Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Going to a show for the first time

Oct 19, 2022 - edited Oct 19, 2022 - permalink

I have been thinking of going to a UK FBB show in a town near me this weekend. This would be my first bodybuilding show.

I am in my early 40s and have been a fan of the sport for as long as I can remember, or to put it another way, I find muscular women attractive.

What should I expect?

I am a bit nervous... I would be on my own and can't help thinking everyone there is going to know I am a "fan".

Am I going to stand out like a sore thumb? Why am I nervous? Any advise??

cgsweat
Oct 19, 2022 - permalink

I don't think there's anything wrong with going as a fan. There's no reason to be nervous either. It's not obligatory to interact with any of the bodybuilders, but if you decide to then just don't come off as a creep. Just show your support and don't be weird about it.

Oct 19, 2022 - permalink

Am I going to stand out like a some thumb? Why am I nervous? Any advise??

I generally find that challenging their strength (comments like "you think you're such a strong bird eh? Well I right think I can do a bunch more kilograms on the benchy!")* will warm up the ladies.

*I added a British accent since you are in England.

Oct 19, 2022 - edited Oct 19, 2022 - permalink

Before you ask what to expect, the first thing you should do is manage your expectations. Are you going simply to enjoy the show, or are you hoping to meet female competitors? If it's the latter, then I think it's important to remember that that is probably unrealistic. Are you into lifting or involved in fitness? If you are, it is much easier to strike a conversation with people about that topic if you are.

First off, what's wrong with people thinking that you're a fan? Of course you're a fan: people don't usually go to events unless they are fans of it. If you're worried that they're going to think you're a schmoe with a fetish for muscular women, I think you'll find that people aren't going to pay attention to you.

And like cgsweat said, if you decide and have a chance to interact with the competitors, don't be a creep. Be relaxed, congratulate them on their performance, don't ask them schmoe-y questions like "how much do you bench?" or "can you lift me?" and you'll be fine.

Edit: bodybuilder Crystal Anthony has a great video about how to date female bodybuilders, and she does talk about how to interact with them at shows. She gives some great advice https://youtu.be/1uf73-AsTcw

Oct 20, 2022 - permalink

You may consider wearing a top hat & monocle. You'll appear distinguished and civilized. Don't forget to tip your hat to the ladies as doing so shows good manners. By the end of the night, the women will be all over you.

Oct 20, 2022 - permalink

I found it to be somewhere between a sporting event and theater. The audience will cheer and applaud... and some may offer a negative response at times. No one is judging people in the audience. Some may think you are a relative, a friend, a neighbor of anyone involved... or just a supporter of fitness and bodybuilding in general. They aren't going to ask you why you are there (unless you ask them first). They aren't going to ask what gym you belong to. Be friendly and supportive with whoever is nearby. Be open to conversation or sit quietly and enjoy the show without expectations. I went without expectations other than to appreciate the effort of organizers and athletes.

Bodybuilding is a special interest. There is a culture around it. If you want to learn the culture, attending a show just offers one part of it.

Oct 20, 2022 - permalink

Thanks cgsweat and quadluvur!!

Oct 20, 2022 - permalink

Go and have a great time and just be yourself and pay them a compliment tell them they look great and to keep up the good work. A gesture like that is what they love hearing and they know there are people out there that accept them for who the are as athletes and not freaks. They hear all of that bullshit all the time and stupid remarks. Courtesy and kindness can buy you a lot and it doesn't cost you anything. Let us know how it turned out.

Oct 22, 2022 - permalink

So, got back from GPO Battle of Bedford, my first bodybuilding show, what an experience...

Good points... the female bodybuilder and physique and wellness girls were awesome "in the flesh"!

Two gorgeous bodybuilder ladies in the audience, as well as a couple on the judging panel!

The atmosphere was great, and seeing and hearing the support networks the athletes had with them was also great.

Bad... its a shame the girls were on after the guys as the audience seemed to halve for them... also they were on stage while the catering and sponsors were packing up...

To be fair, I think the whole show started late which did not help...

There was only 1, albeit gorgeous, lady in the bodybuilding division and only a few in physique, but again they looked awesome!

As a bit of a people watcher the experience has made me realise my complete lack of a "support network" in my own life...

Well done to all involved, behind the scenes and on stage!!

I am definitely an FBB "fan"!

Oct 22, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by Dontpanic42
Oct 22, 2022 - permalink

So, got back from GPO Battle of Bedford, my first bodybuilding show, what an experience...

Did you remember to challenge them in some strength category or ask if they could lift you? If not, I'll bet you went home alone.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »