including Lada Philova) I don't think will be factors for the O next year.

Nina Amporful put on a ton of size the last couple of years and did fbb and placed second in her class behind yee. INCREDIBLE arms, very Shaw-like build overall IMO but raw. She's a year away from a pro card possibly and a couple of years away from the O with this kind of progress.

Melissa Teich moves up from WPD and will have to qualify--IDK how this works, will she also have to get her BB pro card too? I"m assuming she will just work on some stuff and go for it next year. She's always freakishly conditioned, has an incredible chest and back and legs, very dense and massive. Arms aren't amazing but it's not wild or takes away from her physique. IDK if she will qualify for the O in year one but it's certainly possible. May depend if they add a show to qualify, There really aren't a lot of spots.

Should be a pretty competitive year for BB.

Last year there were 15 spots up for grabs (I think), and more women coming into this division, although from this years top 15, now three (at least) are out

fp909
Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

For WPD Natalia, Sarah, and Brooke all autoqualify.

I haven't heard too much in terms of movement or news in this division, other than Melissa Teich moving into bodybuilding.

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

Rene Marvin is making a comeback. should win omaha. Sherry Priami is gonna get big this offseason and win a show. How many IFBB womens bodybuilding shows will be in EU? Will the IFBB and jake wood allow the russian mass monsters to compete? (Anastatia Korbleva/Lenova, Amazonka) Will south america host fbb shows for Alicone and Levyina to battle for an olympia spot? Whos gonna be the new girl to turn heads at the pro shows in 2023? Can anyone beat Andrea? Ms. Olympia should be top 10-15 athletes. I dont see anyone being close to andrea

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

Melissa Teich moves up from WPD and will have to qualify--IDK how this works, will she also have to get her BB pro card too?

In the IFBB, a pro card is a pro card.

cgsweat
Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

Can anyone beat Andrea?

Currently? Nope.

Someone has to really step up because the only competition she has is herself.

Margie and Branka are out according to fp909. I'm actually kind of shocked that Helle still has another year left in her. I don't see Melissa Teich making any kind of waves that Angela Yeo hasn't already made.

fp909
Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

I dunno that there would be a shakeup at the top, but the rest of the field could see significant movement with the absences and anything else that might come up

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

The only person I see properly challenging Andrea is Angela. Perhaps if she built fuller, not bigger, muscles. I'm with cg, though. Helle best days seem behind her, despite how amazing she still looks.

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

It’s petty of me, I know, but I want to see Anastasia Leonova get a visa to compete but fail to qualify just so her husband shuts up about Andrea being a paper champion. He will probably just pivot to conspiracy theories though.

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

I'm thrilled to hear that Rene Marven is making a comeback.

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

It’s petty of me, I know, but I want to see Anastasia Leonova get a visa to compete but fail to qualify just so her husband shuts up about Andrea being a paper champion. He will probably just pivot to conspiracy theories though.

I know border and visa rules are always in flux, but as of right now, Russians can get visas to Romania pretty easily. So, attempting to qualify at the Romania Pro is one option for her.

You say "petty", but I say "drama drives sales", whether anyone (else) likes it or not. You're talking about the husband, which means, by default, that people outside of Russia are talking about a bodybuilder most have never seen on stage. That's market power.

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

To @fp909 in NEW News; Branka has retired. I thought she just got started. I know she's not that young and I don't know her bio. I wonder about Michaela's chances of moving up. She's 100% dedicated to improve and we all know what her weakens is. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

fp909
Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

She’s been around a while but I think her last season got derailed becuase of covid or another Illness and she had maybe taken time off before? I don’t follow the euro circle as closely but she was out of nowhere this past year

fp909
Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

I know border and visa rules are always in flux, but as of right now, Russians can get visas to Romania pretty easily. So, attempting to qualify at the Romania Pro is one option for her.

You say "petty", but I say "drama drives sales", whether anyone (else) likes it or not. You're talking about the husband, which means, by default, that people outside of Russia are talking about a bodybuilder most have never seen on stage. That's market power.

I feel like if they don’t take advantage of relative ease of movement and keep complaining that they really don’t want to do it and just like the hype lol I’d rather see them make the attempt. There’s not that many chances in Europe so it’s a risk to do it but ya gotta put some skin in the game

cgsweat
Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

I will say that even though Margie is retiring from competition, I don't expect her to retire from bodybuilding. It might be the best thing for her really. She can do her own thing without restrictions.

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

Michaela Aycock gonna be as wide as she is tall!!!

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

Michaela Aycock gonna be as wide as she is tall!!!

she already goes through the gym doors sideways! haha

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »