Forum > Bug Reports > Thread

Too many new pages?

Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

Hi, whenever I visit I have a habit of marking down the number of the last page so far so that I know how many pages of new pictures I'm going to find the next time.

Yesterday I left with the page count at 13299, today I found there were 13305, so I expected to find 6 pages of new content. Alas, there were only three, the rest I had already seen. Is it possible that new pictures were added to earlier pages? Otherwise I can't explain the three redundant pages.

Thanks Bitman

Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

What are you referring to by pages? Surely not pictures posted on the main site. Do you mean forum discussions?

Edit: Yes. I got it now. Pages of pictures on the main site.

Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

Yep, pages of pictures on the main site. Can new pictures be posted on older pages?

Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

I think the pictures are sorted by their id number and that there are gaps for rejected, merged and removed ones. This would be one explanation. I think the id is given to the picture when it is submitted, not when it is accepted and appears on the site. But I am not sure if or why the system would reuse old id numbers.

Another possibility is that there was a batch of pictures on the queue that took longer to appear on the site. Though probably not three hundred pictures.

fp909
Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

Pics are numbered by time of submission but queued uploads will usually show up later than direct submissions, which are usually more limited in number aside from a few posters.

It could be overnight there were a lot of direct uploads or the queue synced the next set of approvals which is why the big difference. But the only reason why a “newer” pic will show up on a higher numbered page is it wasn’t a direct upload. In that case check the upload number and if it has been merged at all

Dec 10, 2022 - edited Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

Yes, I know that not all pictures are in numerical order, and it's never been a problem. I reckon pictures aren't always approved in the same order in which they are uploaded.

My problem is that today it's been the very first time I found more new pages than new pictures, i.e. less new pictures than 100 x new pages. I've seen the opposite happen (more new pictures than 100 x new pages, or even less pages than the day before), but I guess it's when moderators mass delete unsuitable pictures, so it's pretty normal. Hope it's clear. I don't know what to make of it.

[deleted]
Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

It's insane how many images are on this site. Millions? Wtf

Dec 10, 2022 - permalink

Millions?

1,330,786 a minute ago. Number of pages minus one, times hundred, plus how many images on the last page.

[deleted]
Dec 11, 2022 - permalink

This is the most comprehensive database of images of muscular women on the entire internet, but I don't think the website was intended to be that. It was designed for polls, discussions, and a feed of most recently added images. It could be redesigned to be a better database, but that might impair the social side of the website.

Chainer
Dec 11, 2022 - permalink

Impressive attention to detail. It's not a bug, we restored some older images that had previously been deleted.

Dec 11, 2022 - permalink

Cool, that explains it. I guess there's no way of knowing which photos were restored then.

And yes, the sheer size of the database is mind-blowing.

Dec 11, 2022 - permalink

Yeah, if you just want to make sure you're looking at newly-uploaded images, marking down the last image ID # would be more accurate than the page #.

Dec 11, 2022 - permalink

It could be redesigned to be a better database, but that might impair the social side of the website.

Or maybe not. Sometimes all it would take is adding some new search functionality. For example if someone was looking for a person named Laura but could not remember her last name, the site could return a representative (not the newest or just any) image for every Laura there is. Maybe the most liked or most viewed image for each.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »