Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Is there anything about your favourite fbb that annoys you?

Dec 24, 2022 - permalink

The most recent thing I noticed is how Valeria Kord's voice has changed over the last year or a little more. She pretty much embodies my ideal female form, but how lower and not-characteristically-feminine her voice has become is a huge turn off for me.

fp909
Dec 24, 2022 - permalink

> I don't know anything about these girls politics, and that's not why I am here to look at pictures and videos girls. I am surprised that so many of you do. And I think it is lazy to blame "the patriarchy" as the reason independent minded women decide to improve themselves. That being said...I dislike Female Bodybuilders who espouse leftist views. I can't think of one in particular, but one has to exist.

LOL when you find a leftist Female Bodybuilder can you PLEASE send her my way. We're all trying to find her!!!

Chelsea Kline

fp909
Dec 24, 2022 - permalink

This is no one in particular but social media has destroyed expectations for most people. The ones pushed the top are either elite athletes, on gear, or both.

I see and hear of many people upset that they can only bench x weight for x reps and it’s not like repping 2 plates (women) or 3 (men)— well I mean such a low percentage of lifters can actually do that. You just see all of them because they are pushed by the algorithm and/or are popular posts. However I do see more people encouraging others who don’t have big lifts but are working (hunter Henderson has been great at this) vs those who are on gear and aren’t honest about it if asks. Hoping the liver king nonsense helps open some eyeballs

Dec 24, 2022 - permalink

This is no one in particular but social media has destroyed expectations for most people. The ones pushed the top are either elite athletes, on gear, or both.

I see and hear of many people upset that they can only bench x weight for x reps and it’s not like repping 2 plates (women) or 3 (men)— well I mean such a low percentage of lifters can actually do that. You just see all of them because they are pushed by the algorithm and/or are popular posts. However I do see more people encouraging others who don’t have big lifts but are working (hunter Henderson has been great at this) vs those who are on gear and aren’t honest about it if asks. Hoping the liver king nonsense helps open some eyeballs

That's a good point which has been raised several times in the powerlifting community. You get too immersed in social media, including countless YT videos - as you said, pushed by algorithms - of the likes of John Haack, Jamal Browner, etc. who function at aonther level. It is a double-edged sword: on one hand, it has the potential to fuel your motivation and by extension your 'gains'; on the other hand, they lift impossible, surreal numbers so you start asking yourself 'why bother' ? The worst cases are these TikTok teenaged chaps who are starting deadlifting over 600,700 pounds for breakfast and whose endeavours are getting more and more views, for the 'clout'. I can imagine the frustrations of many young guys coping with an inferiority complex vis-a-vis what they see on a daily basis.

You're right: benching 3 plates shouldn't be a source of shame, but of praises; I would go as far as saying benching 2 plates is really commendable !

Dec 24, 2022 - permalink

> I don't know anything about these girls politics, and that's not why I am here to look at pictures and videos girls. I am surprised that so many of you do. And I think it is lazy to blame "the patriarchy" as the reason independent minded women decide to improve themselves. That being said...I dislike Female Bodybuilders who espouse leftist views. I can't think of one in particular, but one has to exist.

LOL when you find a leftist Female Bodybuilder can you PLEASE send her my way. We're all trying to find her!!!

IIRC, Pam Hannam used to be a Berner (Bernie Sanders supporter) back then... Not sure what she is now but this quite fitted her personality.

Dec 25, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by tre_sayer
Dec 25, 2022 - edited Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

TL;DR That politics bother most of us isn't a coincidence, it's because today's politics speak to core values. Also, bodybuilding is expensive, but right-wingers today tend to be lower-income and lower-education (surveys consistenly show the latter), and that aligns with a lot of bodybuilders.

I share the sentiment that the super right-wing views that many FBBs seem so excited to share is the most annoying thing of substance. That word, substance, is why I think the topic trended in that direction and stayed there. A lot of the other things are pet peeves, or entirely superficial, but enthusiastically supporting the march of fascism (election deniers) or glorying in the idea that you may contribute to an innocent person's death (anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers) speak to the core of who a person is. Things like that are difficult to ignore no matter how hot someone is, and make you feel guilty just for being attracted to them.

I also think its worth dispelling some myths re: why so many FBBs are right wing. Socioeconomic factors are the right place to look, but I think they are being misunderstood. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that bodybuilding is expensive and higher income earners tend to be Republican. There are two misperceptions there.

First, bodybuilding is expensive, but bodybuilders themselves tend to be lower income. Most don't have full-time employment or work in high paying jobs and some are stereotypically supporting their unemployed bodybuilder boyfriends, hence the popularity of sessions, and more recently, Onlyfans. Most don't do those things because they love them, but because they can't achieve that level of income in a traditional career. There are exceptions, those with a huge social media following, but they're rare, particularly in the more muscular classes (WPD and FBB).

Second, high incomes tend to be associated with higher levels of education, and most bodybuilders are not college educated (which shouldn't be a shock, only about 35% of the general population is). The traditional view of Republicans is that they are wealthy country club types with Ivy League educations. That might have been true in the 90s or earlier, but its long outdated. Today, the biggest predictor of political leaning is education. The more educated a person is, the less likely they are to vote Republican (that's a well supported fact, not my opinion). Most FBBs tend to come from a working class background and did not attend college, or if they did, majored in fluffier subjects related to athletics. Again, there is the occasional doctor, lawyer, or scientist (the aforementioned Kristy Hawkins), but their rarity is precisely why we're so surprised when they pop up.

When you take those factors into account, add in the military/law enforcement influences, a ton of Evangelical Christianity, backgrounds that typically involve growing up far away from coastal American cities (and thus any of the people their parents teach them to hate), and the frequency of narcissim, the hard right-wing cocktail becomes pretty strong.

Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

TL;DR That politics bother most of us isn't a coincidence, it's because today's politics speak to core values. Also, bodybuilding is expensive, but right-wingers today tend to be lower-income and lower-education (surveys consistenly show the latter), and that aligns with a lot of bodybuilders.

I share the sentiment that the super right-wing views that many FBBs seem so excited to share is the most annoying thing of substance. That word, substance, is why I think the topic trended in that direction and stayed there. A lot of the other things are pet peeves, or entirely superficial, but enthusiastically supporting the march of fascism (election deniers) or glorying in the idea that you may contribute to an innocent person's death (anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers) speak to the core of who a person is. Things like that are difficult to ignore no matter how hot someone is, and make you feel guilty just for being attracted to them.

I also think its worth dispelling some myths re: why so many FBBs are right wing. Socioeconomic factors are the right place to look, but I think they are being misunderstood. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that bodybuilding is expensive and higher income earners tend to be Republican. There are two misperceptions there.

First, bodybuilding is expensive, but bodybuilders themselves tend to be lower income. Most don't have full-time employment or work in high paying jobs and some are stereotypically supporting their unemployed bodybuilder boyfriends, hence the popularity of sessions, and more recently, Onlyfans. Most don't do those things because they love them, but because they can't achieve that level of income in a traditional career. There are exceptions, those with a huge social media following, but they're rare, particularly in the more muscular classes (WPD and FBB).

Second, high incomes tend to be associated with higher levels of education, and most bodybuilders are not college educated (which shouldn't be a shock, only about 35% of the general population is). The traditional view of Republicans is that they are wealthy country club types with Ivy League educations. That might have been true in the 90s or earlier, but its long outdated. Today, the biggest predictor of political leaning is education. The more educated a person is, the less likely they are to vote Republican (that's a well supported fact, not my opinion). Most FBBs tend to come from a working class background and did not attend college, or if they did, majored in fluffier subjects related to athletics. Again, there is the occasional doctor, lawyer, or scientist (the aforementioned Kristy Hawkins), but their rarity is precisely why we're so surprised when they pop up.

When you take those factors into account, add in the military/law enforcement influences, a ton of Evangelical Christianity, backgrounds that typically involve growing up far away from coastal American cities (and thus any of the people their parents teach them to hate), and the frequency of narcissim, the hard right-wing cocktail becomes pretty strong.

Holy s***. You nailed it. Couldn’t agree more.

Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

Good point and (not to derail the thread) why fake naturals are so harmful.

Dec 25, 2022 - edited Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

Thank you for dispelling the socio-economic myths stated above.

Lefties are generally better educated and have more professional full time jobs.

The reason fbbs spew rightist red pill propaganda is because of their general low level of education and cultural stimulation.

What I also realized: getting huge and muscular is easy. It just takes time and dedication. The supplement and nutrition part can be understood by a toddler. It is one of the few endeavours where lower IQ people can be as or more successful than smarter people.

It is therefore no wonder that we have to mute our favourite fbb‘s stories in order to not feel like we are loosing brain cells.

Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

Nothing to add. That's a near-perfect summary. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

Seconded. There’s a few I know of who are left-leaning if anything.

Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

I prefer centrist fbbs and people in general.

Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

What I also realized: getting huge and muscular is easy. I did it in parallel to getting a PhD and then working a 60h Wall Street job. It just takes time and dedication. The supplement and nutrition part can be understood by a toddler. It is one of the few endeavours where lower IQ people can be as or more successful than smarter people.

Mmkay

mkr
Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

I've literally never thought about FBB's and their political views. Its amazing how correlated physical strength (or physical improvement?) is linked to "right wing" views.

[deleted]
Dec 25, 2022 - permalink

I've literally never thought about FBB's and their political views. Its amazing how correlated physical strength (or physical improvement?) is linked to "right wing" views.

I suspect that there is no correlation between strength training and political views. In other words, "bodybuilder" is not a demographic that can be politically defined. Bodybuilders probably come from all political demographics that has more to do with their personal backgrounds than their muscle-building.

I also suspect that the reason why it seems like there are more rightwing bodybuilders to people is just because the rightwingers are most vocal about their politics. I'd personally prefer not to know any FBB's political views.

Dec 26, 2022 - permalink

I've found a BIG difference between "people I like to look at" and "people I'd like to talk to about their socio-political views" in my life, so why should bodybuilding be any different? I'm just embarrassed for them, as if they somehow don't realize people are following them because of their body, and think we actually care about them as people.

cgsweat
Dec 26, 2022 - permalink

I put about as much value and interest in a FBB's political views as I put into an actor's:

None.

Dec 26, 2022 - permalink

I put about as much value and interest in a FBB's political views as I put into an actor's:

None.

Same. As long as they aren't out there killing baby seals I'm strictly live and let live. I don't know anyone's political views and I rather keep it that way.

fp909
Dec 26, 2022 - permalink

I suspect that there is no correlation between strength training and political views. In other words, "bodybuilder" is not a demographic that can be politically defined. Bodybuilders probably come from all political demographics that has more to do with their personal backgrounds than their muscle-building.

I also suspect that the reason why it seems like there are more rightwing bodybuilders to people is just because the rightwingers are most vocal about their politics. I'd personally prefer not to know any FBB's political views.

I bet you’d find a better correlation if you added the factor of age, although that might skew results anyway because I would say that many more younger people these days would call themselves a bodybuilder or power lifter vs maybe the 28+ crowd, and especially older than that.

But I also think the younger crowd, if popular, is smart enough to not torpedo their platform too much with politics.

HOWEVER however, this means other “annoying” things can pop up.

Here’s another one for me: pushing product. There are a fair amount that are decent with their choices in photography and many over the years that I followed for their look. And I understand they get paid to advertise but man some of them were so aggressive with it.

Idk, is it a big honor to be a “insert supplement” athlete? What do they get, like 20% off products they buy and 10% of their total code sales? Less? Do they get paid otherwise if they’re not carrying 150k+ followers? People making these big ass announcements and then telling us how it’s the best ever which is what they said about the last one they were partnered with.

« first < prev Page 4 of 4 next > last »