Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

For those who are bodybuilders...

cgsweat
Nov 18, 2022 - permalink

I have lots of love and respect for bodybuilders, as it takes an amazing amount of work, dedication and drive to carve out the body of your dreams.

Some things I've always wondered...

How much of it is mental and how much of it is physical? Do you ever settle on a certain physique, or do you keep striving for something "better?" Is the journey more satisfying than the goal?

Nov 18, 2022 - permalink

I’m not a bodybuilder, but rather I am a CrossFitter that a competes at the Rx level (meaning I can do all the “advanced” movements like handstand push-ups, muscle ups, pistol squats and the like,) so I think I can answer this.

It’s both, but there are a lot of workouts where the mental portion is so much harder than the physical, especially workouts that involve the simplest movements. When you’re in the middle of an exhausting chipper, it’s so exhausting to feel discouraged at how much more you need to do in the workout, or even with “being comfortable with being uncomfortable.”

And while I don’t train for aesthetic goals, I am always aiming to finish a benchmark workout faster than my previous time, or add a little more weight to my clean or snatch. But while there is satisfaction in reaching a goal like that, the journey is also very satisfying. It’s remembering how far I have come from when I first started, and realizing that sometimes the little things matter more than those major achievements: like doing an advanced movement for the first time since recovering from an injury.

Also, admittedly, I am motivated to lift by my attraction to muscular women. I fully admit that this is a judgmental view on my part, but in my mind, I feel like it would be a bit hypocritical to have an interest in muscular and fit women, when I’m not putting in the work to be muscular and fit myself. I actually find it quite surprising that more guys who are into buff women aren’t themselves into strength training or fitness in general.

Nov 18, 2022 - permalink

I haven't competed just yet despite of being bbing for longer than a decade. I can only speak from my own experience but for me it hasn't been challenging at all but rewarding. At a particular point you just click with the process and you do it automatically. In my case the limitation as been more physical than mental and I have to force myself to take rest or train lighter to avoid getting injured. Both the goal and the process are satisfying and you always strive for more. It kinda becomes an obsession and that's one of the reasons I decided to never try steroids since I believe I wouldn't be able to stop if I ever jumped in.

Nov 19, 2022 - permalink

I'm not a bodybuilder but I kind of train like one and my diet sucks. My goal is/was the look of a prime WWE Randy Orton/John Cena but a little smaller look (if that makes sense).

Also when I see a fbb working out it just motivates me to workout harder and I see quite a few that came into my old LA Fitness before it closed down.

cgsweat
Nov 23, 2022 - permalink

I appreciate the responses.

I've been kind of apprehensive about getting into bodybuilding just because I have an addictive personality, and something like that could easily consume my life. I avoid the gym, but I do basic calisthenics/cardio at home.

I tried bodybuilding when I was younger but I crashed and burned hard. I went into it at like 1,000% and made some gains but I burned out really quick.

Nov 23, 2022 - permalink

Not a bodybuilder but as with Gatsby, I picked up lifting because I admired muscular women and wanted to have common ground with them (and it works). However I enjoy the act of lifting because it gives me a vital form of stress relief and incremental goals that feel great to hit.

You mentioned that you have burned out before and avoid the gym so I have an unsolicited recommendation. Take it piece by piece.

I'd purchase a simple workout plan from a bodybuilder you admire and commit to it for 6-12 months. Get emotionally comfortable with the gym space and the major movements. Make sure you are eating enough before and after workouts.

If this lifestyle still energizes you once you've gotten this foundation of rituals laid, start pulling in other elements like diet.(if you want to make it fun, buy a cookbook full of dishes that you want to eat, none of that plain chicken stuff).

Nov 30, 2022 - permalink

I'm not a bodybuilder but I'd love to be. I lift a lot and lift heavy but I lack the discipline and the diet. I hope to get there though. I love muscle. The way it looks. I'd love to have more. I love to lift.

Dec 01, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
Dec 01, 2022 - permalink

The mental part of it was so much more difficult than the physical, and infinitely more important. That's what gets me through workouts on days I'm feeling worn out, run down, and/or sore.

After a few false starts, it clicked for me when I finally learned to start focusing on the process rather than the outcomes. By concentrating on the things under my direct control (whether or not I make it to the gym, the program I follow, the things I eat, etc...), I can give myself the best chance at achieving the outcomes I want.

Dec 01, 2022 - permalink

Whole thing can be summed up in two words.... BECAUSE RACECAR

Ever own a racecar hotrod or project car or twelve? It's the same thing. There will always be another car part or supplement or diet combination that will result in perfection, another improvement or change you want to make.

Diet and meal prep really is 70%, and you will eat more chicken and rice than you ever wanted to know existed so before you start see exactly how many recipes you can find for boneless, skinless, chicken breast.

Dec 04, 2022 - permalink

The mental part of it was so much more difficult than the physical, and infinitely more important. That's what gets me through workouts on days I'm feeling worn out, run down, and/or sore.

After a few false starts, it clicked for me when I finally learned to start focusing on the process rather than the outcomes. By concentrating on the things under my direct control (whether or not I make it to the gym, the program I follow, the things I eat, etc...), I can give myself the best chance at achieving the outcomes I want.

100% agree. There are a few absolutes musts to build muscle. Eat right and put your muscle under the right level of intense stress. Do that, and train often enough and you'll see some results. If you focus on outcomes too much it doesn't help. In my mind I want a physique like the greatest BBs that have ever lived. I have to be aware of my age, genetics and all sorts. So forgetting that and focusing on the things I can control is what matters.

Mar 01, 2024 - permalink

Anyone here who lifts tried Turkesterone? It seems variable as to the benefits but side effects seem minimal. Looking online and there are a million suppliers and hard to tell which are reputable.

Mar 01, 2024 - permalink

Anyone here who lifts tried Turkesterone? It seems variable as to the benefits but side effects seem minimal. Looking online and there are a million suppliers and hard to tell which are reputable.

It's bunk. Most supplements are trash and essentially worthless.

No supplement comes close to taking actual Testosterone.

Mar 02, 2024 - permalink

It's bunk. Most supplements are trash and essentially worthless.

No supplement comes close to taking actual Testosterone.

Of course no "natural" supplement is as good as taking testosterone, steroids or sarms. Some do have some effects though. I'm not expecting huge instant gains but if something helped by just a few percent that would be good. Turkesterone might be entirely nonsense of course.

Mar 02, 2024 - edited Mar 02, 2024 - permalink
Deleted by titu111
Mar 02, 2024 - permalink

Of course no "natural" supplement is as good as taking testosterone, steroids or sarms. Some do have some effects though. I'm not expecting huge instant gains but if something helped by just a few percent that would be good. Turkesterone might be entirely nonsense of course.

it seems like it was just a "trend", now most ppl avoids it because you almost only find bad quality Turk and even the good ones don't have that much evidence, unlike creatine that is 100% safe (unless you have kidney problems iirc) and proven that it works

Mar 02, 2024 - permalink

anyway back to topic, I always liked buff/strong girls but I always had health problems that gave me constant depression and almost 0 energy so for me sports were too tough, lately (around 30 yo) I found out wat the problems was and it's funny but at the start I joined the gym because I didn't know what to do with all the newfound energy, at the start I didn't like it much but I was lucky enough to find a place that it's a "big family" where ppl is nice, it's one of those small gyms where almost everyone knows each other, with time I started to embrace the healty side of bb and now I can't see myself eating as before and not doing any kind of physical activity. My advice would be to go (at least when you're a beginner) to a small gym, you will fell more comfortable and ppl seems more eager to help you (this is my experience at least, I went to a couple of big gyms in the past and everything felt too chaotic to me to be able to focus on what I was doing)

Mar 02, 2024 - permalink

I appreciate the responses.

I've been kind of apprehensive about getting into bodybuilding just because I have an addictive personality, and something like that could easily consume my life. I avoid the gym, but I do basic calisthenics/cardio at home.

I tried bodybuilding when I was younger but I crashed and burned hard. I went into it at like 1,000% and made some gains but I burned out really quick.

An addictive personality is the beat for bodybuilding. It will get you yhe physique you want, but it will cost you a lot from from your personal life.

Mar 02, 2024 - edited Mar 02, 2024 - permalink

Sticking to the diet is the hardest part, all that cooking and meal prep takes significant time and energy and if you are working a demanding job it can be hard to stick to the schedule. As someone who's still natural I'd say that the diet is the single most important part if you are not on PEDs, and that you can see respectable gains from the diet alone. I do two huge workout sessions on Saturday and Sunday and then focus on eating and cardio during the week. I'm lucky in that I have genes that react very positively to putting on muscle, though my frame is long and lean. If there was a men's figure division I'd definitely like to compete in it.

As to the original questions: I'd say it's equally mental and physical, and the hardest part is forcing yourself to cook when you're tired; the gym is the easy and fun part, especially if there's a lot of other buff people at your gym. As for settling: no, never! Always keep gaining and getting bigger and better! I'm an addict and I love it.

Mar 02, 2024 - permalink

I’m a bodybuilder and do the whole 9, so does my fiancè

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »