Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Killer Sally on netflix(Sally McNeil)

Nov 05, 2022 - permalink

My question is since she served 25 years does that mean she was not a model prisoner? Most murderers serve only about half their sentences.

Purely speculation on my part, but based on what has been apparent in these interviews, it’s reasonable to suspect that parole boards did not consider her to be “remorseful enough” when she met with them.

Nov 07, 2022 - permalink

I haven't seen the documentary yet. My actual concern was whether or not it was a hatchet job, whether it was a sleazy sensationalist piece about FBB, or responsible journalism. I didn't know about this thread, and mistakenly made one of my own.

Nov 07, 2022 - edited Nov 07, 2022 - permalink

I wouldn’t call it a huge victory. I’m the case of women’s soccer they initially made the choice of opting for a safer pay option: guaranteed salary and benefits courtesy of US soccer if they were called up to the team which, by the way, likely covered all the pregnancies players had as well as gave them security during the pandemic. They had the option to pick the men’s riskier but potentially more rewarding structure that doesn’t include things like health benefits since it’s performance based. Many of the men could do this because their clubs were paying them much better than US Soccer could. To me the parties pushing for reparations for not picking the more rewarding pay option are in hindsight angry about not picking that option, which really only would have applied to the cabal of king time rostered players that more or less kept younger players from seeing the pitch or getting called up. Anyways, kudos for the men for being willing to part with some of their pot money to add some to the women’s pot. Though I wonder if the women started making much more for their success if they would allow the slider to move in the other direction.

TLDR they had the option to pick the more lucrative but riskier pay structure but opted for the lesser paying but safe salary and benefits option.

The women don't make as much because they don't bring in anywhere near as much in revenue from attendance and sponsors, in soccer or most other sports as far as I seen. As an example, the WNBA loses money and is paid for by the NBA through profits from the incredible amount of money the men's game brings in. I've had the opportunity to watch both NBA and WNBA games in person and there's no comparison. In fact I've seen men's high school basketball that's much better than the WNBA.

That said, I much rather watch the women when it comes to bodybuilding and all their divisions with the exception of the bikini division.

Nov 07, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
fp909
Nov 07, 2022 - permalink

It's simply because nobody wants to pay to see them (men and women both will not pay to see them). It's sad for FBB because their prize money does not even pay for their training (except for the 2 big shows, if they win it all). WNBA is RIDICULOUSLY subsidized to try and keep it going. It loses money every year. You cannot expect money to be paid for athletes that very few are willing to pay to watch.

BTW. We paid for the Wings of Strength Arizona this weekend. How many of YOU did?

THANK you. This is a huge pain point in this discussion for me. I know we're a bit off-topic on this but so many people who complain about the pay of the women don't do the stuff that pays the women like: watch, actually pay for the paysites, pony up on onlyfans if that's their side gig, etc.

you gotta be the change you want to happen.

Jan 15, 2023 - permalink

Is this doc the most mainstream fbb has gotten? Or was ESPN a bigger platform

Jan 15, 2023 - edited Jan 15, 2023 - permalink

It's a very well done documentary, astonishingly they provide BOTH perspectives re: what caused the tragic event, exceedingly rare in "the Age of Woke", highly recommend watching. What I found interesting was Sally's revelation when she was arrested initially, and how the various bodybuilding organizations and governing bodies, "respectable institutions" like the military essentially shunned her, while the routinely ridiculed and derided "schmoes", (who were supporting both she and her family, regardless of how you may view the situation morally), i.e., her customers from her private session side hustle came through for her when everyone else was abandoning her left and right, managed to bail her out of jail and fund a proper legal defense

Jan 15, 2023 - permalink

It's a very well done documentary, astonishingly they provide BOTH perspectives re: what caused the tragic event, exceedingly rare in "the Age of Woke", highly recommend watching. What I found interesting was Sally's revelation when she was arrested initially, and how the various bodybuilding organizations and governing bodies, "respectable institutions" like the military essentially shunned her, while the routinely ridiculed and derided "schmoes", (who were supporting both she and her family, regardless of how you may view the situation morally), i.e., her customers from her private session side hustle came through for her when everyone else was abandoning her left and right, managed to bail her out of jail and fund a proper legal defense

I'm generally not in agreement with any person who uses the phrase "woke" in an authentic way, but yes I'd go along totally with this take.

If there's one lesson for ALL of us on here... If you're accused of a crime -- never ever ever ever every say anything to police without a lawyer present.

Jan 15, 2023 - permalink

I'm generally not in agreement with any person who uses the phrase "woke" in an authentic way,

not sure what you mean here. If you are saying media has not become comically biased when covering almost any topic then you may need to give your own head a shake

If there's one lesson for ALL of us on here... If you're accused of a crime -- never ever ever ever every say anything to police without a lawyer present.

A-men. That indeed is the most important lesson in the Sally McNeil story

Apr 06, 2023 - permalink

Just started watching this. Which companies did she make wrestling videos for? I've never seen most of them.

Apr 06, 2023 - permalink

The DA and the Police found blood marks in a position that shows she shot him when he was already on the ground. That was, for me, the most interesting part: so many people believe in her innocence and yet such piece of evidence exist ? Curious to the say the least

That being said, it is a good documentary, I leave my recomendation here

Apr 06, 2023 - permalink

I don’t think anyone was thinking she was innocent. She shooting isn’t in dispute. Her defense was based on her being abused. I think her temperament along with a history of being abused caused her to say enough. The better course of action was her leave but she held to that relationship too long.

Apr 07, 2023 - permalink

I don’t think anyone was thinking she was innocent. She shooting isn’t in dispute. Her defense was based on her being abused. I think her temperament along with a history of being abused caused her to say enough. The better course of action was her leave but she held to that relationship too long.

Agreed. I'm not going to shed any tear for that POS.

A good lesson to all the angry husbands out there: if you don't want to get shot with two slugs, then don't physically abuse your wife and her children. Shouldn't be too hard NOT to do that, right?

Apr 07, 2023 - permalink

And the guy’s friend standing for him in those Interviews and in court saying he was a good guy. They probably didn’t want to know he was an abusive self centered jerk but his having an affair should’ve tipped them off that this was not one of the good guys

Apr 07, 2023 - permalink

He probably told his friends that the affair was all his wife’s fault. “I need more!” And that kind of shit.

Apr 07, 2023 - permalink

No doubt she had to serve time but the length I thought was excessive considering mitigating factors. I guess the parole board thought she was still a danger due to her temperament?

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »