Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Who would you say is the Arnold Schwarzenegger of women's bodybuilding - Cory Everson or Lenda Murray?

(124 total votes)

Cory Everson (68, 54.8%)
Lenda Murray (56, 45.2%)
Nov 13, 2022 - edited Nov 13, 2022 - permalink

Arnold's seven-time Olympia winning physique is still considered the gold standard of bodybuilding decades later. His documentary, Pumping Iron, helped popularize fitness and bodybuilding. He became a highly successful movie star known for his impressive muscles, among other things. And, even though he doesn't compete anymore, he's still involved in the bodybuilding world, even having events named after him.

With all of that in mind, who would you say is the Arnie of women's bodybuilding between Cory Everson and Lenda Murray?

cgsweat
Nov 13, 2022 - permalink

If you base it off of their ability to get Hollywood roles, then I'd lean toward Cory. However if you're basing it more on a definitive physique, then I'd go with Lenda. And yes Lenda would also get credit for still being involved in the sport today.

I don't think either woman (or any woman for that matter) can really compare to Arnold. Hollywood just hasn't been as warm and inviting for FBB's, unfortunately.

Nov 13, 2022 - permalink

You're right. Even in Cory's case, she probably lucked out because she wasn't as muscular by the time she was making waves (or ripples) in Hollywood. 1984 Cory is ripped compared to Cory in the 90s.

Nov 13, 2022 - permalink

If you base it off of their ability to get Hollywood roles, then I'd lean toward Cory. However if you're basing it more on a definitive physique, then I'd go with Lenda. And yes Lenda would also get credit for still being involved in the sport today.

I don't think either woman (or any woman for that matter) can really compare to Arnold. Hollywood just hasn't been as warm and inviting for FBB's, unfortunately.

This pretty much nailed it right on the head. I wish there was a female bodybuilder or any female muscle personality that would have Arnold-like (or these days Dwayne Johnson) success, but that doesn't seem likely, even in today's world where there is seemingly more fitter women than ever.

Nov 13, 2022 - permalink

I hope one day we can have a world famous fbb appearing in the best action movies similar to Arnold but that will probably not happen for the next 100 years.

Nov 14, 2022 - permalink
Nov 14, 2022 - permalink

Double commenting but i think Cory was more similar to Arnold Schwarzenegger because she played in a few mainstream movies.

but unlike Arnold Schwarzenegger she usually played the villan or a minor character.

while i think ledna had a better phisique she was not well known outside of the bodybuilding world.

Nov 14, 2022 - permalink

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_Kyle

I thought about including Iris because of her historic number of wins, but it seems people have less than fond things to say about her, whether it be her supposed attitude or how her physique is what led to women's bodybuilding dying. Hell, I've heard more ladies talk about Lenda Murray inspiring them to become bodybuilders than Iris. Arnold has his fair share of haters, but it's safe to say that more people are willing to acknowledge his positive impact.

Nov 17, 2022 - permalink

What if we haven't yet had the female Arnold?

Nov 17, 2022 - permalink

^^^

cgsweat
Nov 17, 2022 - permalink

Yet nor ever.

I think the days of blockbuster movies are quickly coming to an end (if they haven't already). There might be another medium on the horizon that will take off soon that becomes the "next big thing," and maybe a FBB will rise to that occasion... but it just won't happen in Hollywood, especially nowhere near the level of Arnold.

Nov 17, 2022 - permalink

Yet nor ever.

I think the days of blockbuster movies are quickly coming to an end (if they haven't already). There might be another medium on the horizon that will take off soon that becomes the "next big thing," and maybe a FBB will rise to that occasion... but it just won't happen in Hollywood, especially nowhere near the level of Arnold.

Slightly off topic, but what do you think could replace the Hollywood blockbuster? I’d say streaming, but I think even the cracks are starting to show there, too

Nov 17, 2022 - permalink

Slightly off topic, but what do you think could replace the Hollywood blockbuster? I’d say streaming, but I think even the cracks are starting to show there, too

I think it will just be youtubers or something similar.

cgsweat
Nov 17, 2022 - permalink

Who's to say for sure? The thing that made the Hollywood blockbuster so popular is that people had fewer choices back in the day... pre-Internet. Today, even with streaming, it's just not the same. You can go online and see plenty of chatter about some series or movie on Netflix or w/e that everyone seems to love, but you might go and ask people you know in person about those same series or movies and they seem to know nothing about it.

In Arnold's day it literally seemed like everyone (in real life) knew about him and his movies. I just don't think anything like that will ever happen again. There's just "too much" out there now.

Nov 18, 2022 - permalink

Cory for transitioning to acting, Lenda for personality and ambassadorship.

But neither come close to the real Arnold. We as a society love our big burly men, and a bodybuilder as savvy as Arnold could easily become a sort of cultural hero. We're still getting used to big burly women, and even the best, most socially adept female bodybuilder will still be treated like an outsider by the mainstream.

Things seem to be slowly changing, so time will tell if that remains the case.

Nov 21, 2022 - permalink

Cory for transitioning to acting, Lenda for personality and ambassadorship.

But neither come close to the real Arnold. We as a society love our big burly men, and a bodybuilder as savvy as Arnold could easily become a sort of cultural hero. We're still getting used to big burly women, and even the best, most socially adept female bodybuilder will still be treated like an outsider by the mainstream.

Things seem to be slowly changing, so time will tell if that remains the case.

Agreed with all of these points. Honestly the closest muscular female athlete that we'd have to Arnold would be Serena Williams if she ever decided to take up acting. He had massive mainstream and crossover fame. Cory and Lenda are legends, but they're pretty much unknown outside of our world here.

Nov 24, 2022 - permalink

Both are adored & appreciated.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »