Forum > Bug Reports > Thread

Chat

Jan 09, 2023 - permalink

Is chat crashing constantly for anyone else?

Chainer
Jan 10, 2023 - permalink

I made some changes and put in place extra logging so it might not happen tomorrow but if it does, I'll have a little more info about it.

Jan 10, 2023 - permalink

I keep on going out and in like a yo-yo.

Jan 10, 2023 - permalink

yes - i cant even enter chat

Chainer
Jan 11, 2023 - permalink

I am working on improving this. Hopefully tomorrow it won't outright kick you out or not allow you to connect, although it will probably still be laggy at times.

Jan 11, 2023 - permalink

still crashing

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

still not working for me either

Jan 12, 2023 - permalink

I’m not sure if other people have been noticing this either, but for some users, they are showing up multiple times in a chat. I’ve included a screenshot as an example.

Chainer
Jan 13, 2023 - permalink

I made more changes to it today. The difficulty is that it only fails in specific circumstances that I can't reproduce. All I can do is to look at the logs to see what happened after the fact, and put some code in place that hopefully handles that kind of failure in the future.

cgsweat
Jan 13, 2023 - permalink

Thanks for the bug reports.

We've received several reports over the last few days about these issues. Chainer is working very hard to fix these issues.

Chainer
Jan 15, 2023 - permalink

The chat has been stable for the past ~2.5 days, so I'm pretty optimistic... let me know if there is a problem with it again.

To give context as to what happened, last weekend I did a major upgrade to the software the site uses (not the code I wrote, but rather the dependencies (other software) used by my code) and the existing chat code no longer worked after the update. As a result, I had to replace parts of the chat code. Both the old and new versions behaved unpredictably sometimes, but I'd had years to work around the behavior of the old version, while the behavior of the new version was new. As a result it took a few days of trial and error to get it under control.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »